Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1890 Numbers if you have "free" calls.

Options
  • 30-11-2015 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I would urge posters to look for the normal landline numbers on companies' websites,so called freephone and lo call options are a rip off

I contacted Blue Insurance an 0818 number @ 30.49c per minute -needless to say I won't be using their service again..............................the call cost something like €9 with all the pressing options etc.

Making phone calls to any of the so called “Lo Call” 1890 numbers will usually end up costing many consumers a lot more than if they rang a normal landline number.

These “lo call” numbers were introduced years ago when all we had was Eircom landlines with no bundles of free call minutes. The rate was meant to be the equivalent of a local call which was cheaper than a “national” call. But – now that most people have mobile phones or landline telephone packages with call minutes included – the “Lo Call” idea is just not working. In some cases it should really be known as “Hi Call” !

All the mobile networks and the landline providers currently don’t include 1890 numbers in their bundled “free” calls – so you end up paying for them even when you have unlimited call minutes included in your plan.

How Much Does it Cost to Ring an 1890 “Lo Call” number?
    (Rate shown is cents per minute)

UPC 4c (plus 9.5c set up fee)
    Eircom 5.2c (plus 9.6c call setup fee)
    Tesco Mobile 15c (min charge 15c)
    eMobile 15c
    Meteor 15 c
    Postfone 20c
    Three 30 c
    Vodafone Mobile 45c (Peak prepay 25c off peak ) 25c billpay.

If you look for the landline number e.g 01, 057 and so on and you are on a plan as most people are your call will be free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Thanks OP, a timely reminder as I suspect many such numbers will be extra busy around Christmas.

Comreg have been advising of this it in their FAQ for years
    http://www.callcosts.ie/faqs/Calls_to_1850%2F1890_numbers.148.13.176.LE.asp

Mod: Thread title changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

In fairness, these numbers were introduced as a concession to consumers living outside Dublin who had to deal with large companies based (mostly) in the capital.

Times have moved on but it's important to note that the companies operating these numbers don't benefit from the "scam".

0818 numbers are a different kettle of fish.

Also, the OP saying that "freephone" numbers are a rip-off is plain wrong, freephone numbers are free on mobiles too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I understand how these numbers were once to facilitate the customer but those days are long gone. I have asked many companies for their non 1850 or 1890 number but most wouldn't give one.

I also don't know why a bundle that includes free national calls still charges for these so called low cost numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

The landline no is often on their websites especially for international callers the contact no is usually the landline

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I understand how these numbers were once to facilitate the customer but those days are long gone. I have asked many companies for their non 1850 or 1890 number but most wouldn't give one.

I also don't know why a bundle that includes free national calls still charges for these so called low cost numbers.

The reason they won't give it is they can route the 1850 / 1890 numbers to different locations at different times of day. Many are also call centres and they manage the calls and call diversions.

delahuntv wrote: »
    The reason they won't give it is they can route the 1850 / 1890 numbers to different locations at different times of day. Many are also call centres and they manage the calls and call diversions.

Oh, I know that but doing so at my expense doesn't make it right. If they want flexibility let them pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

The companies get a rebate for landline calls to 1890 numbers, so it is more attractive for them to advertise an 1890 as opposed to a local number as it will offset overall costs. They get charged too for the calls from mobiles so it is actually the telecoms providers (Eircom/C&W/Vodafone etc.) that are making the money here as they are double charging the customer AND the business to use an 1890 number.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There will usually be a number to call if you're outside Ireland.
    It's pretty obvious that premium numbers wouldn't be included in a plan though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There will usually be a number to call if you're outside Ireland.
    It's pretty obvious that premium numbers wouldn't be included in a plan though.

But 1850 or 1890 are not classed as Premium numbers.

• Advertisement

yeah, they're non geographical. Given that they're completely different to an 087,061,01 etc , I think it would be a bit naive to think they'd be included in an unlimited pack.

yeah, they're non geographical. Given that they're completely different to an 087,061,01 etc , I think it would be a bit naive to think they'd be included in an unlimited pack.

Oh, I'm not naive. I just don't agree with the concept. Free national calls but pay for so-called low cost calls.

I would say your issue should be with the company using the number rather than the phone company giving you the plan.

I would say your issue should be with the company using the number rather than the phone company giving you the plan.

I don't agree but I'm not going to argue about it, as it's just a small irritation.

Advertisement