Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AIG box clever trial

• 29-11-2015 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

A friend of mine has just got his first insurance on a car with the AIG box clever trial, he's a 24 year old with a provisional license with no driving experience. His insurance cost 2 grand less than any other company would quote him. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of this or what do ye all make of it? (Can't enclose a link but the terms are easily available on google)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Was it with boxymo? I know AIG underwrite their policies

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lismed

I'm not sure but from what I have seen the only condition is that he does not go over the set km/yr allowance he cannot be penalised. They will track his driving habits but these won't affect his premium but just just be kept for research purposes. I'm curious as to whether anyone has had this policy before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

lismed wrote: »
    A friend of mine has just got his first insurance on a car with the AIG box clever trial, he's a 24 year old with a provisional license with no driving experience. His insurance cost 2 grand less than any other company would quote him. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of this or what do ye all make of it? (Can't enclose a link but the terms are easily available on google)

How much did his insurance actually cost him....?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lismed

How much did his insurance actually cost him....?

1070, fully comp on a 1.4 petrol golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd be very wary of signing up to such a system.
    You say he cannot be penalised based on driving recorded.
    Can he be refused cover based on what they see?
    Can they pass this info to other parties?
    Can future renewals be based on driving as observed?

Even if this info cannot be used to increase premium, should an accident occur, all details would legally have to be made available and as such this device could result in a serious conviction if excessive speed was found to be a factor.
    Would be just as well be on the phone to the insurance company and the Gardai telling them everytime you go over the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 catmack

what's the latest with this. I am thinking of getting it. I have over 35 years of driving in USA and they quote me insurance that I could purchase a small third world country. Seems like a good deal, I am a low mileage, Church lady driver lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

catmack wrote: »
    what's the latest with this. I am thinking of getting it. I have over 35 years of driving in USA and they quote me insurance that I could purchase a small third world country. Seems like a good deal, I am a low mileage, Church lady driver lol.

If you've rung around to as many insurance companies and brokers as you can find and AIG is still the cheapest with this blackbox then maybe it's worth it to you. I know I wouldn't have one installed in my car, purely because I would be against the idea of an insurance company having a tracking device on at all times. But I concede that others wont have the same reservations.

Well, what is the problem with it if you aren't doing anything wrong? Who cares if they track it. If an intent is bad it will come to light sooner or later. I have never had such a heartache and pain in the rear and neck trying to do anything in this country without having to jump through hoops of fire. I notice that drivers are for the most part very careless and can drive 80mph up to a stop sign or do 120km on a country road with sheep and God knows what else. How can it be that that given my experience here that a lot of drivers for the most part are bad and dangerous, I see it on my bicycle. It would seem to me that given all the bs you are put through that most drivers would be exemplary, not so. I can tell you I was just about ready to forget about ever driving again till I saw about this option through Chill, I suppose it is underwritten by AIG. I had to come back and take care of my mother with Alzheimers and I know that's my issue and problem; I don't blame anyone for having to do so, but it would be nice not to have to pull teeth with every little thing in this place. I just want to be able to visit my mother in her nursing home and go to the store. A bicycle gets old and the weather is not great a lot of the time. What is the problem you see with it. I am not going to be raiding rural homes gangland style. I am prior law enforcement I don't care what the gard know or don't know about me. It seems the law abiding, conscientious person gets the shaft around here. Sorry just venting it has been like looking for the Holy Grail for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

There's no option on earth, I would let insurer put something like that in my car.
    No way!!!!

But why?

• Advertisement

I am in the forum, my email message said I had to visit the forum?

But why?

Because they can spy on me with that. They can check where and when I'm going.
    They can see my driving habbits which they might not like (extreme speeding, heavy accelerating, braking, big G forces on bends, etc...)

It's none of their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

CiniO wrote: »
    They can see my driving habbits which they might not like (extreme speeding, heavy accelerating, braking, big G forces on bends, etc...)

Actually it is exactly their business - to access the risk :)

Well, if I were you then I guess I wouldn't want it either, I don't care what they think about my driving and where I go. Big G forces on bends though is funny lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

But why?

Hi catmack,
    I wouldn't worry at all about having that in your car- especially if it saves you a lot of money.
    If I was in your position I would do it no bother.
    Once you don't drive like an idiot you have nothing to worry about.
    I think there's a lot of slightly paranoid people here. -:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Boxymo also install a box in your car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Too bloody right it's their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

The owner of aig doesn't give a flying **** if your in bray enjoying the sun or on leeson street after midnight looking for fun

All he wants is his money from you and if you're driving like a spanner around town then you deserve to pay more.

If you drive normal and don't act like an idiot then you can enjoy cheaper insurance.

If anything id support a black box in all cars and cameras as a mandatory thing for when it comes to accidents etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I had the option of downloading the driving app from 123 insurance and use it for the month of february. If I got a good score I got a 10% discount on renewal in May. It sure made me sharpen up my driving when I got some shocking scores on my first few journeys. I think they're a great idea. If everyone had one in their vehicle irish roads would be a much nicer place to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Practically all Irish Insurers charge an extortionate premium for 1st timers (regardless of age in most cases).
    If an Insurer is prepared to give a driver a chance to prove that they are conscientious and lawabiding before screwing them for Thousands of Euro's every year why would you not see this as progress in this country ?

.....and if you come back and tell me they do it differently in Poland, :P.

• Advertisement

Thanks for affirmations. I was starting to think I was crazy to even think about it!

grogi wrote: »
    Actually it is exactly their business - to access the risk :)

Well, I dont' like them to assess risk on spying on my driving.
    And that's why I'd never let them do it.

They can assess my risk on my driving history, which is 17 years driving without causing any collision which would attract insurance loss.
    They can base my driving on that.

The owner of aig doesn't give a flying **** if your in bray enjoying the sun or on leeson street after midnight looking for fun

All he wants is his money from you and if you're driving like a spanner around town then you deserve to pay more.

Why?
    Insurance should be based on risk.
    Fact how someone drives, doesn't represent a risk.
    Driving and claim history does.

If you drive normal and don't act like an idiot then you can enjoy cheaper insurance.

If anything id support a black box in all cars and cameras as a mandatory thing for when it comes to accidents etc.

I'd also support black boxes in every car, but ones which can be accessed only after the accident happens.
    If someone casuses accident, then their driving deserve to be checked.

jca wrote: »
    I had the option of downloading the driving app from 123 insurance and use it for the month of february. If I got a good score I got a 10% discount on renewal in May. It sure made me sharpen up my driving when I got some shocking scores on my first few journeys. I think they're a great idea. If everyone had one in their vehicle irish roads would be a much nicer place to be.

What is causing bad score on those apps and how can you score good?

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Practically all Irish Insurers charge an extortionate premium for 1st timers (regardless of age in most cases).
    If an Insurer is prepared to give a driver a chance to prove that they are conscientious and lawabiding before screwing them for Thousands of Euro's every year why would you not see this as progress in this country ?
    Well, considering how deep sh1thole the Irish car insurance market is, then yes - chance for affordable cover for young people is better than no driving at all.

But...
    .....and if you come back and tell me they do it differently in Poland, :P.

They do it better in Poland ofcourse. :D

Why?
    Insurance should be based on risk.
    Fact how someone drives, doesn't represent a risk.
    Driving and claim history does.

You are mixing cause and effect here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thanks for affirmations. I was starting to think I was crazy to even think about it!

You could try this crowd. They have policies specifically for workers living abroad. www.clements.com

I am resident in Ireland, clements is for workers in Ireland and other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I am resident in Ireland, clements is for workers in Ireland and other countries.

Ah, I thought you were working here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

The problem with the box is that all it can basically do is assess your speed, and even that isn't very accurate in certain situations like roundabouts or 270 degree motorway entrances.

51kph in a 50 zone? Thats speeding in the eyes of a computer analysing your driving, and you could be marked down for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's gas how many posters here seem to think that allowing a cartel of Irish insurers direct access to their driving behaviour would somehow result in cheaper insurance - have ye not read the Insurance quotes thread where people with flawless records have seen their premiums hiked significantly this year? All this would do is give them even more of a reason to do so, given the apparently random and often nonsensical criteria they use now, and you can be sure that in the event of a claim they'll use whatever they have to deny or reduce a payout at your expense.

What's needed to reduce insurance costs is Garda enforcement of more than just "speeding" or tax checks and Government action to tackle the legal costs and compo culture.. but I guess there's just lots of people in Ireland who view "1984" as an instruction manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's gas how many posters here seem to think that allowing a cartel of Irish insurers direct access to their driving behaviour would somehow result in cheaper insurance
    lismed wrote: »
    A friend of mine has just got his first insurance on a car with the AIG box clever trial, he's a 24 year old with a provisional license with no driving experience. His insurance cost 2 grand less than any other company would quote him.

Well the OP sems pretty convinced that a "Black box" saved their friend 2 Grand.....and no mention of a Cartel, just the one Insurer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I don't think much of these yokes either. Does anyone know what exactly they measure, record and report? I suspect it's yet another bunch of hokum design to nicely exploit Paddy's natural forelock-tugging toppademorninyeronnersorr aspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Well, what is the problem with it if you aren't doing anything wrong?
    Allinall wrote: »
    Hi catmack,
    Once you don't drive like an idiot you have nothing to worry about.
    I think there's a lot of slightly paranoid people here. -:)

You have a lot to worry about, and to be frank, direct and rude, people giving into this "blackbox" malarkey are just naive.

The insurance market is in the state due to a lot of things, including disproportionate payouts for minor and sometimes imaginary injuries, but one of the key elements is that there are no controls, no checks and most importantly, no transparency. Ask them about what makes a driver or a car more a risk than another and to see the data, and they say "business secret!".

In this scenario, they can do whatever they please and decide on the "parameters limits" of their blackbox as it fits them. Most likely, right now those devices are relatively forgiving, but give them time and adoption and when everybody will be showin up as a "very safe driver" on their screens, the parameters will be stricter and stricter and stricter - until it's effectively impossible to get a "pass" score.

And before anybody objects, yes it would be legal. They report to nobody. They do provide a service that is a legal requirement but there are no laws regulating it - therefore it's a private business and they can do whatever they please with their service characteristics.

He doesn't, however the quick-but-stupid-as-a-doornail software that makes the calculations does. Driving home at 3 AM? DANGER! Premium hike. And note, the software will have no idea if you have been boozing or were putting some extra time to finish that project before the end of the quarter. It only knows "night driving = dangerous" and applies its directives.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's gas how many posters here seem to think that allowing a cartel of Irish insurers direct access to their driving behaviour would somehow result in cheaper insurance

They can't figure out how the blackbox system only seems to work against the companies; If everybody had one, drove like old ladies and showed up as "very safe" in their DBs, they'd theoretically collect very low premiums - a disaster, because those premiums don't just pay for road claims, they go into the big cauldron that pays for the plane that crashed in Tangikistan, the building that crumpled in Buenos Aires and the dole scrounger suing Tesco for smashing his drunken face in the dog food shelf.

They give competitive prices now in the hope everyone gets it, so that they can put prices even higher when they are mainstream. It's a common marketing tactic - make something into a necessity for people by giving it away cheap, then start raising the price to rack in profits.
    jimgoose wrote: »
    I don't think much of these yokes either. Does anyone know what exactly they measure, record and report? I suspect it's yet another bunch of hokum design to nicely exploit Paddy's natural forelock-tugging toppademorninyeronnersorr aspect.

Anybody with a small bit of experience in engineering will tell you one thing: they can measure jack sh1t. Basically, all they can get is speed, G Forces, time, distance and location; All of it with a high degree of inaccuracy and completely decontextualized - you are driving 50 km/h, child runs away from his/her mom and darts in front of you from behind a parked car, you slam the brakes - DANGEROUS DRIVING! LUNATIC! Same with an animal crossing, or the old dear pulling off a stop sign 25 meters ahead of you. Every single driver will have multiple such events in a year, and be sure they'll lead to a hike.

Ridiculously, they can't measure the most dangerous behaviours - breaking a red light, stop sign, even driving the wrong way; As long as you're below the limit and don't accelerate/brake abruptly, you're fine :D

There is a very good reason why, for example, race teams spend hundreds of thousands if not millions of Euro on telemetry technology - collecting accurate data from a moving vehicle about its and its driver's behaviour is a very difficult task. Otherwise, they'd just stick a fecking iPhone in Vettel's or Hamilton's pockets and be fine with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    He doesn't, however the quick-but-stupid-as-a-doornail software that makes the calculations does. Driving home at 3 AM? DANGER! Premium hike. And note, the software will have no idea if you have been boozing or were putting some extra time to finish that project before the end of the quarter. It only knows "night driving

Who said night time is higher risk ?

If anything is driving at night not safer since very little amounts of traffic, less risk of an accident, less vehicles on the road means less chance of a collision.

Less people out means less people to run over etc.

You may bring the whole drink driving thing at night up but you could be gargling all morning and drive a car too. Consuming alcohol isint just restricted to night time.

• Advertisement

Who said night time is higher risk ?

If anything is driving at night not safer since very little amounts of traffic, less risk of an accident, less vehicles on the road means less chance of a collision.

Less people out means less people to run over etc.

You may bring the whole drink driving thing at night up but you could be gargling all morning and drive a car too. Consuming alcohol isint just restricted to night time.

And you are right, less cars, bikes, bicycles and pedestrians to crash into.

But you are using logic, a concept insurance companies have a selective view - it only exists if it brings money in. If it points out a fault in their ways, then it doesn't apply. The do consider night driving a higher risk.

Why? Statistics, which can be bent into shape to fit any scenario. There are more crashes and more injuries happening at night, plain and simple - unsurprisingly, concentrated on Friday and Saturday nights. But they choose to ignore this detail and simply put a blanket "night time driving is dangerous". They do apply higher premiums to shift workers - even if when you're coming off a night shift, it's most likely that you are as tired as you would be leaving work at 17.30.

That's where you, and all the other supporters of the blackbox system, are being naive: you believe the insurers will behave in a moral and honest way...:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The whole potential for telematics presents an interesting debate and also the potential for real savings.

Driving habits have a direct effect on the potential for accidents and consequently the potential risk / exposure for insurance companies. Anyone that thinks otherwise is blinkered.

A person driving a 2l Avensis that travels 5,000km per annum in a radius of 50kms is a much lower risk than someone that drives a 2l Avensis travelling 20,000km per annum across the whole country, even if they have the same number of years claims free driving / driving experience.

That is where the real potential for the technology arises.

I can understand why someone wouldn't want it in their car. A poster above mentioned extreme speeding, braking, cornering etc saying its not the insurance companies business. If someone is consistently driving dangerously they present a higher risk, it doesn't matter how many years claims free driving you have, if you are breaking speed limits and driving like a dick then the potential for an accident is much higher, again, anyone that says otherwise is blinkered.

If people are breaking the rules of the road then of course they don't want their insurer "spying" on them, because they will rightly be charged more because they are higher risk.

If someone is driving within the rules of the road and is as careful as possible as well as covering lower mileage then they should be charged less because they are lower risk.

Having a telematics device installed would likely make people be more concious of their driving habits for fear of being penalised by their insurer, by extension that will make roads safer.

Telematics is still a very new technology and people in general have an inherent fear of anything new, particularly when it comes to a product they are legally obliged to have but for people that are lower risk there is real potential for cost savings.

The whole potential for telematics presents an interesting debate and also the potential for real savings.

Driving habits have a direct effect on the potential for accidents and consequently the potential risk / exposure for insurance companies. Anyone that thinks otherwise is blinkered.

A person driving a 2l Avensis that travels 5,000km per annum in a radius of 50kms is a much lower risk than someone that drives a 2l Avensis travelling 20,000km per annum across the whole country, even if they have the same number of years claims free driving / driving experience.

That is where the real potential for the technology arises.

I can understand why someone wouldn't want it in their car. A poster above mentioned extreme speeding, braking, cornering etc saying its not the insurance companies business. If someone is consistently driving dangerously they present a higher risk, it doesn't matter how many years claims free driving you have, if you are breaking speed limits and driving like a dick then the potential for an accident is much higher, again, anyone that says otherwise is blinkered.

If people are breaking the rules of the road then of course they don't want their insurer "spying" on them, because they will rightly be charged more because they are higher risk.

If someone is driving within the rules of the road and is as careful as possible as well as covering lower mileage then they should be charged less because they are lower risk.

Having a telematics device installed would likely make people be more concious of their driving habits for fear of being penalised by their insurer, by extension that will make roads safer.

Telematics is still a very new technology and people in general have an inherent fear of anything new, particularly when it comes to a product they are legally obliged to have but for people that are lower risk there is real potential for cost savings.

There is no 1:1 direct relationship between driving habits and accidents; stating that speed and acceleration/braking alone dictate if you're going to be in an accident is a blanket statement, similar to saying "if you walk home at night, you're inevitably going to get mugged at some point". It might or might not happen, and some individuals will be more vulnerable than others due to variables other than the time of the day: one person may happen to never cross path with the muggers while another one does three nights in a row; also, an old and frail lady might be successfully mugged in broad daylight, a heavyweight boxer might never be in his entire life.

Besides the fact that those devices completely ignore very dangerous behaviours such as breaking red lights, stop signs and yield directives, which de-facto gives them an innate level of unfairness, the whole system completely ignores the most important factor influencing whether a driver is likely to be involved in a crash or not: attention and situational awareness.

There are plenty of drivers covering long yearly mileages, driving relatively aggressively, who have never been at fault for an accident in 20/30/40 years of driving; Similarly, there are a lot of "slow, calm and safe" drivers who could very well keep a tally of "things I crashed into".

A conscious, alert driver aware of the physics and mechanics of his/her vehicle, paying attention to the road and other drivers, driving a well maintained car at 160kph on a low-traffic motorway has actually much less chances to crash than a self absorbed, singing along the radio, turning around to the kids/passengers, oblivious and completely distracted driver on a non-serviced, bald-tires equipped car traveling at 120km/h on the same motorway.

I know quite a few "very safe" drivers who managed to total multiple cars in their "driving career". They're the kind who are always slow, never in a hurry but will turn to the passengers to talk, fiddle with the radio/phone/gps while driving, look at the scenery, fail to spot the stop sign and so on. One of them holds what must be a record of three head-on collisions in the last 10 years.

Insurers know about all of this very, very, very well. While the "slow, safe but distracted" driver who gets into accidents will still have penalties due to their claim history, and right now the electronic tracking system allows some companies to get business from customers who wouldn't normally fit their approved profile, if it becomes widespread it has a spectacular potential to ultimately raise average premiums for the people who actually never make claims and have long NCBs.

There is no 1:1 direct relationship between driving habits and accidents;

The idea of such boxes is nice and seems sensible, but in reality it does not make any sense.

Why? Because the nature of the violations that influence the safety cannot really be captured by it.

It will not know if I am running the red light.
    It will not know if I am not maintaining proper distance from car in front.
    It will not know if I am driving the opposite direction late all the time etc...

Yet it will penalize me if I take the car to the racing track to improve my skills...

Besides the fact that those devices completely ignore very dangerous behaviours such as breaking red lights, stop signs and yield directives, which de-facto gives them an innate level of unfairness, the whole system completely ignores the most important factor influencing whether a driver is likely to be involved in a crash or not: attention and situational awareness.

Excellent point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

How do these boxes work on cars with multiple drivers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Sarahkim24

Ive had this installed just over a month ago and its causing my car not to start. Ive had new battery and starter put in and still not workin it only seems to he happening since box was installed is anyone having this problem? It will start and then after its been driven if i try to start it with it in a few minutes it wont start and after leaving it sitting for awhile it will start again. Very annoyin as its so unreliable

Advertisement