Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ver-X for sensitive tummy

• 29-11-2015 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I went into my local pet shop to get some dog pro biotics as he's got an extremely sensitive stomach.

The woman behind the counter recommend Verm-X. I see now it's a natural wormer. Does it also double as a digestive aid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

I have been giving our little lady a teespoon of natural yogurt for the past week and the bad burping and farting has all but ceased in the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

jimf wrote: »
    I have been giving our little lady a teespoon of natural yogurt for the past week and the bad burping and farting has all but ceased in the last few days

I was going to get some pro biotic Greek yogurt but everyone was telling me it would be a bad idea, as Leo's tummy is so sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I find Verm-X loosens Lucy's tummy a bit - I certainly wouldn't give it to a dog with a sensitive tummy(!). I actually just linked to this it a different thread but I find this tree bark powder great for her.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You can also get prebiotic and prebiotics in powder form, perfect for people and animals with sensitivities to carrier foods like yoghurt :)
    Any health food shop will have them, indeed I think you'll get them in supermarkets too!

tk123 wrote: »
    I find Verm-X loosens Lucy's tummy a bit - I certainly wouldn't give it to a dog with a sensitive tummy(!). I actually just linked to this it a different thread but I find this tree bark powder great for her.

Really?! :eek: why did she recommend it?! :confused:

I'll have a look at that stuff you linked to.

DBB wrote: »
    You can also get prebiotic and prebiotics in powder form, perfect for people and animals with sensitivities to carrier foods like yoghurt :)
    Any health food shop will have them, indeed I think you'll get them in supermarkets too!

I have some sachets that I give my son when he's on anti biotics. Can dogs take that too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mad muffin wrote: »
    I have some sachets that I give my so when he's on anti biotics. Can dogs take that too?

Yes :)

Yes :)

Thanks. I'll have a look at that too. I think I got them in boots. I'm need to get something cost effective and that works as his tummy is perpetually sensitive. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

hope you don't mind be asking but what do you feed him

I have been doing a lot of google research recently on dog foods and ive been shocked at the quality of some on the market

I feed him the Markus Mühle Naturnah.

He's just about to turn 8 months and he's just under 23kg so according to the instructions I feed him the puppy ratio. Which is 2.5% of his body weight, so he gets about 550grams give or take. I devided between two or three meals. Depending if he gets a morning walk or not.

There are mornings I can hear his tummy gurgling from across the room and he won't eat then. He's been like that since I got him. Last week he was on anti biotics and a few days after he finished them he was getting up from around 1am to 5am to poop and it was very runny. I put him on rice and boiled chicken for a few days after that. That restored him. He's fine now, I just want to treat it prophylactically now. I don't want to go through another week like that.

I tried this for the last three days with no joy. After almost a week now of being woken up by Leo three times a night to go out, l must have been so tired that I didn't hear him after the first time waking me up at around 2am.

I was greeted with two sloppy poops and a wet towel I keep by the black door from pee. :(

So it's just going to be rice to day, then rice and boiled chicken for a couple of days. I hope it's not the Markus Mühle Naturnah, that all of a sudden isn't agreeing with him. I have a bag and a half of it. :eek:

Typical, this happens when I decided to get two bags of it. :rolleyes:

I'm going to try the tree bark powder and see if that helps. I think petmania sell it.

Do you know his long I should give this to Leo?

• Advertisement

rolleyes:

I'm going to try the tree bark powder and see if that helps. I think petmania sell it.

Do you know his long I should give this to Leo?

Oh i'll have to look out for it in PetMania to compare prices with Amazon ;)

You give Verm-x 3 days a month but as I've said - I wouldn't give it (or any wormer) to a dog that has an upset tummy(!) - you want to replace the flora/good bacteria not strip it away with wormers.

My big guns for upset tummies is Jarrow Pet Dophilis from iHerb - it works almost instantly for my two but their tummies are fairly hardy. If you go for express shipping you'll have it in a few days... If ordering from the UK you might have a chance of getting a delivery on Saturday/Sunday if you went with next day UK delivery to Parcel Motel or Monday/Tuesday for Parcel Wizard (sign up for 3 free deliveries).. If I'd totally run out of everything though this close to the weekend I'd probably just take the hit and go to the vets.

Oh i'll have to look out for it in PetMania to compare prices with Amazon ;)

You give Verm-x 3 days a month but as I've said - I wouldn't give it (or any wormer) to a dog that has an upset tummy(!) - you want to replace the flora/good bacteria not strip it away with wormers.

My big guns for upset tummies is Jarrow Pet Dophilis from iHerb - it works almost instantly for my two but their tummies are fairly hardy. If you go for express shipping you'll have it in a few days... If ordering from the UK you might have a chance of getting a delivery on Saturday/Sunday if you went with next day UK delivery to Parcel Motel or Monday/Tuesday for Parcel Wizard (sign up for 3 free deliveries).. If I'd totally run out of everything though this close to the weekend I'd probably just take the hit and go to the vets.

Thanks.

I meant the tree bark powder. I don't think you give it to them for an extended period?

So you think the pet dophilis is a better bet then the tree bark powder?

You can give the tree bark long term. The dophilis is great but I only use it the odd time they're very sick now since I've started giving the tree bark.

You can give the tree bark long term. The dophilis is great but I only use it the odd time they're very sick now, since I've started giving the tree bark.

You had me worried for a second, but I think I've fixed your post :p:D

Leo is doing my head in. He started losing pigment on his nose the last week, and today I noticed a small red dot, sore or could be a crack, on his nose.

So I don't know if it's just winter nose, or some kind of contact dermatitis from his Nylabone, plastic allergy. Or worse! Discoid Lupus. :(

You had me worried for a second, but I think I've fixed your post :p:D

Leo is doing my head in. He started losing pigment on his nose the last week, and today I noticed a small red dot, sore or could be a crack, on his nose.

So I don't know if it's just winter nose, or some kind of contact dermatitis from his Nylabone, plastic allergy. Or worse! Discoid Lupus. :(

oops sorry!! Bailey lost pigment in his nose as he got older and he gets little spots on it the odd time like that and no problems.

Advertisement