Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Liffey Bridge - Contract Awarded

Options
  • 29-11-2015 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

RPS, in a joint venture with Flint & Neill UK, has been appointed by Dublin City Council to deliver a new bridge over the River Liffey for pedestrian and cyclist use.

The RPS Flint & Neill team is responsible for the options study, planning, detailed design and construction stages of the proposed bridge, which will be located between the East Link Bridge and the Samuel Beckett Bridge. The team will design an ‘opening’ bridge to facilitate demand-led openings and maintain access for sea going vessels and the increasing water based activity and events in this thriving location.

The bridge will be over 130m in length and construction is programmed to commence in 2017.

The new bridge is required as part of the North Lotts and Grand Canal Dock Strategic Development Zone (the planning scheme for Dublin Docklands), which proposes an additional 20,000 new jobs to the Docklands area. The new bridge over the Liffey is critical to reduce pressure on the Samuel Beckett Bridge and East Link Bridge at peak times for pedestrians and cyclists. The development of the proposed bridge will also link the north and south sides of the Liffey and the Grand Canal Dock area both physically and in people’s minds, which will assist in the promotion of an integrated Docklands destination for foreign direct investment (FDI) critical to the Irish economy.

‘’Both RPS and Flint & Neill are working on the Mersey Gateway Bridge, the landmark cable stay bridge in Liverpool currently under construction – Flint & Neill as Bridge Designer and RPS as the Technical Adviser to the lenders including construction monitoring. RPS and Flint & Neill have an enviable track record as designers of landmark and award winning bridges and bring a wealth of experience and expertise to the Liffey Bridge project ,‘’ said Tony Magee, director buildings and structures, RPS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭cgcsb

great to see some progress

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It will be very handy for Docklands and Luas commuters who work in the South Docks area east of Beckett Bridge/Macken Street as well as southside punters walking to the 3 Arena.

Any renders/artist impressions available yet of what it might look like?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

New%20River%20Liffey%20Bridge%201.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1444821741968
    http://www.flintneill.com/noticeboard/

Or is this just an artistic impression?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Liffey bridges depicted there are the existing ones. I think we're just at the start of the design phase so there wouldn't be any pictures yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I think it would be wise to integrate train tracks on it too for any possible future Luas

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You probably would have had to recommend that at the tender stage: it would mean a totally different spec and budget to a ped/cycle bridge, I'd say, especially when you factor in that it has to open. I'm no engineer, but a light-rail bridge that tips or turns sounds like a tall order.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Can we just call it "No.25" and avoid all the usual naming controversy?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

OldGoat wrote: »

The Old Goat Liffey Bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The Old Goat Liffey Bridge

That's controversial.

:)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm no engineer, but a light-rail bridge that tips or turns sounds like a tall order.

the Beckett bridge already has tram tracks on it and and it opens. They're under the road surface for future use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭cgcsb

OldGoat wrote: »

I'd be a bram stoker man myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Barney McKenna Bridge FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Said it before and Ill say it again - The Bang Bang Bridge

Advertisement