Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinead O'Connor facebook post today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Being Bipolar, plus smoking probably too much weed (I'm not judging), going through seriously draining surgery (mentally and physically), and having what seem to be serious family issues are too much for her. I hope she gets sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Sorry I think you should read back my post. I didnt say I thought she was doing it as a publicity stunt. I said i could understand why some people might think it.

I understand what you're saying. I should have probably said 'What do you think would make people believe this is a publicity stunt?' It was just out of curiosity because you were defending walshb whose belief is that it is a contrived publicity stunt.

walshb wrote: »
    Similar to the victims of crime. I prefer to save my thoughts and sympathy for them, as opposed to the perpetrator, who may or may not have have had a bad day with their mental health.

This rush to be all symnpathetic for Sinead is a little puzzling, considering her form and history.

So the mentally ill are similar to criminals? I think it might be you that's having a bad day with your mental health, maybe you should stop posting and exposing others to your toxic thought processes & maybe change your name to walshc as I can definitely think of a c word that fits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I understand what you're saying. I should have probably said 'What do you think would make people believe this is a publicity stunt?' It was just out of curiosity because you were defending walshb whose belief is that it is a contrived publicity stunt.

I was just making the point that he is entitled to his opinion and I can see why some people would think that.
    I personally think she needs help but I think that about her from years ago.
    She played up to the media for a long time and whilst I personally dont think its a PR stunt I wouldnt be condemning anyone who does.
    I just think the saddest part is that it has to be played out on social media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What part of what's happening at the moment would make you think she is doing it as a publicity stunt? Having her children taken away from her? Being in a psychiatric hospital? The illogical, rambling posts on facebook that no sane person would post? What do reckon this publicity stunt is hoping to achieve?

Can I ask, is this latest episode any more alarming and concerning than the dozens of other acts/stunts/episodes?

• Advertisement

Yes, it is a consideration that she is mentally ill. That doesn't mean that I automatically have to be sympathetic for her. Maybe others that she is lambasting and slagging and bringing into her "crazy" world deserve the sympathy? Similar to the victims of crime. I prefer to save my thoughts and sympathy for them, as opposed to the perpetrator, who may or may not have have had a bad day with their mental health.

This rush to be all symnpathetic for Sinead is a little puzzling, considering her form and history.

What makes you think having sympathy for the situation Sinead O'Connor finds herself in somehow negates having sympathy for her friends and family who will also be suffering? Having been in the position that family is in before, it's not a good situation and is emotionally draining for anyone but I hope they stand by her and help her through this ordeal. Not liking her is one thing but thinking the mental torment she's going through is good enough for her is quite another. As many others have said, a little empathy goes a long with in a situation like this.

Classy use of the inverted commas around the word crazy btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Can I ask, is this latest episode any more alarming and concerning than the dozens of other acts/stunts/episodes?

Well yes... she attempted to take her own life... or at least publically announced that she was going to take her own life... that is quite alarming & concerning to me. I have lost two friends to suicide and am well aware of the dangers associated with mental health.

Because the ramblings of facebook are obviously from someone in a mixed state (depressed/manic) and they are doing a lot of damage to her and her family and she would be a very obvious danger to herself in the state that she is in.

So the mentally ill are similar to criminals?

I never said that. Slown down and read!

On a separate note, there are many criminal acts committed by people who use mental illness as a defence. Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Well yes... she attempted to take her own life... or at least publically announced that she was going to take her own life... that is quite alarming & concerning to me. I have lost two friends to suicide and am well aware of the dangers associated with mental health.

I have no doubt Sinead has some sort of issues. The closest person to me that I lost to suicide was a first cousin. I have known several local people that also went the same way. Oddly, none of them announced it on Facebook. I wonder will she get the Late Late Show.

• Advertisement

emeldc wrote: »
    I have no doubt Sinead has some sort of issues. The closest person to me that I lost to suicide was a first cousin. I have known several local people that also went the same way. Oddly, none of them announced it on Facebook. I wonder will she get the Late Late Show.

I have reported your post, there are plenty of slanderous comments on here about someone that is not in a position to defend themselves. Cop on and stop posting crap that you are in no position to stand over..

I have reported your post, there are plenty of slanderous comments on here about someone that is not in a position to defend themselves. Cop on and stop posting crap that you are in no position to stand over..

Reported for what?

Reported for what?

Slander - You know the little matter of posting malicious, false, or defamatory statements about an identifiable person on a public forum

Slander - You know the little matter of posting malicious, false, or defamatory statements about an identifiable person on a public forum

Sorry, I don't see the slander. Maybe you could show it instead of just announcing it.

Which part of my post do I need to stand over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

think you're out of line here....I can see nothing defamatory about what was said. they simply stated what everyone else is thinking...clearly the poor woman is having issues.... but then she always has had issues and not dealt with them.

Alas, I don't think she will either...

Posting your thoughts and views about an identifiable person which may paint that person in a negative light is slanderous. It's quite simple.

Posting your thoughts and views about an identifiable person which may paint that person in a negative light is slanderous. It's quite simple.

So, I guess you have a lot more reporting to do then.

Nonsense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Plenty of people share this 'negative' opinion of her.

So, I guess you have a lot more reporting to do then.

Nonsense!

If I chose to yes, far too much of it goes on, people think they have the right to comment on others, like a couple of auld ones over the garden fence, gossiping away as if personal and family integrity meant nothing

• Advertisement

Could you please quote which part of the post you think is at fault here. Unless my screen is showing less than your I can see nothing of the sort and I think the mod will agree with me.
    Now had they said soemthing like 'I heard she murdered someone and ate their liver' THAT would be slander - but nothing of what any reasonable person would read could be seen as slander.

If I chose to yes, far too much of it goes on, people think they have the right to comment on others, like a couple of auld ones over the garden fence, gossiping away as if personal and family integrity meant nothing

Ah now...this is getting to 'Down with that sort of thing' nonsense. Where did they mention Sinead's family or personal integrity?

That's a fine opinion to have. No issue there. But you spouted complete nonsense by claiming that a post was slandering Sinead. It was not. So, admit that you got it wrong, and that you need to brush up on what slander actually is.

seanaway wrote: »
    Could you please quote which part of the post you think is at fault here.

There are plenty of defamatory statements about the persons mental state, family affairs and other statements about this "poor woman" you described earlier.. In a lot of ways she is far richer than you and does not deserve to be talked about on a public forum on such a personal matter. I would suggest letting her recover and closing the thread..

There are plenty of defamatory statements about the persons mental state, family affairs and other statements about this "poor woman" you described earlier.. In a lot of ways she is far richer than you and does not deserve to be talked about on a public forum on such a personal matter. I would suggest letting her recover and closing the thread..

Hang on now....you said you reported ONE post to the mod because it was slander. It wasn't. Now you're trying to cast the net to take in all posts.

As for her being richer than me in many ways - how do you know? You don't know me from Adam or Eve.

And if being as rich in as many ways as she is leads to being like her - I'll stay as is thanks. I'm happy in my own skin and life.

So you now want to dicate as well and close the thread?

One more point....if she doesn't want to be discussed on public forums she shouldn't make her life a public talking shop by telling the public she has just taken an overdose on PUBLIC social media. Fame is a two edged sword.

It's all right lads, Christy Dignam to the rescue. Another one that never refused a few column inches.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/christy-dignam-says-hell-welcome-6930869

I suppose it shouldn't come as a big surprise that many of the posts on a thread like this sound bitter and spiteful. I plan on reporting any slanderous comments on here to more than just the mods on Boards.ie

I suppose it shouldn't come as a big surprise that many of the posts on a thread like this sound bitter and spiteful. I plan on reporting any slanderous comments on here to more than just the mods on Boards.ie

You still haven't shown which part of the post you reported is slander. Why not? Oh, I know, because it ISN'T ...

ps Have you heard back from the mod about your report yet? Be interested to hear their opinion.

Ah, would you stop…

• Advertisement

Ah, would you stop…

Gladly.. As ye were - the garden fence is clear again so back at yer nattering

I've already been reported to 'the Embassy' this week by some Indian chap when I told him to eff off making spam phone calls to me in work. I'm really in the mire now.

Gladly.. As ye were - the garden fence is clear again so back at yer nattering
    And Awayyyyy.... ya go without providing any answers to the questions posed to you.

Love to hear how you get on with all that reporting you are going to do.

Do drop in and let us know who is going to be taken away in handcuffs so we can make sure we don't leave the immersion on.. Ta.

emeldc wrote: »
    I've already been reported to 'the Embassy' this week by some Indian chap when I told him to eff off making spam phone calls to me in work. I'm really in the mire now.

OH NO! Not the EMBASSY! Are ya shaking in your boots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Hang on now....you said you reported ONE post to the mod because it was slander. It wasn't. Now you're trying to cast the net to take in all posts.

As for her being richer than me in many ways - how do you know? You don't know me from Adam or Eve.

And if being as rich in as many ways as she is leads to being like her - I'll stay as is thanks. I'm happy in my own skin and life.

So you now want to dicate as well and close the thread?

One more point....if she doesn't want to be discussed on public forums she shouldn't make her life a public talking shop by telling the public she has just taken an overdose on PUBLIC social media. Fame is a two edged sword.

The girl is bipolar. A little less ignorance would go a long way.

And people wonder why sufferers won't call out.......

Hoboo wrote: »
    T

She certainly is calling out. 25 years now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 DeeBE

The majority of people replying to Sineads posts on Facebook are in her corner, they are wishing her well and are mostly sincere. (There are of course Trolls who like the look of their own comments but who have nothing to add so i just ignore them). The facts are there, Sinead is suffering a breakdown of sorts, her instability is obvious and her posts are heartrending. And she is still posting, even an hour ago ... and the audience are still reading ... and Facebook continue to allow this to happen.
    I for one do not know the circumstances, I don't know the real facts, but it is obvious that people are being hurt, whether its that they are directly mentioned in Sineads posts, whether its Sinead herself, or whether its someone reading that is being reminded of similar traumatic states. I'm not sure what Facebook's policy is but I personally don't think that it is the place for these posts.

Hoboo wrote: »
    The girl is bipolar. A little less ignorance would go a long way.

I think if you read through the thread you'll see my post is in direct answer to the nonsense posted by the person I was replying to.

I have great sympathy for anyone going through what she's going through. It was the poster who had made false claims of slander against another poster I was trying (and failing) to get through to.

DeeBE wrote: »
    The majority of people replying to Sineads posts on Facebook are in her corner, they are wishing her well and are mostly sincere. (There are of course Trolls who like the look of their own comments but who have nothing to add so i just ignore them). The facts are there, Sinead is suffering a breakdown of sorts, her instability is obvious and her posts are heartrending. And she is still posting, even an hour ago ... and the audience are still reading ... and Facebook continue to allow this to happen.
    I for one do not know the circumstances, I don't know the real facts, but it is obvious that people are being hurt, whether its that they are directly mentioned in Sineads posts, whether its Sinead herself, or whether its someone reading that is being reminded of similar traumatic states. I'm not sure what Facebook's policy is but I personally don't think that it is the place for these posts.

Well said....Facebook should NOT be allowing this to hapen.

Well said....Facebook should NOT be allowing this to hapen.

How do they stop it? How do the set up a system to avoid situations like this that wouldn't be prone to abuse?

I'm sorry ed333 but this is a big over reaction. This is an open forum and everything is discussed on Boards.ie. The Mod and nobody else decides if something is slanderous . People are entitled to their opinions , it does not mean they have no personal experience of similar tragedies themselves.

I also lost a cousin to suicide .... very suddenly , no warnings, no letter, leaving behind a wife and 3 beautiful children. Its often the quiet people ,the ones that seem ok who commit suicide , the ones who have crossed that line, who don't go on Facebook, who have no anger, no bitterness , no emotion . They're beyond feeling.

with Sinead O Connor it's a bit like "the boy who cried wolf"
    .....I hope she gets the help she needs .....AND comes off Facebook ...

• Advertisement

I'm sorry ed333 but this is a big over reaction. This is an open forum and everything is discussed on Boards.ie. The Mod and nobody else decides if something is slanderous . People are entitled to their opinions , it does not mean they have no personal experience of similar tragedies themselves.

I also lost a cousin to suicide .... very suddenly , no warnings, no letter, leaving behind a wife and 3 beautiful children. It often the quiet people ,the ones that seem ok who commit suicide , the ones who have crossed that line, who don't go on Facebook, who have no anger, no bitterness , no emotion . They're beyond feeling.

with Sinead O Connor it's a bit like "the boy who cried wolf"
    .....I hope she gets the help she needs

Agree 100%

How do they stop it? How do the set up a system to avoid situations like this that wouldn't be prone to abuse?
    Facebook can pull any account they like - especially if it is something as serious as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Attention seeker in "attention seeking scandal" shocker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

So the mentally ill are similar to criminals? I think it might be you that's having a bad day with your mental health, maybe you should stop posting and exposing others to your toxic thought processes & maybe change your name to walshc as I can definitely think of a c word that fits!

Will you be reporting yourself to any of these higher powers??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

She's wondering now why all the people she called murderers and told to f..k off yesterday haven't been in to visit her today.
    First step on her recovery should be to get the f..k off facebook.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    She's wondering now why all the people she called murderers and told to f..k off yesterday haven't been in to visit her today.
    for ed333 - Now i think THOSE words are slander to the people they were directed at..see the difference?

Facebook can pull any account they like - especially if it is something as serious as this.

What protocol would they put in place for it? I'm trying to think of one that would be effective that wouldn't be open to abuse by trolls and I can't think of anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

furiousox wrote: »

(Disclaimer: This post has been vetted by my legal team for potential slander lawsuit issues prior to posting. The views expressed by furiousox do not necessarily represent the views held by furiousox, so they don't. Do not scroll past without typing amen.)

CPL 593H

What protocol would they put in place for it? I'm trying to think of one that would be effective that wouldn't be open to abuse by trolls and I can't think of anything.
    My guess would be they have ways of checking...they ain't dumb. They pulled the Britain First page a while back if memory serves me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DeeBE

I'm not sure what the answer is. Back in September i was concerned with her posts where she spoke of self harm so I reported it, hoping that Facebook had some kind of system in place. I got the following reply:

Our Update
    Thank you for taking the time to report something that you feel may violate our Community Standards. Reports like yours are an important part of making Facebook a safe and welcoming environment. We reviewed the post you reported for containing self-injury and found that it doesn't violate our Community Standards.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement