Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

taste of the wild

• 29-11-2015 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭

our little mixed grill has been on a diet of chicken and boiled rice for the last few weeks vets advice

now the time has come to get her back to a more balanced diet and we want to switch her away from science plan which she was on and the rules are going to be implemented re bits from the table

the view on this forum from a lot of very knowledgeable posters is that taste of the wild grain free is a good diet for her and we are going with the pacific stream formula and maybe forthglade grain free as well just for a bit of variety

both of the above I plan to introduce over the next week

do ye think this would be an acceptable diet for our little pride and joy

she seems to be back to herself again after being in the vets for 3days a few weeks ago where she had bloods/scan/xray all clear thank god

thanks for reading jimf

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Should be fine jimf, though I know Boomerang on here has a pooch who cannot tolerate Forthglade, though other people are happy with it! I'd generally go for novel proteins, that pretty much means anything other than beef or chicken :)
    Herbal-wise, slippery elm is great for sensitive tums, you can get it in any health food store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've found Forthglade fine but NOT Naturo trays - apologies to anyone who bought it after I shared that it was available in Dunnes(!) :eek:

I use Dorwest [URL="- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pets-Dorwest-Herbs-Tree-Barks-Powder/dp/B003ZJDF96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448828074&sr=8-1&keywords=dorwest+tree+barks+powder"]tree bark powder[/URL] (90% slippery elm) the 400G tub is almost gone after 2 months daily feeding to both dogs. I had been just giving it to Lucy but it smells kind of like stock cubes and Bailey was going mad for it lol so I give to him too! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

thanks dbb and tk for your replies

picked up both today in petmania in limerick so hopefully things will go according to plan

I didn't realise totw was available locally

Pet Mania seem to have started stocking TotW in the past year. They have tinned TotW too, but it's bloody expensive :o

what would the best way be to implement the changeover in your opinions please

• Advertisement

Slowly but surely jimf, a few nuts and small spoon of wet food into what you're feeding her now, gradually building the amount of new whilst reducing the amount of old food day by day... With your sensitive little poochette I'd be inclined to do it over 2 or 3 weeks.

thanks dbb

but my problem is she is coming off a chicken and rice diet so do you think I should continue this so for the next few weeks

jimf wrote: »
    thanks dbb

but my problem is she is coming off a chicken and rice diet so do you think I should continue this so for the next few weeks

In the big scheme of things, another few weeks is fine! Her tummy will let you know if you're pushing her too fast :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I fed my dogs chicken/rice for years - granted I added various veg to it too - and they had scrambled egg/fish & rice for variety etc

When Pepper was exclusively on chicken&rice, when he had a bad bout of his recurring tummy problem, I would reduce the rice content and up the kibble content gradually over a couple of weeks, maintaining the percentage of chicken. Then when he was 'weaned' on to chicken/kibble, I would start to decrease the chicken percentage, until he was back on 100% kibble over the 3rd week...

thanks aon

I have started her on the above 4 small meals a day I have more or less removed the rice and continued with the chicken about 75%/25% chicken and forthglade and a few nuts so far she seems to love it with no adverse effects fingers crossed this will continue
    she was always hard to get her to drink water this seems to have improved since the new diet as well

again thanks for the advice its much appreciated as an owner of ess upset stomachs is something I don't see very often but when I do its usually resolved by the following day

I suppose smaller dogs can be that bit more prone to these issues I know a family that has her sibling brother and he is prone to digestive issues as well funny enough started with both in the last 2 months now they are 18 months old is this usual

again thanks very much guys its great to have somewhere to throw out these questions and get answers based on experience and not just what the book says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm sure there was a bug going around because both if mine were a bit dodgy on and off for a couple of weeks in October. Bailey even had a few accidents in the house because he was afraid to stay outside too long close to Halloweeen! :(.. He did have an infection on his chin 2 weeks ago so possibly his body was in the midst if fighting it off?! The thing swelled up and exploded two weeks ago before the vet promptly cut it out(!) :eek:

bit of an update shes now totally on totw and forthglade and seems to be doing very well on it

toilet wise very firm and once a day

plenty of energy as well and a big improvement in her coat good and shiny

Advertisement