Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement multi-position switch suggedtion

Options
  • 30-11-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions that may help me. I'm basically looking for a multi-position household switch, if such a thing exists? Possible a domestic rotary switch of some kind?

Currently the radiators in my house are on two circuits, upstairs and down. These are controlled by a standard double switch: one switch for upstairs (on or off) and one for downstairs (on or off). That leaves four possible states. Though it may sound simple the number of times "we" get this wrong is amazing. For example I arrived in yesterday, nobody was downstairs, it was sweltering and the family were upstairs complaining of the cold. The switches were selected arseways! Again! And they're labelled!

I'm wondering if there is some sort of four-position rotary switch (not a dimmer, mind) that I could replace the current setup with? The four positions being:
    A Both off
    B Upstairs off, Downstairs on
    C Upstairs on, Downstairs off
    D Both on

Thanks.

Note, I've rewired plenty of sockets and light circuits in the past so I intend to do similar with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

A two channel time clock might save a lot of confusion. Pick one up in any electrical wholesalers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

All that's needed is 2 on off switches such as a 2 gang lightswitch, if switches are preferred to a 2 channel time clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

ptogher14 wrote: »
    A two channel time clock might save a lot of confusion. Pick one up in any electrical wholesalers

Hmmm, leave this with me....
    Would such a device have two separate "boost" buttons, i.e. to switch on the heat for one hour on either or both circuits?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Bruthal wrote: »
    All that's needed is 2 on off switches such as a 2 gang lightswitch

That's what is there already.

It's like something you'd see in a house that's been rented for years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well the multi position switch would not be as straight forward as it would seem.

To enable selecting one zone, and other zone, or both together, would require relays as well as selector switch, to enable isolating each zone from the other when only one is selected. Or a multi pole selector switch.

A rather complex setup to do something most people find simple enough to manage. Perhaps indicator lights along with the switches might reduce confusion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement