Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boat size does it matter?

• 29-11-2015 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭

Iv heard that ya need length for a sea going boat that the short 14 or 16 ft boats are not great on the open sea does it really matter? will a 15ft be as good as a 19 ft of simular type if they both had about the same beem. For example will a 15 ft osm day boat or simular be as good as some thing that's 19ft that looks the same except for the 4extra ft.
    I'm just talking about open or small cuddy boats not big beem sports boats or cabin cruiser just small day fishing or recreation boats
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,287 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The likes of a 16 ft Orkney Longliner would be a good start. There would be a big difference in the same style boat in 14 ft in the sea it could go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

So a good starting size would be 16 ft and longer . Does beem play a big roll? Say a lake boat beem of about 5ft oppose to a orkney of 6ft or would it be a combination of beem and draft that make a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Where are you planning on taking it out?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Size doesn't matter it's all down to hull design you can have a 15 foot race boat that will skip across the waves or a 21 foot that will cut through them, even something like a small zip cat rib can handle rough water no problem. Most of us will not be going out in rough weather unless it's for racing or being in the wrong place at the wrong time :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

I suppose I boils down to what the intended use is and how many will be on board in my case it's for spinning about more than fishing around broadhaven bay Co mayo and surrounding areas. There are a few places like kid island the stags of broad Haven and iniskea islands il like to visit more often and as you said fergal it won't be in bad weather
    Thanks for info lads

• Advertisement
Advertisement