Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you kiss your dog?

• 29-11-2015 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Do you kiss your dog(s) and do you allow them to kiss/lick you? I have been kissing my pets since I was a child and never thought too much about it until a family friend commented on how "disgusting" it was. Personally, I don't have a problem with kissing my dogs or letting them kiss/lick me. I would love to know others opinions on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ive seen dogs eat their own ****e. So no.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

yeah, but don't let her hear you call her that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I try to avoid it but a couple of licks on the nose as he's mine :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I go to kiss him but he always gives me a big lick upside the face.

He's a gorgeous Springer though, and I prefer animals to people so I'd be more likely to be repulsed by many human kisses :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I kiss my dog on the head regularly. Though I don't like the idea of her licking my face, even in my hand is a bit yuk. But I do think it helps with bonding, so I just make sure to wash afterwards. She is so cute though so she deserves lots of head kisses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Yup, sure do, but not my big puppy yet because he doesn't have control of his head, he'll either headbutt me or try to gouge my eye out with his tongue. But only my own dogs I give or receive kisses from.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Savvy student

I kiss my dog on the head regularly. Though I don't like the idea of her licking my face, even in my hand is a bit yuk. But I do think it helps with bonding, so I just make sure to wash afterwards. She is so cute though so she deserves lots of head kisses.

That's the reason why I do it. They enjoy it and it often calms them down. My Cocker wont eat unless he gets a kiss first. He's a complete baby. My JRT will often give me a lick to get my attention if I'm talking to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

I kiss my dog on the head, too. One day someone unexpectedly kissed my dog while petting them, and they had never had this happen before. They had absolutely no idea what was going on and got a bit stressed. So I do it as part of my "Humans do weird things, it's all right, you'll be grand" training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Yes, I kiss my dogs. The terrier doesn't do licking but my sheltie will jump up on the sofa with me to wash my face a few times a day. The big fella, my brother's dog I don't like licking me, I suppose because he's that much bigger and therefore produces a lot more slobber!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

My Cocker wont eat unless he gets a kiss first. He's a complete baby.

I love this! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Yes but no tongues

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bluejelly

Yes I kiss both my dogs on the head, always when saying goodnight & after I put their harnesses on. My pup regularly licks every cm of my head, it does tickle but I let her as I believe it's her way of showing affection. My older dog has started to give a quick lick on the face now too in a very timid way!

bluejelly wrote: »
    My pup regularly licks every cm of my head, it does tickle but I let her as I believe it's her way of showing affection. My older dog has started to give a quick lick on the face now too in a very timid way!

I think my Cocker is reassured when he's kissed as he too is quite timid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Yes, all the time, I kiss their heads and their ears and sometimes I kiss the older fellas front paws and tell him I worship him!! I don't like them licking me though, I've seen what they sniff and lick when they're out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Do you kiss your dog(s) and do you allow them to kiss/lick you? I have been kissing my pets since I was a child and never thought too much about it until a family friend commented on how "disgusting" it was. Personally, I don't have a problem with kissing my dogs or letting them kiss/lick me. I would love to know others opinions on this.

1mXkH6EeAEq1q.gif

you've seen a dog lick their own holes right?

jeez - that's atm

disgusting

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Lawred2, as a not-very-regular poster in this forum, you may not be aware that the ethos and style of posting here is different to what you might be used to in other forums. The affection for our pets here is often misinterpreted and misunderstood by non-regulars
    For example, I take it we're talking about affectionate pecks on the head as opposed to snogging one's dog, as some here seem to think.
    So, tone it down please. Less of the puking videos and use of strong words such as "disgusting".
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No. I hug them but I think kissing is a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

No ,just from a hygiene point of view. My dog knows he is not allowed to lick me. I hug him and am affectionate in others ways though.

On the other hand could I pass on any disease or infection to my dog? Not taking the chance

My vet mentioned that dogs saliva is filthy and it's a myth that it's cleaner than ours. This is not only due to licking genitals, anus and fur but what they pick up when out walking . Dog **** which they eat at times is full of nasty stuff as it's the bodies way of getting rid of toxins. Also picked up by licking their own anus. My dog had a tooth problem at the time and she mentioned how bad their saliva is. I tend to listen the opinion of science rather than lay opinion on matters relating to infection and disease

Hope I don't offend with this point. If I guy goes down on a girl some refuse to kiss after. But it's ok for a dog to go down on themselves and kiss afterwards?

I find it strange that often people who are paranoid about germs and cleanliness will allow their dogs to lick their face and mouth.
    There is no need for it. Its attempting to transmit human behaviour to their pets and pets do it because they get encouraging reactions from their owners...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Constant kisses and licks on the face.. Love it! Don't really care what anyone else thinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A dog gets enough affection from cuddling without the need for kissing. It's trying to humanise an animal and its more about our need than the dog. My dogs do try and lick my face and I discourage it because those mouths go into some very unsavoury places.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

No, as it would make the cat jealous :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

No ,just from a hygiene point of view. My dog knows he is not allowed to lick me. I hug him and am affectionate in others ways though.

On the other hand could I pass on any disease or infection to my dog? Not taking the chance

My vet mentioned that dogs saliva is filthy and it's a myth that it's cleaner than ours. This is not only due to licking genitals, anus and fur but what they pick up when out walking . Dog **** which they eat at times is full of nasty stuff as it's the bodies way of getting rid of toxins. Also picked up by licking their own anus. My dog had a tooth problem at the time and she mentioned how bad their saliva is. I tend to listen the opinion of science rather than lay opinion on matters relating to infection and disease

Funny when my dog had jaw surgery last year (a chunk of jaw was cut out) the vets all said the opposite in that his saliva would keep it clean and sterile. By your vets logic should our dogs not all have rotten teeth if their mouths are that dirty?

Everyone kisses the dogs here - one will lick back and the other doesn't generally lick anyone here BUT has his favourites outside the house who he does try to lick - he has a sideways lick after the jaw operation so his tongue goes out to one side a few times first lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...pets do it because they get encouraging reactions from their owners...

In the case of dogs it's puppy behaviour, licking the adult dog's (or wolve's) mouth encourages them to regurgitate food for the pup.

Personally I find puking up food about as appealing as getting my face licked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

alwayskiss_zps3i4pzfz3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Yep. On the head or nose. I allow licks to the cheek, but that's more me pulling away from his attempt to lick my lips.

Why the lips?

tk123 wrote:
    Funny when my dog had jaw surgery last year (a chunk of jaw was cut out) the vets all said the opposite in that his saliva would keep it clean and sterile. By your vets logic should our dogs not all have rotten teeth if their mouths are that dirty?[/quot

The saliva is for the dogs benefit, not humans. The parasites etc that can be passed to humans is called zoonotic I think. Saliva is for the hosts benefit, anything else can be harmful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I kiss my dog on her snout. Do it every morning now that I think about it.

I let her lick my face but not my lips. She's not a poo eater at all. If she was I prob wouldn't let her. I wouldn't let other people's dogs lick me at all

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

My boyfriend kisses my dog on the head regularly. It drives me mental after reading a study about how many dog bites to the face occurred after people were leaning over the dog. I think leaning over to kiss a dog on the head (especially if you don't know the dog) is putting a dog in a position where they might feel threatened. I do think it's a great thing to include in training as a "people do crazy things" though.

As regards kisses from the dog, mine licks my hand, legs, feet... anywhere she can reach really. I draw the line at my face, especially since she has a nasty habit of eating other dogs poo when she gets the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I always kiss my cat on the top of his head, the way I see it. it's the one part of his body where he can't lick himself so that's safe enough for me.
    I'm often on the receiving end of unwanted dog kisses at work so I just take a worm dose every few months and don't worry too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleepless and Manic

I look after dogs. Up to 25 a day.

I get licked head to foot most days. I recoil when a lick gets me on the lips, that can be a little eugh, but otherwise I'm okay with it.

And I dont remember the last time i even had a cold come to think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I eat my own poo and lick my bum and my dog has no problem licking me.

The saliva is for the dogs benefit, not humans. The parasites etc that can be passed to humans is called zoonotic I think. Saliva is for the hosts benefit, anything else can be harmful

Yeah but isn't there very few parasites that can be passed from dogs to humans? If there was anything in their saliva we'd all be dead in this house anyways! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

All the time! Til will only lick us on the hands or the nose but with Oz every inch of us is fair game. He has a tongue like a lizzard too, has been known to lick the back of my front teeth if Im not quick enough :o:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

Well we call our Havanese 'Izzy the Lizard' because she is the lickiest dog EVER. My god, she is unreal. Phoebe on the other hand is more aloof and will only give your hand a quick lick now and then.

I kiss both of them on the head and on the nose all the time though, they are my babies so why wouldnt i? :)

Thanks everybody for the replies. I've always had dogs and I never saw anything wrong with kissing my dogs and receiving a lick in return. I see no harm in it as long as your dog isn't a poo-eater.

Thanks everybody for the replies. I've always had dogs and I never saw anything wrong with kissing my dogs and receiving a lick in return. I see no harm in it as long as your dog isn't a poo-eater.

They all lick their undercarriage though, same thing really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Do you kiss your dog(s) and do you allow them to kiss/lick you? I have been kissing my pets since I was a child and never thought too much about it until a family friend commented on how "disgusting" it was.

I don't have a dog myself and wouldn't be into mutual kissing/licking, but I'll happily head butt them, let them lick my hand, stick my hand in their mouth or give them a bear hug (only the big ones, don't have much time for little dogs).

It's no worse than kissing a child - now they're really disgusting (and they carry all kinds of diseases! pacman.gif )
    Its attempting to transmit human behaviour to their pets and pets do it because they get encouraging reactions from their owners...
    Quite the opposite. It's very definitely a normal animal behaviour. Go stand in any field or any zoo and you'll see every species licking each other, even different species if they've formed a "family group".

Funny this reminded me of somebody in our park. She'd come across as quite cross and not afraid to tell people off... but on more than one occasion she's bent down and put her face to Lucy for a kiss lol! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Always have done, always will.

Caught more diseases from people than dogs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Caught more diseases from people than dogs :D

Exactly. I've also been more sick from eating animals than kissing them.

:)

Well we call our Havanese 'Izzy the Lizard' because she is the lickiest dog EVER. My god, she is unreal. Phoebe on the other hand is more aloof and will only give your hand a quick lick now and then.

I kiss both of them on the head and on the nose all the time though, they are my babies so why wouldnt i? :)

I love kissing my dog on the nose! Especially the little pink part on her snout just before the actual nose starts. Also the softy bit of her cheek and the top of her head. (I left her two hours ago and I already miss her!)

Hoboo wrote: »
    I eat my own poo and lick my bum and my dog has no problem licking me.

Well that's lucky, because if you eat your own poo and lick your own bum, I don't think you'll find anyone else who doesn't have a problem licking you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

I kiss my two fur babies all the time, in the morning, when i'm going to work, when they get their dinner, when they don't get their dinner, when they go to bed, all the time. I adore them and want them to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

toadfly wrote:
    All the time! Til will only lick us on the hands or the nose but with Oz every inch of us is fair game. He has a tongue like a lizzard too, has been known to lick the back of my front teeth if Im not quick enough

Awesome! Oz sounds just like our Ted!!

It's no worse than kissing a child - now they're really disgusting (and they carry all kinds of diseases! pacman.gif ).

Love this!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MDwyer

i give my dogs a big kiss on the top of their heads alright but i dont let them lick my face cause the feckers never stop i must be too sweet or something haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Not only do I kiss my dog, I blow raspberries on her tummy.

Advertisement