Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Changing Film Tournament

• 30-11-2015 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭

been some time since this was suggested, so hopefully there is still interest.

I have picked 32 films, where society breaks down, or zombies take over, or just your general end-of-the-world event. I know there are many more, and I hope I have not forgotten your favourite, but I had to start somewhere (and draw the line somewhere).

So....the game..... 2 movies will go head-to-head, and we vote . First to 6 votes wins, or whichever is winning after 24 hours (might not be too strict on that, depending on time avail to post next round).

Whats a 'winner'? Ok, so vote for the movie that you think best capture the essence of its story, or had the most effect on you, or the movie that best shows how hard survival will be within the confines of its own script. We will have to give latitude here...... As always, please give a brief reason why you are picking the one you picked.

Round 1

12 Monkeys

2H0BuyMh.jpg

v

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

DDsBgsxh.jpg

ok, the scenario in SAFFTEOTW is not your typical Apoc film, as the incident (meteor) does not arrive until the end, and then it destroys the world, so its not possible to survive afterwards. But .... people are behaving as if the world has ended, and there are no rules, and you can do what you want, and just try to survive. Its like a Zombie film, but with no Zombies ....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

it was surprisingly thoughtful too, i'd go with seeking a friend for this round - one of the better films you've probably never seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I might have been a bit ambitious with the '6 votes' thing .... its kinda quiet here.

I will leave the vote open for another day and we will see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'm in. Good work.

I'll have to watch both movies, seen 12 monkeys but not the other, before I vote. I'll do it later after work stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

ok, the scenario in SAFFTEOTW is not your typical Apoc film, as the incident (meteor) does not arrive until the end, and then it destroys the world, so its not possible to survive afterwards. But .... people are behaving as if the world has ended, and there are no rules, and you can do what you want, and just try to survive. Its like a Zombie film, but with no Zombies ....

I haven't seen this film, I'll have to look out for it.

It's scenario is what someone like me living in the countryside would go through even if it was a zombie apocalypse. Zombies aren't going to just appear in small towns out the country. We'll be watching the majority of it happen on TV and will mostly be dealing with the downfall of society.

It sounds like I'll prefer the second film. 12 monkeys is a bit to, inside someones head, for my liking.

• Advertisement

I might have been a bit ambitious with the '6 votes' thing .... its kinda quiet here.

I will leave the vote open for another day and we will see what happens.

i'd say give it another few days dude - weekend at least and see how it goes :)

And with it being movies, some people won't have seen them all. 3-4 days is fair enough I'd suspect.

Yea, good idea. Treat this as a knock-out tournament, and a chance to see some new films. Well ..... 'new' as in 'havnt seen them before' ..... there are some on my list that are old, and I havnt seen them all myself.

Fixed my sig for ye too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

12 Monkeys wins it for me! SAFFTEOTW was insightful..and depressing in a joyous way.

• Advertisement

3-1 to Seeking a Friend .... so far! Anyone who is undecided, you can watch SAF at the weekend! (not like I am giving homework or anything, but ......)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

12 monkeys had good post apocalyptic elements, but it also had excellent time travel consistency

+1 from me

12 monkeys for me too.

Anyone who needs convincing can watch 12 monkeys on SyFy at 11 tonight

ok, so as I see, its tied 3-3 .... hadn't thought there would be a draw .....bummer..... I guess if I withdraw my vote then 12 Monkeys wins 3-2 .... I know its not a traditional tie breaker, but its only a bit of fun....

Next one

Shaun of the Dead

CX3HiwCh.jpg

v

UdZdodah.jpg

My least favorite zombie film, but 2012 was just all round bad

Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead

+1 Shaun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

IMHO two completely different films, Shaun of the dead V Zombieland would have been a more appropriate match.

2012 was awful in some ways but oh so visually spectacular. The effects and everything were outstanding, Pity the story was so awful and contrived. the death toll and destruction was massive and climatic and all sorts of other descriptive words.

Sean of the dead was hilarious and enjoyable to watch but not an epic, spectacular visual end of the world apocalypse. It was just a comedy, with zombies. No survival, apocalyptic, anything.

So, 2012 for me, despite me enjoying SOTD more.

I will throw my vote now, and its for Shaun. Not only was it a zombie film, but it was funny. It played up a few stereotypes, poked fun at how the common man might endure, and gave a boost to the zombie films genre when it is often seen as a niche / wierdo market.

Winner: Shaun of the Dead

• Advertisement

I put 32 films into a spreadsheet and then draw them at random. No point in having Germany play Brazil in the first round! Zombieland is in the mix somewhere ....

Next match:

28 Days Later
    (28 Weeks Later is not in the game. Please use the world scenario / zombie type / etc in 23 Days to decide your vote. Ta)

6rlwuSeh.jpg

V

Soylent Green

k3nrrk9h.jpg

28 days

28 days

I loved soylent green, Heston was great in that.

But 28 Days Later

The scene with the zombie priest clinches it - Father? Plus it had a great Irish cast, Gleeson stole the show as usual :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

28 days is one of the greatest films ever.

I loved SG, at the time. One of the first Post-Apoc films I saw, and the idea that the world has gone mad, and its everyone for himself was one that stuck with me since. But I must give my vote to 28 Days as it changed the idea that zombies are slow, and the fear, that at any second, someone could be infected and turn so quickly, was thrilling.

That makes it 5-0 for 28D ..... I reckon thats a winner so.

Next round up later today

got 2 classics for this match .

A Boy & His Dog

hMJufh8h.jpg

V

The Terminator
    for this match, we are taking all Terminator movies, and judging on the universe / story thats presented there as a whole, with regard to your ability to survive, the originality / completeness of the story, and just how the family of Terminator movies made you feel.

CCpjqw1h.jpg

A Boy and his Dog

Far out 70's cult classic post apocalypse ;)

I'd never seen SG but watched it the other day. What an odd movie.

I'll refrain from voting until I have watched A boy and his dog.

• Advertisement

I'd never seen SG but watched it the other day. What an odd movie.

Its been years since I saw it last. I am guessing it has not dated well .... lol

Will leave the voting open on latest match until Mon, to let folk watch Don & His Dog (if they havnt seen it). Its another odd one (but a classic none the less!)

Oh my, i didnt think the really hard decisions would be presented so early in the game.

On the one hand a boy and his dog was a class story, and the dog was a really cool dude.

But the terminator series is fuppin epic.

Terminator for me

I was leaning towards Terminator because of the good story, effects (for the time), the whole survival-in-face-of-adversity-cum-extinction thing .... and then the guns are cool too .... but y'know, I might have to watch Boy & Dog again! I remember it being good (and a classic) , but when push comes to shove and its time to vote, I should re-educate myself!

Hopefully there will be more forgotten gems to come in later matches. There are some oldies still to go!

If you remember a boy and his dog, the version in your head will hold up better than the actual film. Wheras the terminator still holds its own in a modern cgi world

ye just dont see enough of it in Terminator though, 98% of the film is set in the past, whereas all of ABAHD is set in the P/A

Ah all of salvation is post apocalypse, 3 is the actual apocalypse, 1 and 2 have brief but memorable glimpses of it, genisys does cover it somewhat

• Advertisement

I guess so yeah, i forgot it was all of the T movies not just the first.

Actually while we're at it, the best of the lot was in the first one, even the original John Connor and his whole 5 seconds of screentime was better than all the rest, with the exception of Ed Furlong as a young him in T2 :D

I'd argue T2 was the best, story wise and effects, it was the best overall package

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAVe4FkPUlLMLwGABXF5BAcdnrIXRDFKwgZqU3uoOzWqvNzwkJ

hah, i still preferred the original, arnie had less lines, and there was a small level of campness to him in the second, which increases exponentially throughout the series which i'll always blame the second one for. That said, it sounds like i hate it, i dont, it's deadly. They just built around the bull**** instead of the foundation of him being a killing machine with a sole purpose, i mean tehy gave him elton john glasses and made him say "talk to the hand" ffs

Yeah, i get that, but in T2 you had a much more fleshed out story of how it all came to be, how terminators could be reprogrammed and learn about humanity, plus the evolution of the design with thr T1000.

All in all they could have wrapped the series up there and it would be perfection.

i wouldnt have minded a sequel so much if it was Salvation but with the original actors. But yeah, anything after 2 was just bad imo - still watchable but nowhere near as good as the original and sequel

Kind of like Aliens in that respect, and tbh i think that's the only sequel i enjoyed as much as or more than the original

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Have only read some of ABAHD but wasn't as impressed as Terminator, so my vote is for Terminator (not the franchise)
    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    but in T2 you had a much more fleshed out story of how it all came to be, how terminators could be reprogrammed and learn about humanity, plus the evolution of the design with thr T1000.

All in all they could have wrapped the series up there and it would be perfection.
    Funny how the T-1000 (T2), the 'terminatrix' (T3) a step-up from the T-1000, whatever prototype Sam Worthington was in T:Salvation and the pinnacle Terminator that was in Genish*ts were all defeated by a T800 - an "obsolete model" according to T2.
    Sadly, there are another 2 movies planned for this franchise, so expect Arnie on a zimmerframe and more forced humour...

looks like its a winner for Terminator, with DeGrassiNoel being only one to vote for B&D ..... Still, a lot of people with 'issues' with the T series (myself included) .... will be very interesting to see how far Arnie et al make it in the knock out.

Next match

The Book of Eli

yOY4H3Rh.jpg

V

After Earth

1evRZMwh.jpg

The Book of Eli,

Didnt think much of either film though, both were fairly forgettable, i like Will Smith but he wasnt a main character his wooden son was. Hey Son, i got you a cool job.. feh.

BoE was always going to have religious undertones with that title, and it doesn't fail to either. Poor oul Denzel must have been blackmailed into doing that one :/ But it's the better of the two given the world

Yeah, despite its overt religious themes the denz managed a sublime performance

Book of Eli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

BoE.

My vote - Book of Eli (I actually liked the religious overtones!)

Winner = BoE !!

Next match ....

Dawn of the Dead (the whole of the George A Romero cache...we wont be having re-makes face off against the originals)

qJrJajih.jpg / w1Tdi2rh.jpg

v

The Colony

Cl7vMI9h.jpg

no contest, Dawn

yup, think im going with Dawn too ..... reckon this one is a no brainer (but Colony was a good flick, and well worth an hour and a half if you havnt seen it)

I think Dawn will go a long way in this tournament .... it will be very interesting to see if any other movies give it a run ..... or *gasp* actually beat it!

Happy Crimbo, by the way :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement