Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas eve night duty.

Options
  • 29-11-2015 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

I work for a public service hse funded organisatio. This year I've been rostered to do a night shift on Xmas eve into Xmas day which I don't mind, I then have the rest of Xmas day and st Stephens day off until I'm back again. I phoned salaries to ask which way I'll be paid and was told Xmas eve is not a bank holiday so it's no extra pay. Fair enough but from 12-9am it will be Xmas day... The lady in salaries insisted there is no extra pay as it goes on the day you begin your shift. I don't agree with that at all and feel really taken advantage of. I'm not in a union but is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

happypants wrote: »
    I work for a public service hse funded organisatio. This year I've been rostered to do a night shift on Xmas eve into Xmas day which I don't mind, I then have the rest of Xmas day and st Stephens day off until I'm back again. I phoned salaries to ask which way I'll be paid and was told Xmas eve is not a bank holiday so it's no extra pay. Fair enough but from 12-9am it will be Xmas day... The lady in salaries insisted there is no extra pay as it goes on the day you begin your shift. I don't agree with that at all and feel really taken advantage of. I'm not in a union but is there anything I can do?

If your shift starts the day before a bank holiday, wouldn't that be considered different than if your shift started the day of a bank holiday? Or put another way, if you worked both days, only one day would be considered a bank holiday not both( I do appreciate that the day after Xmas is also a bank holiday, but you are not rostered to work that day, my example is based only on a case where you start the day before any bank holiday)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

When I worked security I done Christmas eve shift 3 years in a row. Shift was 8pm-8am. Once it went past midnight we were on triple time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

ken wrote: »
    When I worked security I done Christmas eve shift 3 years in a row. Shift was 8pm-8am. Once it went past midnight we were on triple time.

Public service usually has these sort of situations written into employment contracts due to the high number of employees employed in round the clock work environments like hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

You should be paid normal rate till 12 and then bank holiday rate from 12 till finish .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

happypants wrote: »
    I don't agree with that at all and feel really taken advantage of. I'm not in a union but is there anything I can do?

Check what your contract says: it may be that you agreed to this approach when you were hired.

And join the union.

• Advertisement
Advertisement