Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

virgin line up

• 29-11-2015 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

im just wondering will virgin upgrade there channel lineup in ireland to the uk standard ,the amount of people that use sky for there tv and virgin for there broadband is unreal ,Id say they would really hurt sky if they upgraded there tv package

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

bulbs2010 wrote: »
    im just wondering will virgin upgrade there channel lineup in ireland to the uk standard ,the amount of people that use sky for there tv and virgin for there broadband is unreal ,Id say they would really hurt sky if they upgraded there tv package

Be nice, if they would, they added H2 and RT recently, so based on that I cant see anything too exciting being added...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

What is the "UK Standard" or what channels do you want added?

UTV Ireland is a content rights issue which is why they virgin don't carry it but beyond that what channels are you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

France24 would be nice. Has a few of Irish presenters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,934 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Virgin UK have no analogue and slower BB so theres more spectrum available for TV. I suspect any further channels for Virgin ex-UPC without removing analogue will just result in even worse picture quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

What is the "UK Standard" or what channels do you want added?

UTV Ireland is a content rights issue which is why they virgin don't carry it but beyond that what channels are you looking for?
    cbs channels ,itv 2,3,4 plus one ,yesterday channel 5...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭blindsider

Is there any reason Virgin/UPC don't have S4C and Channel 5 (UK)?

i dont think rte or tv 3 would be too happy if c5 or s4c was available ,I think it has something to do with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,934 ✭✭✭✭L1011

C5 is unlikely to ever happen - most of their rights are owned by someone else here, often TV3 which Virgin are about to own

S4C is of no interest to anyone realistically.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bulbs2010 wrote: »
    cbs channels ,itv 2,3,4 plus one ,yesterday channel 5...

Who cares about +1 channels any more when your DVR can record 4 channels simultaneously and even better the Virgin Replay service now lets you play anything shown in the last 7 days, a million times better then a +1 channel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

bk wrote: »
    Who cares about +1 channels any more when your DVR can record 4 channels simultaneously and even better the Virgin Replay service now lets you play anything shown in the last 7 days, a million times better then a +1 channel!

In terms of channel hopping, I like them, I don't tend to notice which channel i'm on as much and just the program - the ability to record 4 channels is great, but if you are someone who just 'fires on the telly' to see what's worth watching right now +1's are very handy and I'm sure broadcasters love them - an extra channel with no extra work.

The Virgin Replay service, great idea (badly implemented), and hope it takes off, but only a few select channels using it, I assume all these rights issues are going to stop other channels using it, so it will just be RTE and a few programs from the odd channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I'd say that the viewership levels of the ITV 2,3 4 channels are so low as to make it not cost effective to carry the +1 channels. There is also channel rights issues. Channel 5 is a good bit more popular so I guess its a mix of cost and broadcasting rights. Check the viewer stats from these two wiki pages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_in_the_United_Kingdom#Most_viewed_channels
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Most-viewed_channels_.28IRL.29

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes their is a cost versus benefit ratio going on here.

Cable is a lot more limited in the amount of bandwidth available compared to satellite, so they have to be more choosy about what channels they carry.

Specially as more and more bandwidth is being used for faster broadband speeds.

If they were to switch off the analogue TV service, then they could certainly carry a lot more +1, c5, etc. channels. But to be honest, I expect the analogue service is far more useful and gets far more use as a "free" multiroom to most Virgin customers then a couple of +1 channels.

yes the analog is very handy

Advertisement