Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence swap

• 28-11-2015 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hey I was just wondering did anyone swap their irish licence for a bc one and then over to a alberta one?? Any issues doing so?? Did you need drivers abstract or anything when you had your bc licence only for a short time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

makita wrote: »
    Hey I was just wondering did anyone swap their irish licence for a bc one and then over to a alberta one?? Any issues doing so?? Did you need drivers abstract or anything when you had your bc licence only for a short time?

It's possible they may ask for proof of a BC address. But once you get the BC licence there seems to be no problem swapping it for an Alberta licence. You need to show driver abstract when getting the BC licence.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

In BC the licenses is sent out by mail 5-10 days after you apply for it. So you need an actual BC address for it to be sent to you. I don't recall them looking for proof of address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

We only have exchange agreements with Ontario and Manitoba...

cantdecide wrote: »
    We only have exchange agreements with Ontario and Manitoba...

Not true. BC, Saskatchewan, and New Brunswick also have the reciprocal agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Can you point to some evidence of this? Whether those states will issue a licence on the back of an Irish one presented, I can't say but I can absolutely guarantee you that if you show up to an NDLS office with a Canadian licence that originated anywhere outside of Ontario or Manitoba, they will tell you it's not exchangeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mossyman

Can you point to some evidence of this? Whether those states will issue a licence on the back of an Irish one presented, I can't say but I can absolutely guarantee you that if you show up to an NDLS office with a Canadian licence that originated anywhere outside of Ontario or Manitoba, they will tell you it's not exchangeable.

I swapped mine in Swift Current, Saskatchewan two and a half years ago and then to an Alberta license three months later.

I don't know about swapping an Irish licence for a Canadian one but I do know that those provinces have the reciprocal agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

While the above Canadian provinces will accept Irish licences. Only Ontario and Manitoba are recognised by the NDLS for exchange. That may change soon....but at the moment they are not accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Vologda69 wrote: »
    While the above Canadian provinces will accept Irish licences. Only Ontario and Manitoba are recognised by the NDLS for exchange. That may change soon....but at the moment they are not accepted.

Have you got a link to where it says this?
    Where did you get that info?

Edit found it https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html#holders-of-licences-issued-by-recognised-states

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

I swapped mine in Sask and might be changing to BC soon,going home next summer can't believe I'd have to do my test all over again that would be effing backwards to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Can you drive on a BC drivers license back in Ireland for a couple of weeks? I'd swapped my Irish full license earlier in the year for the BC license and want to make sure I can drive on the bc one when back for Christmas.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Can you drive on a BC drivers license back in Ireland for a couple of weeks? I'd swapped my Irish full license earlier in the year for the BC license and want to make sure I can drive on the bc one when back for Christmas.

Yes you can of course. How do you think people from overseas can rent cars in Ireland? :p

Is it a Class 5 or a Class 5 GDL licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

el diablo wrote: »
    Yes you can of course. How do you think people from overseas can rent cars in Ireland? :p

Is it a Class 5 or a Class 5 GDL licence?

You can drive on the BC licence for up to 12 months

STEINBERG wrote: »
    No you cannot their is no exchange process in place with BC. If they accepted your Irish licence over their for an exchange that is their process, If you return to Irlenad and try to change back you simply cannot.

You can only make an exchange from Ontario, Manotibo, Newfoundland and Labrador

It appears to me that you are very confused. I'm still trying to figure out what your post is supposed to mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Son wrote: »
    I swapped mine in Sask and might be changing to BC soon,going home next summer can't believe I'd have to do my test all over again that would be effing backwards to say the least.

No need to retake the test. Just report to the gardai on your return that you misplaced your Irish licence while you were abroad....

Don't mention an exchange took place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

As long as your Irish license is not expired by ten years, all you need to do is apply in person at an NDLS centre for a replacement. If you ring or email the NDLS they can confirm this and tell you what documentation/forms you need. No need to retake the test or lie to the gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

AmyPL wrote: »
    As long as your Irish license is not expired by ten years, all you need to do is apply in person at an NDLS centre for a replacement. If you ring or email the NDLS they can confirm this and tell you what documentation/forms you need. No need to retake the test or lie to the gardai.

Yes but your application to the NDLS will have to be accompanied by a garda déclaration form signed by a member as a verification that your licence is currently lost or stolen. If you swap your licence with a province that does not have any exchange agreement with Ireland, and you return to Ireland with that licence, then you will be required to resit the Irish test again.

Advertisement