Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping PC Parts in Checked Bagage

Options
  • 29-11-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

So,

Firstly, Newegg have some whopper deals on graphics cards over the 'holiday period' for anyone who finds themself in a similar situation to me.

So my housemate is going over to New York to visit family during Christmas. The import duties kind of nulify the deals newegg have going on, but if I were to get it shipped to her sister's (which she's okay with) and have her bring it it back, it's a pretty huge saving. (585 for an EVGA 980TI!!)

My question is would it be safe to ship it back in checked bagage? Would it survive the journey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It'd be sound I would think, they're not glassware or anything. Just ask them to wrap it up a little

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just remember the pain you'll have if you need to RMA it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

ED E wrote: »
    Just remember the pain you'll have if you need to RMA it.

...LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU EVERYTHING'S GOING TO BE FINE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Keggers2 wrote: »
    ...LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU EVERYTHING'S GOING TO BE FINE

Haha excellent.

I have bought a few high value things too in the US when there but its always in the back of your mind "what if?"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

magentis wrote: »
    Haha excellent.

I have bought a few high value things too in the US when there but its always in the back of your mind "what if?"

I bought a €3k projector back twice from the States over the years, never an issue

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Hmm...

My family heading to Boston next week, don't suppose anywhere they can walk in and buy a Processor off the shelf over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Fieldog wrote: »
    Hmm...

My family heading to Boston next week, don't suppose anywhere they can walk in and buy a Processor off the shelf over there?

http://www.microcenter.com/

Boston/Cambridge
    730 Memorial Drive
    Cambridge, MA 02139
    (617) 234-6400
    Mon - Tue 9 to 10, Wed - Sat 10 to 9, Sun 11 to 6

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

My housemate's agreed to head down to the Microcentre in Brooklyn while she's in town to pick up a 5820k for 110 quid cheaper than mindfactory has it listed for :D

A bit unrelated (taking my own thread off topic, mup) but can anyone tell me the difference between the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti and G1 gaming variant? They appear to be the same cooler, but there's a considerable price difference.

When I try to google it, it just brings up reviews of the G1 Gaming card

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Backplate and much more overclocking potential, I believe.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2705714/difference-980-980-gaming.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Keggers2 wrote: »
    My housemate's agreed to head down to the Microcentre in Brooklyn while she's in town to pick up a 5820k for 110 quid cheaper than mindfactory has it listed for :D

A bit unrelated (taking my own thread off topic, mup) but can anyone tell me the difference between the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti and G1 gaming variant? They appear to be the same cooler, but there's a considerable price difference.

When I try to google it, it just brings up reviews of the G1 Gaming card

Don't forget US prices do not include Sales Tax, may eat into your 'savings'

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Best thing to do is to keep the card in the anti static bag, ditch the box & insert and wrap it in sh!t loads of bubble wrap OP. I have RMA'ed EVGA gear before and it went to Germany, I expect you would have an easier time with them if you had to as opposed to some other resellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Evga now have a UK rma centre which is great imo.

Advertisement