Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Exercise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭3dogs

personally not a fan of these :(
    Same as you i am struggling to exercise my dogs thanks to the rotten, wet, muddy, horrible weather we are getting at the minute but I just stick the water proofs and wellies on and then just go for it.

Roll on the summer and some dry weather though, i am fed up leaving in a mud bath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

The only thing I mind about being out with the dogs this weather is the absolute state of them coming back - mucky all over - is there wet gear for dogs? That wouldn't restrict their running? It really is like a quagmire now where we walk and washing them isn't always feasible because I'm afraid they'll get a chill and then I'd have to wash them everyday - they are terrified of the hairdryer so I can only towel them down -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭3dogs

I went to the charity shop today and asked them for bedding and towels they have that they can't sell, my plan is to lay them on the floor as we're leaving and then hopefully that will catch some of the gunk when we get back. My youngest dog is a collie cross that has a long incredibly thick coat.
    She ADORES getting disgustingly wet and muddy.

There are coats available i believe, check out Zooplus but my gang wouldn't be happy in them

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dawney

If you're struggling with outdoor exercise, there's still lots of games you can play indoors which can work toward wearing your dogs out. My guy flies up and down the stairs playing fetch, and also loves it when I hide his favourite toy/some treats around the house and tell him "go find it". Training sessions also tire him out, all that brain work! There are lots of fun ideas online that you could try.
    Of course indoor games are no substitute for walks but they may help on those really horrid days that the dogs don't want to go out in either. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

3dogs wrote: »
    I went to the charity shop today and asked them for bedding and towels they have that they can't sell, my plan is to lay them on the floor as we're leaving and then hopefully that will catch some of the gunk when we get back. My youngest dog is a collie cross that has a long incredibly thick coat.
    She ADORES getting disgustingly wet and muddy.

There are coats available i believe, check out Zooplus but my gang wouldn't be happy in them

I don't think mine would be happy in them either my smaller collie runs like a greyhound after a hare and because he is squatter in size all the dirt flies up around his tail and bum - it's a real muck mess which is tangling too because he has such a long fine coat - oh well hopefully a few dry days will sort out the ground - snow would be good too -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

All 3 of ours love this weather, long Walks are a must!

Only 1 has a tendency to get mucky really, one wears a coat as he has short hair and feels the cold.

I too, cover the floor when we go out, and clean them down on return. Light a big fire too on return.

It certainly was not wet while walking them today, I find a god pair of Welles and a good hat are a must for me, I love walking them in the rain though and does not dampen the need for exercise.

All 3 are panned on the floor asleep now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My two like to go in the river etc so we're used to them getting wet all year round! I use neoprene vests to stop them getting too mucky this time of year though because the park is waterlogged. If they have a swim I have fleece jumpers to dry them off after rubbing them down with one of my best ever purchases - an easidri towel. http://www.easidri.com/easicom/index.php No more soaking towels to deal with like we used to have - you rub them down, ring it out and repeat then roll it back up and store in its plastic container when you're done. I do have a blaster but tend to only use it at the weekends/evenings just so they're not sitting wet for hours as our house can get quite cold and damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

Id be shot if brought two muddy dogs back in the house, they do love the cold weather do not so much the rain. We do training indoors with them but we couldnt have any games that involve too much stimulation our big guy would go through a wall or something.

ill need to matt out a big shed/barn or something for them

Advertisement