Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

longford/cavan puppy school

• 29-11-2015 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi folks
    Got a 3month old pup who is reasonably wel mannered but refuses to walk on the lead. Im looking for a trainer or evening classes in the longford cavan area?can someone recomend one please?
    Thank you all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Can't help with puppy classes but just a tip, usually pups and dogs will be much more receptive to a harness rather than a collar and lead (if thats what you're using!) So unless of course you're already using a harness , I'd give one a try, much safer too as the collar and lead can be damaging to the dogs trachea if he's pulling a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭joeyboy12345

Its a collar im using!il try the harness so and see how i get on,id stil like to get him trained properly though!thank u!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Try walking with a pocket full of food.
    When getting ready to go out begin calling pup and rewarding attention with food, put on lead and do same, go out the door and do same, begin to walk coaxing pup to walk and reward good behaviour with praise and food. Gradually more praise, less food.
    This can take a while, 3 days of this on walks of 30-50 meters several times a day had my fella walking beside me. 7 years later he still looks to me and wags his tail to be told he's a good boy occasionally. Obviously works best before meals, and take food for treats away from daily meal allowance so not to over feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd suggest tying something light like a piece of ribbon and leave it trailing behind him in the house so he gets use to having a lead on - only do this under supervision though in case he chews it up or it gets caught in something etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

+1 on the harness. Put it on and then exclaim how handsome he looks in it, pet him, praise him, etc. Leave it on in the house.

If you have a car, maybe bring him out to the park or beach for a good leg-stretcher of a run, then when the knots and bounces are out of him, put the lead on for a short street walk, so he gets used to the idea that the lead is for the street?

Then when he's used to that, train him to come and get the lead put on and get a treat sometimes, so that it becomes normalised and you can call him to you and put him on the lead when necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

muddypaws wrote: »

Seconded. She is utterly fabulous. I regret not taking my boy to her sooner.

muddypaws wrote:
    Try Carole at Lilys4paws

Thanks guys for all the replys,bailieborough is just a bit far,im living in lisryan so cavan town,mullingar and longford town are all within half hour drive which is very doable.
    Bailieborough is almost 50 mins away!😕
    Any1 know of someone in cavan,longford or mullingar towns?please??

Thanks again for the replys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Thanks guys for all the replys,bailieborough is just a bit far,im living in lisryan so cavan town,mullingar and longford town are all within half hour drive which is very doable.
    Bailieborough is almost 50 mins away!😕
    Any1 know of someone in cavan,longford or mullingar towns?please??

Thanks again for the replys!

Try the dog ranch in Cavan town. No personal recommendations but the dog on the poster advert they have looks happy :)

mugsymugsy wrote:
    Try the dog ranch in Cavan town. No personal recommendations but the dog on the poster advert they have looks happy

Thank you!thats much more doable!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
Advertisement