Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating salary up once in new job

Options
  • 29-11-2015 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a new job in the new year and negotiated up slightly from a very salary low offer to one that was still less than I wanted but one which I accepted. My probation is almost coming to an end and without going into too much detail the job (in terms of workload, management responsibility etc.) is much more than it was portrayed when I interviewed and accepted the job. I know a degree of flexibility is necessary in any job but this goes way outside the bounds of what would normally form part of my role. My manager keeps saying she's glad I haven't resigned because she knows I've been landed with a lot of stuff that isn't in my remit.

Anyway I feel like I should be revisiting salary during my probation review but am unsure how to approach it. Our work isn't target-driven so there's no real argument of 'I exceeded my production target by x%' etc. My position is more that the role generally is more involved/advanced than I was led to believe. I'm trying to approach it without it sounding like an ultimatum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

kellyr74 wrote: »
    My manager keeps saying she's glad I haven't resigned because she knows I've been landed with a lot of stuff that isn't in my remit.

Your manager has already recognised the fact that you are taking on tasks outside your remit so I'd use this as your starting point. Just say "as we've already discussed I've taken on x,y and z. Given the increase in my responsibilities I'd like to discuss an increase in my pay in line with that"

Advertisement