Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview + presentation

Options
  • 28-11-2015 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Hi i would like your advise about my experience. I went for a job interview and i felt i did well answering the questions. Out of nowwhere they told me to make a 5 minute presenation. They gave me 2 min and they started counting down the time out loud- 1 min left, 30 seconds left, 20 seconds left...10 seconds left. I felt like crying, i couldnt even concentrate. I came up with something but obviously it was horrible and all over the place.I would have done it no problem,but some kind of notification would have been nice. I have this horrible cheated feeling now. What do u think or how would u have acted in that situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Maybe it was to assess how you work under stress?

Wouldn't have handled it as well as you though. Clammy shaky hands, palpitations, squeaky voice syndrome...etc.

Shouldn't that have been explicitly detailed beforehand though?! I feel like it was some mean hazing process.. or they've been watching too much reality tv quiz shows.

I'd seriously reconsider accepting a role if that's the way they carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Something similar happened to me but it was in a Presentation giving class. I was given 2 minutes to come up with a presentation to talk about for 2 minutes. I just picked a subject I knew well and spoke about it.

In an interview setting, they wanted to see how you worked under pressure. Did you completely freeze or did you manage something, etc.

Did the job spec mention anything about giving presentations or providing training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I would have walked out personally. You don't want to work for a company like that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

They gave me the topic of the presentation themselves. I had no choice there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

What made it extremely hard was that they started counting time, every time i started to concentrate, they were like "twenty seconds left." I didn't freeze or anything, I was able to give them a two minute presentation, but i felt like a fool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Johngoose wrote: »
    They gave me the topic of the presentation themselves. I had no choice there.

Well that makes it quite a bit easier, assuming you know about the topic. two minutes to gather your thoughts, and off you go, though I agree the count down would be off putting.

Was this for a tech company?
    I would have walked out personally. You don't want to work for a company like that tbh.

Easier said than done. Four minutes of feeling like a fool for a job the OP had already vetted and decided he wanted. Doesnt sound so bad to me.

Advertisement