Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does age matter

• 28-11-2015 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

wondering........who is the radio guru who came up with the idea that radio presenters/DJ's should be in the same age demographic as their audience i.e. if the station is aiming at a 18-35 age group, then the DJ's should be in that general age group also. Of course none of the suits would admit to this as it would open the door to a discrimination action. I m aware of one 'young persons' radio station in the South East that has an unwritten rule not to employ any DJ over 40 y.o. Ironic when you consider that their own top turn and oldest presenter is well over 40 and continually pulls the highest listenership. I would have thought the ability to relate to, and engage listeners would be the paramout requirement?........Any thoughts??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Orange Pants

I radio which used to only hire 20 year olds has recently taken on older presenters Ray Shah and Stephen Cooper.

To answer your question tho, I really don't think it's tenable to have more than one or two older presenters on a youth station or else you end up as bad as 2fm was when John Clarke was in charge, with a housewives schedule of Ryan Tubridy, Gerry Ryan, Larry Gogan, Gareth O`Callaghan, Marty Whelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm 27 and all the music DJs I listen to are outside that demographic, John Creedon, Philip King, Tom Dunne for eg.

I suppose it depends on your tastes too, also I'm probably not typical of an average person my age.

When it comes to talk radio, most of the voices I listen to on a regular basis, both here and abroad are over 35.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Steve King

shabba man wrote: »
    Im aware of one 'young persons' radio station in the South East ....

Beat?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I m aware of one 'young persons' radio station in the South East that has an unwritten rule not to employ any DJ over 40 y.o.

Well that's just not true is it? I've seen the Drive presenter doing an OB in Red Square in Waterford and he's definitely over 40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Well PJ on Nova is in his 50's (sorry pal) and i know a lot of much younger lads who tune in to his show and its purely for the music he plays..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Well PJ on Nova is in his 50's (sorry pal) and i know a lot of much younger lads who tune in to his show and its purely for the music he plays..

He is well into his '50s too!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shabba man

Faugheen wrote: »
    Well that's just not true is it? I've seen the Drive presenter doing an OB in Red Square in Waterford and he's definitely over 40.

I rest my case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Weekly_Top_40

I think it comes down to how well preserved the presenter is too. If they're early 40s but look early 50s then they cant be on a youth station. If they're early 40s and look 10 years younger then there's no reason why they cant be on one.

Steve K for example looks younger than his years. It also comes down to the attitude of the presenter. Are they keeping up with the teenagers in terms of what they want from radio? Steve K is another good example of someone who is savvy to this.

An interesting topic.

I rest my case

I dont see how that 'rests your case'? You said it was an unwritten rule for them not to employ someone over 40, I posted showing your theory to be nonsense, and you're claiming some sort of 'I told you so' victory?

• Advertisement

I think it comes down to how well preserved the presenter is too. If they're early 40s but look early 50s then they cant be on a youth station. If they're early 40s and look 10 years younger then there's no reason why they cant be on one.

Steve K for example looks younger than his years. It also comes down to the attitude of the presenter. Are they keeping up with the teenagers in terms of what they want from radio? Steve K is another good example of someone who is savvy to this.

An interesting topic.

Are you serious...youre basing your reply on "looks" for radio presenting..hav you ever seen Steve Le maq, Mark Radcliffe...hardly super-models...:confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 205 ✭✭Datallus

It's all gone downhill since they sacked Val Joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shabba man

At Faugheen, I did not mean to claim any victory, when I posted 'I rest my case', it was because that is exactly the man I was referring to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Weekly_Top_40

Are you serious...youre basing your reply on "looks" for radio presenting..hav you ever seen Steve Le maq, Mark Radcliffe...hardly super-models...:confused:

You are aware of what era we live in yes? The Social Media Generation?

Radio is definitely no longer a man or a woman hiding in a studio with no one knowinng what they look like.

At Faugheen, I did not mean to claim any victory, when I posted 'I rest my case', it was because that is exactly the man I was referring to.

Ah my mistake. I'm guilty of reading what I wanted to read. Apologies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

I have to say in this posters opinion Radio Presenters are the most sycophantic up their own H%£es group you are likely to meet.

Radio presenting outside a few nationally known Dudes is very poorly paid but peeps are prepared to do it to feed their enormous egos and sense of importance.

Shelf life ..thankfully is very short...except for the likes of Gogan and "Cool" Dave Fanning ...who are on nice sinecures in RTE..and if reports are to be believed have taken ligging to a new high.

Nah mate ...not for me ....

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭smallfridge

It's interesting that on a lot the forum here people almost all the time speak of Dublin broadcasters and djs and the like. That's fair enough I suppose that's because it may be that they only know of Dublin radio people.

But whether theyre younger or older presenters there is some of the most talented broadcasters In Ireland working outside Dublin.

While I know one or two and they would definitely be egotistical there are others do it for the love of radio.

I urge anyone on here in particular if you primarily only hear Dublin radio to chance others. Like 96fm and red fm both have a mix of young and old presenters , radio Kerry have staff ranging from 20s to 70s on and off air, Tipp fm too and others. I mention this here only because while I agree there are a lot of presenters with massive egos there's also some great ones do it very well despite their age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I think the wage a DJ can expect has some part to play here. It might be easier to pay less to someone eager and new than an old hand.

I wonder are there a lot of younger DJ's now on the radio who would not have comparatively got a gig in the 80's/90's ?

I don't mean to generalise but I have seen a massive drop in the quality of new radio presenters on the radio in Ireland.

My own thoughts would be that for the likes of Beat, Spin etc that there is a maximum age for a jock/jockette. Being out of touch, no one wants that!

STB. wrote: »
    I think the wage a DJ can expect has some part to play here. It might be easier to pay less to someone eager and new than an old hand.

I wonder are there a lot of younger DJ's now on the radio who would not have comparatively got a gig in the 80's/90's ?

I don't mean to generalise but I have seen a massive drop in the quality of new radio presenters on the radio in Ireland.

My own thoughts would be that for the likes of Beat, Spin etc that there is a maximum age for a jock/jockette. Being out of touch, no one wants that!

Chris Greene would never have been allowed in the door of any radio station in the 80s/90s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

well for sure you dont have to have any interest or knowledge about music to be on radio now, which suits the under 35's presenters.
    it's all on a screen for them now.

• Advertisement

well for sure you dont have to have any interest or knowledge about music to be on radio now, which suits the under 35's presenters.
    it's all on a screen for them now.

Theyre all Wikijocks nowadays...........i'd guess not many have any real interest in music, its just a stepping stone to tv...the fools...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Matt Cooper could be listened to by anybody I believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

euser1984 wrote: »

He could be ...but would anyone want to ?

euser1984 wrote: »

Does he play music..???...i dont listen to him..

Advertisement