Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old style pubs in city centre

Options
  • 28-11-2015 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Miserable old day out there isn't it. Anyone know of any traditional pubs in the city centre with a fire light, no Tv etc that I can take sanctuary in for the evening?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Library Bar in the Central Hotel sounds like what you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

timzil wrote: »
    Miserable old day out there isn't it. Anyone know of any traditional pubs in the city centre with a fire light, no Tv etc that I can take sanctuary in for the evening?

Keoghs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Neary's. Jack Nealon's. Peter's Pub. The Long Hall.

Jack Nealons definitely has the aul fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,853 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nealons has massive TV's though. Rarely up loud however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Mary's Hardware is a good spot as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

publin.ie has lists of both Victorian pubs and pubs with fires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Hootanany wrote: »
    Mary's Hardware is a good spot as well.

Hipster heaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Loopy wrote: »

Two big TVs in the flowing tide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hipster heaven

I'm not ever sure what that means but the few times I've been in there it's been populated by fairly non-hipster types including a family with kids down the back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Loopy wrote: »

That was an absolute dzzzzzive in the 90s, had it improved?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Yeah, pubs with NO TV. Few and far between. Keep 'em coming!

http://publin.ie/2015/pubs-with-no-tv-in-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Grogans.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Publin is really an excellent resource...

http://publin.ie/2015/get-cosy-in-all-the-dublin-pubs-with-a-fireplace/

Mulligans in Poolbeg St is a nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Hard to beat the Sackville Lounge

http://publin.ie/2011/sackville-lounge-2/

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 68,853 ✭✭✭✭L1011

uch wrote: »
    Hard to beat the Sackville Lounge

http://publin.ie/2011/sackville-lounge-2/

Also has massive TVs. That said, I think finding a non-craft pub without them is pretty much implausible these days - there may be one or two but that's it.

On quieter nights I've been in the Sackville its been one man operation (no floor staff even) which is a real blast from the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The Sackville - any time I've been in there, the TV is blasting sports at top volume :-(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Was in The Oak on Dame Street the other night, no TV or loud music that I noticed. Original victorian style bar fittings (allegedly rescued from some cruise liner), but no fire that I noticed. Nice pub, cant believe I've never been in there before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Gaspode wrote: »
    The Oak on Dame Street
    It was closed when I was past on Friday, presumably as part of the renovations to the former Thomas Read. It looked nearly finished so maybe they're opening in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gaspode wrote: »
    Was in The Oak on Dame Street the other night, no TV or loud music that I noticed. Original victorian style bar fittings (allegedly rescued from some cruise liner), but no fire that I noticed. Nice pub, cant believe I've never been in there before.

The Oak is a great spot. Lovely old style pub and the staff are all sound and you get a friendly clientele in there also. Unsure about the opening hours but I know that it doesn't usually open until the evening most days. No fire and there is a very small TV at the end of the bar but it's never blaring. It;'s the type of pub you go in for to have decent conversation to meet friends or even a quiet pint on your own while the other half finishes the shopping...

Incidentally I always hated Thomas Reeds next door, no soul or atmosphere about the place, in complete contrast to the Oak. Well due a makeover.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

BeerNut wrote: »
    It was closed when I was past on Friday, presumably as part of the renovations to the former Thomas Read. It looked nearly finished so maybe they're opening in the evenings.

It was Friday night I was there, place was pretty busy.

Advertisement