Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Gold

• 29-11-2015 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

RTE Gold seems to be concentrating an awful lot on the 80s now, this is a decade that is already well catered for on commercial stations stations like 4fm & Today Fm, I think RTE Gold should be doing older music that is no longer catered for on mainstream radio.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

new schedule here, some additional presenters including Al Dunne, Karl Tsigdinos and Colm Hayes:

http://www.rte.ie/digitalradio/gold/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Jesus Christ. Colm Hayes. Again.

Fuck sake, RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

new schedule here, some additional presenters including Al Dunne, Karl Tsigdinos and Colm Hayes:

http://www.rte.ie/digitalradio/gold/

I see Karl Tsignidos is presenting The River of Soul. That show ran for years on Radio Ireland/Today FM.

I also notice Paul Moriarity on the schedule. Does this mean he has left Radio Nova again?

I also notice Paul Moriarity on the schedule. Does this mean he has left Radio Nova again?

He is now one of the continuity announcers on RTE radio 1, along with Michael Comyn and others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭squonk

I see Karl Tsignidos is presenting The River of Soul. That show ran for years on Radio Ireland/Today FM.

Wish that was a mainstream show! It was very good!

• Advertisement

I really wish this station would go on nationwide FM!

RTE GOLD will be simulcasted / streamed on RTE Radio 1 25th December (Incl 252 LW) 12.30am to 6am !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

RTE GOLD will be simulcasted / streamed on RTE Radio 1 25th December (Incl 252 LW) 12.30am to 6am ![/QUOTE

I also heard that apparently RTÉ Gold was going to be simulcast on RTÉ Radio 1 from 00:30 to 06:00hrs under the programme name: "Music Through The Night" starting in the wee early hours of Christmas Day which is only a short time away now! I'm not sure if this is the first time that RTÉ Gold is to be heard over the FM band as normally it is only accessible via Internet/Saorview/Virgin Media-UPC/DAB in Dublin, Cork & Limerick City areas. Just 25 minutes to go before this simulcast with RTÉ Gold begins.

Incidentally, Late Date the usual programme broadcast at this time until 2:00am is on a holiday tonight and Alf McCarthy is hanging up his presenter's microphone on 30th December next after 35years on RTÉ Radio in some form or other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

RTE GOLD will be simulcasted / streamed on RTE Radio 1 25th December (Incl 252 LW) 12.30am to 6am !

IDing as "RTE Gold and RTE Radio 1".
    Is it VTed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Ffs, can RTE not do anything right!!!!!!
    Half way through the 1am news we get music drowning out the newsreader!
    ****in amatures.

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    ****in amatures.

Ah you'll probably remember one Bank Holiday Weekend during Summer period (it was either over the May/June/August long wkd) there was a complete mix-up about who on the roster was supposed to present Late Date and nobody ended up in the hot seat and there was hours of Christmas themed music playing endlessly during Summertime! Yes, it seems hard to believe but I think it happened a 2nd time (either the following night or within weeks again) which showed our public service national radio station up very badly indeed! I think Fiachna Ó Braonáin (Hothouse Flowers) explained he should have been there to present the show and it was a genuine error on his part but there are others in RTÉ Management who were asleep on the job in my view!

I think the overall governance and communications error reflects an even bigger error all the way from the top down as it showed up a number of shortcomings when this occurred. It may have not been as big a deal on less well known RTÉ Digital station such as CHILL (it comes on after RTÉ junior) with limited audience I imagine but for Ireland's national station RTÉ Radio One it was downright careless and showed little regard for it's loyal regular Licence Fee/public tax payer!

Was there nobody in Management able to override inappropriate music content and sort it AND/OR have a last minute stand-in presenter too...There must be RTÉ personnel living near RTÉ Montrose H.Q. Campus in Donnybrook...Derek Mooney or others springs to mind? Maybe presenters should be required to communicate before they arrive on shift - otherwise, a verification check is made to confirm you are due to go on air tonight for the record or do we have our wires crossed here?

You would think that if you need an automatic "Plan B/Emergency" Christmas themed music playlist it would be removed in January and not re-inserted again until the following December. The Plan B/Emergency needs to reflect the correct theme that is not out of sync with the season at least!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I really wish this station would go on nationwide FM!

Ah that would be thinking straight - However that said; you would probably have a queue of objections from the Independent commercial radio sector if it was taking away some of their listenership from other stations that use the classic hits/golden oldies formula. Maybe they might get away with simulcasting RTÉ Gold on other RTÉ Radio on FM networks during the wee hours after 12Midnight-6am but I just cannot envisage it going out on FM during the peak daytime/early evening periods which is a pity.

****in amatures.

This seems to be happening on many stations (including RTÉ Radio) to be fair - It's sloppy and shows standards have dropped a lot in recent times. It comes across as highly unprofessional alright and they have the best of technology so it should be getting more smooth and slick not the opposite.

IDing as "RTE Gold and RTE Radio 1".
    Is it VTed?

I don't get why RTÉ Radio 1 FM could not have inserted the programme name as: "As RTÉ Gold" with a more detailed explanation on various EPG guides or radio listings in press/magazines in a similar way that BBC Radio often inserts programme titles "As BBC Radio..." on channels like BBC Radio Ulster after usual programmes end around 12 Midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Ah you'll probably remember one Bank Holiday Weekend during Summer period (it was either over the May/June/August long wkd) there was a complete mix-up about who on the roster was supposed to present Late Date and nobody ended up in the hot seat and there was hours of Christmas themed music playing endlessly during Summertime! Yes, it seems hard to believe but I think it happened a 2nd time (either the following night or within weeks again) which showed our public service national radio station up very badly indeed! I think Fiachna Ó Braonáin (Hothouse Flowers) explained he should have been there to present the show and it was a genuine error on his part but there are others in RTÉ Management who were asleep on the job in my view!

I think the overall governance and communications error reflects an even bigger error all the way from the top down as it showed up a number of shortcomings when this occurred. It may have not been as big a deal on less well known RTÉ Digital station such as CHILL (it comes on after RTÉ junior) with limited audience I imagine but for Ireland's national station RTÉ Radio One it was downright careless and showed little regard for it's loyal regular Licence Fee/public tax payer!

Was there nobody in Management able to override inappropriate music content and sort it AND/OR have a last minute stand-in presenter too...There must be RTÉ personnel living near RTÉ Montrose H.Q. Campus in Donnybrook...Derek Mooney or others springs to mind? Maybe presenters should be required to communicate before they arrive on shift - otherwise, a verification check is made to confirm you are due to go on air tonight for the record or do we have our wires crossed here?

You would think that if you need an automatic "Plan B/Emergency" Christmas themed music playlist it would be removed in January and not re-inserted again until the following December. The Plan B/Emergency needs to reflect the correct theme that is not out of sync with the season at least!

It's not just out of hours or weekends that mess ups happen in RTÉ!

I remember one midweek evening on 2FM - must be a year or two ago at this stage - when Dave Fanning followed by Dan Hegarty used to be on between 8PM and 12AM. Both shows would be broadcast earlier that day on RTÉ 2XM so what went out on 2FM was only a recording of those earlier shows being replayed.

Obviously no-one was monitoring the output because shortly after 9PM someone elsewhere in RTÉ began piecing together another show, the entire process of which went out live over both Dave/Dan's programmes - music, segments, clips and their links being recorded in (including heavy swearing and multiple retakes of botched links) could be heard quite clearly for a good hour and a half.

This carried on through the 10PM and 11PM news bulletins before whoever it was realised (unfortunately before muting their mic!) that they and everything they had just done for the prior 90+ minutes had gone out in its entirety on 2FM. There was no on-air mention or acknowledgement whatsoever of what had happened.

Advertisement