Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant

Options
  • 29-11-2015 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi, ok so have been feeling different the last few weeks and did a test today which came up positive straight away. I am in a good relationship but we are currently living abroad in the UK. I really dont know how I feel about everything. I feel a bit sick thinking of it. I want to keep the baby but I am so worried about how I am going to tell my family (They will be very disappointed) I will have to move back to Ireland with my partner as I dont know how we would afford childcare over here. I am 27 is it normal to feel like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Hi Ciara,

I know when I found out I was expecting I was excited and worried all in one moment. That said we had just started trying for a baby so not exactly the same situation.

Try not to worry too much about moving home etc, you have another 7/8 months to decide on things like that.

Your family may surprise you with their reaction, try not to let their potential reaction influence your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

TOTALLY normal! I'm 25 and currently 5 and a half months pregnant. I don't mind telling you that it took me a good month at least to fully get my head around what was happening (it was a big surprise for us) - I was so worried and like you, really concerned about peoples reactions.
    I have to say now though, since telling everyone and fully accepting it, I've done a complete 180 - I literally could not be more excited right now to meet my little girl and everyone has been BRILLIANT after telling them. Even my ultra-religious grannies (we're not married!). You'd be surprised how people react to the news!

I know it's so scary at times trying to think of everything but please give yourself some time to adjust - it gets better I promise :) remember, 9 months is a long time to plan and get things sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The childcare thing really depends on where you are - like everything it's insanely expensive in London (we're probably going to end up paying 4 figures every month) but should be a bit cheaper elsewhere, particularly up north.

If you haven't already gone to your GP or self-referred then do it ASAP - it can take a while for booking appointments to happen, my hospital tries to do them before 10 weeks but mine ended up being at 12+2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The childcare thing really depends on where you are - like everything it's insanely expensive in London (we're probably going to end up paying 4 figures every month) but should be a bit cheaper elsewhere, particularly up north.

If you haven't already gone to your GP or self-referred then do it ASAP - it can take a while for booking appointments to happen, my hospital tries to do them before 10 weeks but mine ended up being at 12+2.

It's around 4 figures per month in Dublin too, for full time care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I don't consider 4 figures insanely expensive. I pay a grand a month for 1 child in a childminder's own house for 5 days a week (minimum 10 hours a day at 5 euro per hour)
    We get money back from the government for childcare though - which is means tested. We get about 180 a month back so that brings the childcare down to 820 a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

4 figures sterling is €1,420 and that's for the bare minimum with a childminder. Closest creche to my house is over £1,500 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

4 figures sterling is €1,420 and that's for the bare minimum with a childminder. Closest creche to my house is over £1,500 a month.

Sorry I was thinking of euros.

That's 2130 euro for creche, woah!

Advertisement