Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equine related mishaps

Options
  • 28-11-2015 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm not looking for medical advice or anything of the sort, just other people's stories to pick me up a bit, and show that there's light at the end of the tunnel!

I'm currently hobbling round on crutches due to a slight misunderstanding between myself and my mare which resulted in my pelvis fracturing in a few places. As a result I'm off horses for a while. My mares getting looked after but the problem that caused all this seems to be getting worse. I've people working with her to try to get to the bottom of it, but the more I hear about her repeating the behaviour the more I'm wondering will I ever get back on her. I've broken arms/fingers/toes before but this is the first major accident I've had. I've also never given a second thought to will I get back on before but this has rattled me a bit.

So tell me about your equine related mishaps, and how long it took you to hop back up? I'd love to hear stories that ended in getting back on the horse you came off eventually!! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Sorry to hear about your fall, fractured pelvis sounds nasty :( Hope you're on the mend and back in the saddle soon.

I fell off my mare once, partially dislocated my collar bone and fractured my shoulder blade. Got back on the horse there and then as I was away from home and didn't realise how badly injured I was. Got back up again the next day and rode for 2 more days before the pain got the better of me and I went to hospital. 8 weeks and some physio later, I was back up on her again. I was a bit nervous the first few times after the fall and I really had to concentrate on relaxing in the saddle again.

That was 2 years ago and we've been showing and hunting since. I think it actually helped my confidence as I was always a little nervy and now that I've had a bad fall I kinda feel like I've nothing to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Thanks valentina, did it take you long to relax again? I ask because my mare is super sensitive to my mood while I'm on her so that's exactly what is worrying me! Our first few sessions may be a disaster if I'm tense! Did you go straight back to your own mare or spend a bit of time on a bombproof substitute first?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I had an equine related mishap today and I wasn't even on the bloody horse!

Filled up a haynet and swung it over my shoulder to walk back to the barn, forgetting that I'd left my spurs on after riding. Spur meets haynet - Ah_Yeah meets concrete! Mud meets entire left side. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    I had an equine related mishap today and I wasn't even on the bloody horse!

Filled up a haynet and swung it over my shoulder to walk back to the barn, forgetting that I'd left my spurs on after riding. Spur meets haynet - Ah_Yeah meets concrete! Mud meets entire left side. :(

I might be a terrible person, but that story cheered me right up! I nearly did it myself once with a rug, but a wall got in the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

TG1 wrote: »
    Thanks valentina, did it take you long to relax again? I ask because my mare is super sensitive to my mood while I'm on her so that's exactly what is worrying me! Our first few sessions may be a disaster if I'm tense! Did you go straight back to your own mare or spend a bit of time on a bombproof substitute first?

It took me a few weeks, riding nearly every day, to relax again. I really had to train myself to just relax and focus on what we were doing that day. My mare has a very sensitive mouth, if I tense up at all she knows it right away.

I got back up on my horse right away, I didn't have anything else to ride at the time. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement