Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 euro an hour??

Options
  • 28-11-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi.

I recently accepted a job. After accepting I was told wages are x amount, increasing to y amount depending on certain factors.

I've spoken to a former employee. I've been told the certain things needed to increase wages never happen.

I was confident they would, which is why I accepted. Now I've been told it's never ever happened.

Having done the maths, if the increase doesn't happen (it apparently never has) I'll be on approximately 5.50 an hour. :/ I'm far past my teenage years and have more than 2 years of experience so naturally this is illegal.

I've no other job lined up. Should I just walk?

If I start looking immediately for a new job, how do I tell the boss if/when I leave because I'm so new?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Why did you accept the job at so low a wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

What sort of job is it? That's crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

How are your wages calculated? There's very little exceptions to working under the minimum wage. What's your contract say (if any)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

You would get €186 per week on job seekers assistance, provided you are not under 26, living with your parents and do not have any significant assets or savings, it is means tested. at 5.5 ph it looks as if you are on less than 220 per week or a net gain from rock bottom of €34 per week. This does not make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi thanks for the replies.

The reason I accepted is because I'd rather not be on the dole and I was told that within a month, the wages for everyone increase because the factors that need to be met will be met and wages will go up and up. It's only now someone has approached me and told me the conditions are never met.

I'd rather not say what I work in but it doesn't fall into any exception group. Wages are calculated at x per week basic with y and z increases which would bring it to a good wage, if conditions set out are met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi doolox. I'd be on more than 34 euro above minimum wage. I'd be on a good % more. the reason it works out at 5.50 an hour is cos I'd be doing more than the normal 40 hours a week

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Are you calculating the money after tax, usc etc?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How many hours a week are you working?

Advertisement