Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downstairs neighbour constantly banging on their ceiling but only normal house noise

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

If the downstairs person was aggressive or likely to erupt I think you'd know about it by now. They'd be doing more than banging on the ceiling with a brush. The fact that you have passed them in person & nothing has been said shows they are not confrontational.

Go & speak to them. You're not going to get attacked because you've knocked on the door & opened a conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

An act of aggression to ring someone's doorbell? Are you serious? Most people do not turn into raving lunatics when someone rings ther doorbell. The way to speak to someone without being confrontational is to speak to them, and not be confrontational. Don't use words like "entitled", don't be accusatory. Smile, be friendly, ask them if everything is ok or are they trying to get your attention because you heard some knocking.

You seem to have a lot of excuses about a very simple first step that you can take. Don't you think they'd appreciate a friendly call in from a neighbour showing he is concerned in case they are trying to tell him something?

I completely agree, have people just lost the ability to talk about basic things in person! OP try a civil conversation if that doesn't work at least you have tried and perhaps you may find out more information to understand why they are doing banging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Considering that some people work shifts so might be asleep, or they might have babies and wouldn't welcome a disturbance, I can see the sense in dropping in a (light in tone) note.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I don't really get the big Hoo-ha about the letter! It doesn't make any odds if Op calls or leaves a note, and at least they not catch the angry neighbour at a bad time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP record the banging and keep a record of every time it happens. then make a noise complaint against your neighbour.

You don't know that this woman is not completely unhinged, I had a neighbour before who worked in a solicitors office yet stored up months worth of her household rubbish inside the house.

Engaging with your neighbour could be seen as harassment and could turn her even more against you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

foggy_lad wrote:
    Engaging with your neighbour could be seen as harassment and could turn her even more against you.

Ah come on now. Since when and on what planet is knocking into a neighbour harrassment???

I can't get over how precious people seem to be gone in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

I was going looking at an apartment with wood floors and ceilings this evening but this thread has saved me the trip :(

If the downstairs resident doesnt work or go out much they can become very comfortable in their routine and dont like any change or disturbance. It would take a skilled negotiator to keep a cool head and resolve a noise issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I was going looking at an apartment with wood floors and ceilings this evening but this thread has saved me the trip :(

It depends on the building .... I've lived in quite a few wood-floored apartments, don't think there were noise issues in any of them.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think it depends on the insulation/underlay, I've got wooden floors in my apartment, and we recently replaced them. We had to get a more expensive underlay because we're on the first floor (our house rules state wooden floors are permitted providing they proper underlay stuff is used) It was funny because when we were in the showroom and we were picking out the floor, we mentioned we needed this specific insulation, and the sales guy suggested a different one because it was cheaper, but when we mentioned we were in an apartment he agreed we needed the more expensive one.

My friend is renting a house at the moment and the landlord had replaced the floors before she moved in, however he did it on the serious cheap, and they've ended up putting rugs in all the upstairs rooms because the sound is so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I've had this one before alright , was renting with 3 other lads in a newly built townhouse in Baldoyle and the walls were so thin. Neighbours were always banging on the walls, my room was on the top floor and I didn't really make any noise up there , I'd be watching TV or walking around barefoot and still they would be banging away.

Anyway , eventually she came over went on a rant. Now I've no issue being polite to people and trying to work out the issue , which was basically that the walls were two thin and the floors weren't great and we both had to find a way of dealing with it. I couldn't get a word in edgeways though...

' You's are always partying , dancing on the walls and floors...you only rent here FFS I BOUGHT MY HOUSE , I HAVE MORE RIGHTS THAN YOU , I'M GOING TO HAVE YOU KICKED OUT!'

Obviously a stuck up cow and not worth arguing with, so I simply said..

'Thanks for that , next time you buy do your homework on the quality of the property we can move/buy a better house , your stuck , at least until your attitude changes good luck'

But in your case, go down and be polite , ask what the issue is and explain what's happening and see what they say. Your right though , that passive aggressive nonsense won't help anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

It depends on the building .... I've lived in quite a few wood-floored apartments, don't think there were noise issues in any of them.

Depends on the quality of the flooring and the underlay , any decent apartment in multi block will have excellent underlay and sound dampening to stop these issues. It's a small cost to do when laying the flooring but unfortunately an area where people cut corners and the tenants pay the price. Easy to check when viewing , give it a good thud and see if it resonates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Seanachai

If the downstairs resident doesnt work or go out much they can become very comfortable in their routine and dont like any change or disturbance. It would take a skilled negotiator to keep a cool head and resolve a noise issue.

There are wood floors above me and the tenant gets up at 6 - 6.30 am every day and yet doesn't seem to leave the house until about 9 am. If the person is heavy-footed as she is you can hear the stomping, I can also hear the kettle boiling and the vibrate alert on her phone. I'm going to ask my landlord if he has any other places going or maybe even swap with her. I'm 6'2" and 15st and I'm lighter on my feet than she is :o, I also wouldn't put a phone on vibrate and then leave it on the floor.

Advertisement