Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest update on Ipad 2 has slowed it down - what can I do?

• 29-11-2015 8:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

I installed the latest OS update earlier after resisting it for as long as possible. I think its 9.1 or something?

Everything now seems to be much slower on my iPad and this is annoying to say the least. Ive signed out of iCloud in the hope it was this it hasnt improved it.

Any ideas? Is there some sh*te running in the background hogging things?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Signing out of iCloud won’t do anything and you’ll lose a lot of important features. But there might be some syncing or downloading going on in the background. Photos, email, etc. Better to let them finish.

Did you upgrade from iOS 8? If so, a reduction in performance is inevitable on a 5 year old device (even if Apple were still selling them up until 2 years ago) and you might want to consider upgrading soon.

In the meantime, try disabling Spotlight. It seems to do a lot indexing after installation which take a while to finish and can cause slowness. Disabling graphical things like parallax and transparency in Accessibility settings should help as well. Also make sure you have at least 1 GB worth free space so the OS doesn’t have to go clearing caches all the time.

Disabling things like Background Refresh, Location Services, Notifications and exiting apps are unlikely to make any difference. If there’s an app abusing background permissions you are better off deleting it. Facebook is the usual suspect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Its called Planned obsolescence, Apple are notorious for this, basically they cripple your iDevice to try force you to buy another new expensive overpriced version. I like Apple stuff but my rule of thumb is never ever update an iDevice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Signing out of iCloud won’t do anything and you’ll lose a lot of important features. But there might be some syncing or downloading going on in the background. Photos, email, etc. Better to let them finish.

Did you upgrade from iOS 8? If so, a reduction in performance is inevitable on a 5 year old device (even if Apple were still selling them up until 2 years ago) and you might want to consider upgrading soon.

In the meantime, try disabling Spotlight. It seems to do a lot indexing after installation which take a while to finish and can cause slowness. Disabling graphical things like parallax and transparency in Accessibility settings should help as well. Also make sure you have at least 1 GB worth free space so the OS doesn’t have to go clearing caches all the time.

Disabling things like Background Refresh, Location Services, Notifications and exiting apps are unlikely to make any difference. If there’s an app abusing background permissions you are better off deleting it. Facebook is the usual suspect.

Do these in settings, makes a big difference to my iPad 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Terry Sam

How do I go back to iOS 8? Im so angry at this. Very sneaky stuff from Apple and surely some consumer law has been broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You can't go back to iOS 8, unfortunately.

It's a device that's has a long run but it's just long in the tooth now. Might be worth looking for a newer iPad second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

My iPad 3 is bearable now again after doing a backup and factory reset then turning off movement effects and background app refresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I have a 1st gen iPad mini and since recent update its very slow. This primarily happens when typing text . You hit the buttons but takes some time for those to register on screen.
    Anyone else encounter this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 guestus

I have a 1st gen iPad mini and since recent update its very slow. This primarily happens when typing text . You hit the buttons but takes some time for those to register on screen.
    Anyone else encounter this ?

My daughter 's ipad mini is very slow after the latest update, slow typing, apps not working, she's barely using it now. I'm very disappointed as she only got it last year and it worked great before the last update

Advertisement