Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

topaz in kill

Options
  • 29-11-2015 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I took my autistic son to this station every week to get a really nice Panini and ice cream from a machine. Since they changed the store the paninis are poor quality and very different and no ice cream machine for 99 ' s. Does anybody know anywhere in that area that does a proper Panini. because of the autism it's even worse (change)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I took my autistic son to this station every week to get a really nice Panini and ice cream from a machine. Since they changed the store the paninis are poor quality and very different and no ice cream machine for 99 ' s. Does anybody know anywhere in that area that does a proper Panini. because of the autism it's even worse (change)

The eurospar in kill village itself has a decent deli, as does the texaco in newcastle if that was on your route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Why is the autism mentioned - was there something specific that they did for someone with autism?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

delahuntv wrote:
    Why is the autism mentioned - was there something specific that they did for someone with autism?

Kids with autism hate change and so it's important for the little fella to get the same treat every week. The OP was just stressing the urgency of the situation.

Kids with autism hate change and so it's important for the little fella to get the same treat every week. The OP was just stressing the urgency of the situation.

I know that - but no reason to bring it into the post, won't make a difference to the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

delahuntv wrote: »
    I know that - but no reason to bring it into the post, won't make a difference to the replies.

Well it just gives the question a bit of context and makes it clear that the OP doesn't just have a craving for a panini and an ice-cream!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭lilydonoghue

thank you , I couldn't have put it better myself

Just let you know what angle I come from.

I worked on the "Ability" campaign. I have a relation with autism who is now in his mid forties. I also worked with a company in the mid west whose majority staff had a disbility and it sold its products in leading stores in Ireland and Europe and never ever publicised the fact that most of its staff had a disbility - and it was those with autism that did the more intricate work and that work was on a par with the best in the business. Their products stood side by side some very big brands and held their own. (unfortunatley the recession and cheap chinese product meant they closed down a few years ago as did many of their peers)

Focus on Ability but respect the disability. Shouldn't make a difference that your son has autism, he should be treated the same way as any other child and the answers here shouldn't be of the "suitable for a disabled person" type with you yourself just knowing that any suggestion should take into account the autism based on the autistic level of your child - somethign no-one here knows.

Positive focusing and equality with everyone else should be your aim.

As for suggestions - try Johnstown Inn. Great panini and fab icecream, some good quiet areas for him to be in his own space. Whatever place you choose make it to be a treat with a new place. Tell him how great it is, tell him he is enjoying it and point out different things in the place. Positive reinforcement by you will garner a positve response from him and change will be made easy.

Advertisement