Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New case on a medion computer?

Options
  • 29-11-2015 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I got a full system a year or two ago (3.4 i7, 8gb ram, loads of other stuff). It was a complete impulse buy as it was on there for 500 euro and the ram + processor alone came to 400 on site. The specs were very good, except for the GFX card so I bought it. When it arrived I went back on to the site for drivers (formatted it right away) and it was up there for 900 euro, so I think I got lucky!

Anyway, its a grand computer, but the case is utter pants. When I got the computer I got a 660ti, which is too big so the side of the case is open. So I'm looking at getting a new case and psu. I'll probably upgrade my GFX card too to something that'll knock the crap out of any game I throw at it. I dont really see a bottle neck there with the CPU tbh.

I've built a tonne of computers in my time, but I've been out of the hardware game for a good 7/8 years now and I don't know how companies like medion are with their motherboards etc... I recall dell / HP etc used to change the pins on the motherboard tray so that they wouldnt align with any other cases than dell / HP ones, they also had different ports for their PSU etc.

Is this the same with Medion? Is there anything that might cause my build to go wrong? I'd hate to dismantle my new computer only to realise I have to go buy a certain gen motherboard because my CPU needs x/y/z. Also, my gfx card is PCi-e, but I'm not sure exactly what version? If I got a gtx970 (or something like that) would I have interface issues? Or would it just throttle the card?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Run Speccy, find out what the board is from that. Google the board, see if its listed as ATX or M-ATX. If so, you're golden.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

inb4 it comes up as BTX or mDTX :eek::p

Odds are googling the model number will give you an answer. If not, you can usually tell what kind of rig you're dealing with by its orientation and the number of expansion slots (or gaps for - mass-produced OEM mainboards often leave out the odd connector or three to save money!) it has.

So long as the cards are on the bottom-left of the board you're likely dealing with an ATX-pattern board; mirrored boards that are on the "wrong side" of the case and have the slots on the bottom-right are BTX-based, Dell are infamous for those.

That said Medion often likes doing all sorts of crazy things with their cases; I've seen mDTX-based Medions and both mATX and mDTX-based units (and at least one full ATX!) that were rotated with a big blast shield covering the top of the PC; open it up and you find the IO shield, rear fan and cables all sticking bizarrely from the "top" of the case! o_O

Advertisement