Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Reserve Stream--what does it offer ?

• 29-11-2015 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

On the face of it the new garda reserve stream sounds promising but having examined the information booklet and having thrown out a few questions on other threads I began to question what it really has to offer to eligible reserves if anything at all.

The only official information is contained within the booklet and the recruitment process outlined on page 8 only applies to general stream and the irish stream and as a result does not apply to the reserve stream. Consequently one asks the question , what is the recruitment process for the reserve stream and the only piece of information on this matter is a note stating that" Applicants for the Serving Garda Reserve Members Stream will undergo an alternative selection process to that outlined in the Selection Process Overview. This will involve attending supervised tests at Stage 1. Those tests are likely to be held at the beginning of February 2016. Further details will be made available directly to applicants closer to the time."

So what does that mean, It appears the reserves will be spared the experience of having to sit the first test at home but you will have to sit it in a supervised environment. However if you can pass a supervised test it means you would have passed the unsupervised one also and so there is no benefit here.

The booklet has failed to identify what this alternative selection process is (im assuming they have not yet finalised it and hence the reference to "further details will be made available to applicants closer to the time")

In addition where is all the training and policing experience of eligible reserves being taken into account because if it is the booklet fails to identify where and how this will occur.

Perhaps the supervised test for the reserve stream will be different to that offered to the general and irish streams and will test their policing experience and training but if this is the case it hasn't been clearly outlined and detailed

In conclusion and bearing in mind the information available I do ask the question what benefit if any does the "reserve stream" give to reserves because im sure they are going to start asking themselves the same question very soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Doyouevenlift9

The Reserve have there own stream as in all the Reserve will fight it out between themselves , giving a Reserve a 1/10 chance to enter then probs a normal 1/200 , they will just be treated differently and have better chance because there competing in a much smaller pool of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

There was never a separate stream for reserves before so I'd be counting myself lucky now that I'm exempt from one stage of the application process.

Everyone still needs to do some sort of aptitude test regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Yes reserves will and should have to prove they have the same smarts as everyone else. There is alot more to the fulltime role and as reserves have learnt the hard way the process of getting into full time is alot harder for that reason. Just because you have got into reserves and can perform the very basics of policing still does not mean that you are able for full time.

If you ask me reserves are getting a fair deal in the process in that they dont have to do one of the stages that is only there to cull numbers. Ye are getting a free pass ahead of everyone else. They cant possibly hand ye anymore as the minimum anyone should have to pass reserve or not is an aptitude, interview and med/pct. After that reserves will just have to man up and do the stages, if ye cant pass them 3 stages then ye should not be in full time. Simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

thekopend wrote: »
    Yes reserves will and should have to prove they have the same smarts as everyone else. There is alot more to the fulltime role and as reserves have learnt the hard way the process of getting into full time is alot harder for that reason. Just because you have got into reserves and can perform the very basics of policing still does not mean that you are able for full time.

If you ask me reserves are getting a fair deal in the process in that they dont have to do one of the stages that is only there to cull numbers. Ye are getting a free pass ahead of everyone else. They cant possibly hand ye anymore as the minimum anyone should have to pass reserve or not is an aptitude, interview and med/pct. After that reserves will just have to man up and do the stages, if ye cant pass them 3 stages then ye should not be in full time. Simple

I agree with some of what your saying, but I don't think anyone is getting a free pass here mate, been honest. I passed everything up until stage three and let myself down on report writing and job simulation. So the aptitude tests are not a problem for me, I let my guard down on something I should have known for the exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I think this stream helps the reserves greatly,

it certainly rewards the service from reserves and its up to ye to grab the opportunity and make it yours!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

The issue is that there is no clarity to date regarding how the reserve stream is going to operate nor is there quantifiable details as to how service will be recognised.

As the saying goes "the devil is in the details" but even though the campaign is open the reserve stream recruitment process has not ben disclosed unlike the recruitment process for both the general and irish streams which is clearly outlined in the info booklet.

I emailed PAS yesterday requesting clarification of the "alternative selection process" to be used for the reserve stream and I got a reply that the "only information available is what is outlined in the booklet"

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Has any Rerserves actually applied yet? Can you fill out the application form and the submit the signed form from your super at another date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    Has any Rerserves actually applied yet? Can you fill out the application form and the submit the signed form from your super at another date?

Wats the hurry in sending initial application
    You have until January 5th for that

D Trent wrote: »
    Wats the hurry in sending initial application
    You have until January 5th for that

What I mean is can I can you submit the two separately?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    What I mean is can I can you submit the two separately?

I know what you mean. I personally can't answer that.

I just don't see what your need or your rush in doing them separately.

I'm not in a rush, I'm just making an inquiry as I don't know when I'll get the form back from skip

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭LadyLucinda

Did I read somewhere that the supervised tests for reserves is on towards the end of february?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭LadyLucinda

Just applied there through the reserve stream. At the end it just said that I had applied for the job of garda trainee and nothing about the reserve stream. Is this OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shaunerz

Just applied there through the reserve stream. At the end it just said that I had applied for the job of garda trainee and nothing about the reserve stream. Is this OK?

If you apply through the reserve stream it askes you to upload your reserve verification certificate, then they send you an email saying your application was successfully submitted?

well lads and ladies.

how are ye all progressing through the reserve stream. what stage are ye at now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭cluedo123

Copaholic wrote: »
    well lads and ladies.

how are ye all progressing through the reserve stream. what stage are ye at now

Medicals at this point.

how many made it past the interviews and into medicals.

Advertisement