Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixar film, the good dinosaur.

Options
  • 28-11-2015 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up to anyone else bring smallies to the cinema in the torrential rain we are having at the moment. I would consider The Good Dinosaur not suitable unless the child is over 7. It is rated PG.

I brought 7,6 and almost 5 year old to it today and it was very violent. Too frightening for them really. All three of them were hiding under their coats, I took the smallest out for a small while. Several people left with their children.

There is a scene at the start where the baby dinosaur's father is drowned in a flood. We've all seen bambi, but this was far more graphic and with lot more flashbacks to it later in the film. There is also one scene where t-Rex talks about how to kill crocodiles, including saying something like letting a crocodile drown in his own blood. Another scene where some creatures persuade the Arlo dinosaur to help them get a fluffy cute baby creature out of a log, and then they proceed to tear it to pieces eating it. The main character is visibly hurt, and almost killed horribly several times. There is also a scene which seems to be the two child characters getting drunk on fermented fruit.

the film is quite dark, with only a few respites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

I had the completely opposite reaction from my 3 year old. We went to see it and he loved it and the cinema was full of kids of all ages.

I guess it really depends on the children!

As an adult I found it very funny and entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Took my two girls (3,6) to see it yesterday thought it was a good film they enjoyed for most part ,well for what they could see and hear cinema sprung a autism friendly screening ,lights on full blast sound turned down pretty low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Haven't seen it yet and will be wary going.

But isn't it off the amount of "kids films" out over the last while that really aren't made for young kids???

Coraline and brave are 2 that had my boys in tears. My eldest had nightmares about coraline for days after it. And we only got half way through it!!!

Even I found brave quite tense to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

ya i wonder about some of these films but then my eldest is only 5 and quite sensitive so its hard to judge sometimes. like while inside out was a great film, emotionally it took its toll on him. minions on the other had was completely harmless, paddington bear has its moments as well, but Hotel Transylvania was grand.

i suppose you see what is clearly a kids film and you just expect it to be suitable for all kids. my lad was looking forward to this one but i might leave it, its just that there are so heavily advertised its hard to convince him then that he wouldn't like it, we'll try charlie brown instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Pique

Gatling wrote: »
    Took my two girls (3,6) to see it yesterday thought it was a good film they enjoyed for most part ,well for what they could see and hear cinema sprung a autism friendly screening ,lights on full blast sound turned down pretty low

Aw, such a pity that a rare autism-friendly screening imposed on your cinema experience! I wish my little boy wasn't dependent on such screenings to be able to visit the cinema.

Maybe in future check the timetable for one of the 99% of standard screenings and don't diss the fact the cinema 'sprung' such a screening!

Anyway, sounds like a good film OP, if a bit darker than Pixar's normal stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Yep it all depends on the kid ! ... my 3 year old loved Hotel Transylvania - but got scared at Inside out !! .. mad ...

Pique wrote: »
    Aw, such a pity that a rare autism-friendly screening imposed on your cinema experience

Your obviously taking up something wrong somewhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Pique

Gatling wrote: »
    Your obviously taking up something wrong somewhere .

Nope, that post of yours read exactly like a complaint that the cinema screening you attended was autism friendly (which would have been advertised and not 'sprung' on anyone) and that it was a negative thing for you and/or your kids enjoyment.

Perhaps bear in mind the autistic kids that were there who wouldn't be able to enjoy a standard screening and that it was shown for their benefit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

pwurple wrote: »
    Just a heads up to anyone else bring smallies to the cinema in the torrential rain we are having at the moment. I would consider The Good Dinosaur not suitable unless the child is over 7. It is rated PG.

I brought 7,6 and almost 5 year old to it today and it was very violent. Too frightening for them really. All three of them were hiding under their coats, I took the smallest out for a small while. Several people left with their children.

There is a scene at the start where the baby dinosaur's father is drowned in a flood. We've all seen bambi, but this was far more graphic and with lot more flashbacks to it later in the film. There is also one scene where t-Rex talks about how to kill crocodiles, including saying something like letting a crocodile drown in his own blood. Another scene where some creatures persuade the Arlo dinosaur to help them get a fluffy cute baby creature out of a log, and then they proceed to tear it to pieces eating it. The main character is visibly hurt, and almost killed horribly several times. There is also a scene which seems to be the two child characters getting drunk on fermented fruit.

the film is quite dark, with only a few respites.

My kids would love that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Their aunt took six and three year old to see it. There were no complaints and they told me they liked the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Op, perhaps you are over analysing it?

If you look at every cartoon there's probably some things unsuitable for young kids. Perhaps they are allowing slightly more edgey things to go into kids cartoons now than they did 10 and 20 years ago?

I saw a character in Big Hero 6, the bad guy, and he was scarey, but didn't seem to bother my kids, yet I know it would have scared me senseless at their ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

NIMAN wrote: »
    Op, perhaps you are over analysing it?

If you look at every cartoon there's probably some things unsuitable for young kids. Perhaps they are allowing slightly more edgey things to go into kids cartoons now than they did 10 and 20 years ago?

I saw a character in Big Hero 6, the bad guy, and he was scarey, but didn't seem to bother my kids, yet I know it would have scared me senseless at their ages.

They were genuinely frightened. If a child is crying and trying to get under the cinema seat, (like the children in front of us), it is a bit much for them. Just passing on our own experience. What analysing do you mean?

Like I said, even bambi had the bit with the deer getting shot, and that's decades old. There has to be some bit of drama to make a film engaging, it's not a complaint, just a note of warning so that people who have small children who may be scared don't end up wasting their money and time on an experience that was not enjoyable for them. We found this particular one was probably better suited to slightly older children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Saw it last week with a 6 and 3 year old.
    They loved it. The 6yo is a bit emotional at the best of times and shed a tear at one of the sadder scenes but he had no fear. The 3yo was only worried when her mini box of pringles were gone!
    Id have no bothers reccommending it to parents with kids the same age as mine.

Off topic but we watched Toy Story 1 yesterday and omg, what a movie. Hard to believe its 20 years old. Anyone with young kids should watch it over christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

.red. wrote: »
    Saw it last week with a 6 and 3 year old.
    They loved it. The 6yo is a bit emotional at the best of times and shed a tear at one of the sadder scenes but he had no fear. The 3yo was only worried when her mini box of pringles were gone!
    Id have no bothers reccommending it to parents with kids the same age as mine.

Off topic but we watched Toy Story 1 yesterday and omg, what a movie. Hard to believe its 20 years old. Anyone with young kids should watch it over christmas.
    Oh Toy Story is great!
    My son (3.5) will randomly come out with "I'm Mrs Nesbitt" and laugh hysterically!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Gods we're raising some very special snowflakes in this day and age. A movie about dinosaurs being criticised because they ate other dinosaurs? :eek:

Kids movies have always had dark elements Dumbo got drunk and was more than a touch racist, The Black Cauldron had a full-blown necromantic army!

OP thank you for taking the time to put up this information. Just because all children are different does not mean your children are sensitive or anything else.

I know plenty of kids who each react differently to the same movie. Disney and pixar can get dark... too much so sometimes and its nice to have a heads up so as we are aware to be cautious going to see the film.

Thanks. Haven't been to see it yet but my eldest can be very sensitive to some things (such as mufasas death) but has no problem watching Jurassic park/world.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Gods we're raising some very special snowflakes in this day and age. A movie about dinosaurs being criticised because they ate other dinosaurs? :eek:

Kids movies have always had dark elements Dumbo got drunk and was more than a touch racist, The Black Cauldron had a full-blown necromantic army!

The OP gave her children's reaction and opinion on the movie. Don't see any critisim there. If my kids got that upset at something I would be passing the word around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Also there can be things in kids films that adults can find dark or inappropriate but that go completely over kids heads. I remember watching E.T as an adult having not seen it since childhood and I noticed themes that had completely passed me by, like the parents recently having seperated for example. That went over my head as a kid. I knew the dad wasn't around but thought he was at work or something.
    Same reason that most adults bawl during the opening few minutes of Up, but kids remain fairly oblivious to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My goodness some folks get testy about a description of a film, and how some small children reacted to it. No chance of chillaxing I guess?

Some people eh. Sitting around, thinking "I know, it'll be a great idea to go insulting a random 4 year old girl because they were frightened of something... That will make me appear both brave and clever at the same time".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It was a generalisation not directed at your child directly as I read it. Children are being wrapped in cotton wool a lot these days - not allowed run incase they scuff their knees, get wet in case they catch a cold, etc. That's what i read the post as referring too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Orion wrote: »
    It was a generalisation not directed at your child directly as I read it. Children are being wrapped in cotton wool a lot these days - not allowed run incase they scuff their knees, get wet in case they catch a cold, etc. That's what i read the post as referring too.

That has nothing to do with it's. It's an assumption that parents are overprotective because they comment that kids were scared. My six year old had absolutely no reaction to this movie and dealt with death of his great grandmother without any problems but he doesn't like to watch How to train your Dragon 2 because of character death. So yes kids get scared about different things, I really don't like the assumption that you are raising precious little snowflakes unless your child is watching horror movies by the age of seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I think what is evident here is that kids are all different and react differently to various things in films. In a sense it makes the first post redundant although not invalid. If a film is rated PG then it's the parents call on whether there child watches it or not. The OP has given some insight for other parents to make a decision on, but at the same time is not a universal judgement on the content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Will be taking my 4 ye old to see this over Xmas. Will report back how we fare.

I'm 38 and still can't watch Mufasa's death in The Lion King and I ain't no special snowflake :D

mordeith wrote: »
    I think what is evident here is that kids are all different and react differently to various things in films. In a sense it makes the first post redundant although not invalid.

That's it exactly my 6 year old wouldn't sit and watch toy story or similar she prefers the likes of
    Grave of fireflys an a few other studio ghibli movies spirited away and so on .
    3 year old will watch anything bright and shiny .

Advertisement