Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Changing Film Tournament

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Dawn and planet

Excellent choices. And swings the vote too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Dawn and planet

...thx WE... dont know what I would have done if there was a draw!

The winners are:
    Dawn of the Dead
    and
    Planet of the Apes

...last match of Round 2 up in 5 mins ...

last match of this round (and looking for a place in the Quarter Finals) are

The Day v The Day After

and

World War Z v Zombieland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

The Day after

Zombieland

The Day After and Zombieland

I really like World War Z, never read the book but get the feeling that they left a major part of the story out!

Zombieland is a fantastic movie.[

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The Day After and Zombieland. Never seen the Day (think it was on Syfy recently) and WWZ should have been called something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

The day after

Zombieland..

Next round running the same as this round rider?

I wonder, would it be worth while after this setting up a poll on thread so we each have a single vote fo rthe movies listed, see how it reflects on the actual result? More for fun than anything else.

Scores are 4-nill in both matches (to Zombieland and Day After) . Cant see WWZ & TD getting 5 votes before the end of the day .... but will leave voting open for a few hours just in case ....

Johntheone, yea the next few rounds are all the same .... ie straight knock out (2 Quarter Finalists alread decided : 12 Minkeys V Terminator and La Horde V Mad Max).

I like the idea of trying to pick the winner at this stage .... so lets go for it:

The Quarter Finalists are:
    • 12 Monkeys
    • Terminator
    • Dawn of the Dead
    • The Day After *
    • La Horde
    • Mad Max
    • Planet of the Apes
    • Zombieland *

* = they havnt won yet, but look likely !!

So, vote for the one you think will be outright winner, and lets see who is right when the final is over!

• Advertisement

ooops ...forgot to vote myself!

I go for Day after (so thats 5-0 to Day After)
    And I go for WWZ .... again, I loved Zombieland, but I think WWZ deserves some unbiased consideration (hard to do when the book is such a milestione).
    So 4-1 to Zombieland

I can see a final between Dawn of the Dead and Zombieland, and DotD coming out on top .... thats my prediction anyway

I predict Planet of The Apes to be the over all, do you really think ZombieLand is THAT good??

OK, no more votes since ..... so Zombieland and The Day After are winners, and go through to the Quarter Final (it lines up like prev post predicted!)

Here we go again .....

Quarter Final #1
    12 Minkeys v Terminator

Quarter Final #3
    La Horde v Mad Max

begin the vote!!

(dont forget to try and predict the ultimate winner .... just for giggles!)

...do you really think ZombieLand is THAT good??

Yea, I think it was fab. I love Woody, and am a sucker for a comedy. It also showed the 'ideal' zombie survival world, where you can take what you want and can only keep it if you are able, along with surviving the Z's its the other survivors that may cause the most trouble, and add in that you are the master of your own destiny (ie it does matter what you do, and you can survive if you are smart enough, unlike a scenario like Armageddon or globlal nuclear war) ..... AND it has great cameo from Bill Murray!!!

.....yeah, its up against some serious opposition in that leg ... it will have to beat La Horde, Mad Max and Planet of the Apes .... but I think it can make it to the final ....

QF 1 12 Monkeys...

QF 3 Mad Max..

I think the terminator series of films just lost its way..

I love la Horde but Mad Max as a body of work wins...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭geotrig

a really though one in the 1st vote ,and i could flip flop between them all day /night ,but for now i'll go
    vote1 : the terminator , the 1st one keeps the rest afloat :pac:

VOTE 2 LE HORDE

Going to get my vote in early this time ...

I am going for Terminator & Max. Terminator because of the struggle shown by the humans to survive in the post apoc world (and Max tfor same reason), and because T1 & T2 stand the test of time (the last one wasnt bad either!).

Oh noes, now it becomes difficult.

T2 rocks, the original is a classic, but the others let the whole thing down.

Douze minkeys as a stand alone piece is a masterpiece in world building, for a future we only get glimpses of its a surprisingly detailed world.

+12

Now the hard part.

La horde is EPIC, another masterclass in story telling.

But emotion wins

Max Rockatansky is possibly the Greatest antihero of our time

Regretfully i must choose

MAX

12 Minkeys is quite good but Terminator (1+2)* are classics. T2 is one of the few sequels to actually improve on the original (Cameron did it with Aliens too) and the time-travel story and future desolation angle is better expressed. Terminator had great effects and such attention to detail and excellent characters that it not only wins my vote in this round but gets my nod for being the overall winner.

La Horde was only okay but didn't give anywhere as complete a picture as Mad Max. Horde centered on a few cops/crims in an apartment building in Paris but Max showed the whole civilization (what was left). The ending of Horde showed the female cop, alone, looking at a burning Paris: if one apartment-building of zombies took out her unit and heavily-armed and coked-up crims, what chance did she have on her own with no firepower in a city of 10 million? I know it was never meant to be that type of film and maybe I'm being harsh but this is a world changing tournament.
    Mad Max wins

* If T+T2 are Sunday dinner, T3, Salv + Genisys are what your Sunday dinner becomes after a few hours...

Scores so far

12 Minkeys 2 - 3 Terminator

La Horde 1 - 4 Mad Max

voting stays open for the rest of the day. Winner will be declared tomorrow, and we go in to the last quarter final .... Semi Final up shortly after .... my my ... doesnt time fly!

• Advertisement

Come on Austria/Australia!

What do we get if we win?

...What do we get if we win?

The winner will get a weapon of their choice from my own arsenal *

* to be collected from my gaff after the Zombie Apoc has started

The winner will get a weapon of their choice from my own arsenal *

* to be collected from my gaff after the Zombie Apoc has started

I want your dildo

sorry John, the wife has dibs on that ! ;-)

OK, so no change in the score / voting, so it stands...

12 Minkeys 2 - 3 Terminator

La Horde 1 - 4 Mad Max

So winner is Terminator & Max !!

Last of the Quarter Finals now .... and deciding who is going up against Arnie & Max ....

Dawn of the Dead V The Day After

and

Planet of the Apes V Zombieland

voting open for a couple of days....should have Semi Final and Final next week

Dawn of the dead...

Zombieland..

not easy..

It is a testament to how loved Zombieland is that it is taking on the entire planet of the apes....

vote1 Dawn of the dead ..... i cant see anything beating this for me ...well maybe ....:think:

vote 2 planet of the apes ..... i think they used zombieland zombies to wipe the apes asses :pac:

my vote ..... Dawn of the Dead (its the granddaddy of them all ... no explanation needed) ..... and Zombieland (for many reasons listed before, as well as this, its so quotable !!! "Any regrets, Bill?" / "Garfield, maybe" ... "Time to nut up, or shut up" .... "Momma always told me, someday I would be good at something. Who would have thought it was killing zombies" ...)

• Advertisement

I had to check back to see why 28 isn't still in the competition, it really got a tough draw,

My votes go for dawn and Planet of the apes.

I rewatched Zombieland last night and it was fun. But that's all. Fun. Somebody please give Emma Stone a sex toy so she can smile. Bill Murray is good in it but the steal of the show is Woody, he's brilliant.

In saying that, I was a bit let down, the shouldn't have made it such a comedy, with the budget involved it could have been so much more.

Planet of the apes, well what can I say, they are golden and replayibility still stands.

I vote 28 back in as a wild card and get rid of dawn of the dead.

Scores so far ....

Dawn 4-0 Day After
    &
    Apes 2-2 Woody

Dawn

And

Get your hands off me you stinking Zombie

The Day After.

Planet of the Apes.

Score now:

Dawn 5 ...... Day After 1
    Apes 4 ...... Zombie 2

(doesnt look good for my beloved Zombieland!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

dawn and apes

I think thats fairly conclusive! Im delighted Planet of the Apes has come this far.

Sorry for the delay folks.... busy day yest.

The winner is Dawn & Apes!!

Semi final up soon...

First Semi Final:

Terminator v Dawn of the Dead

I will wait until this one is decided before moving to the next. There are only 3 matches left (2 semi's and then the final). Also, as its going to be harder to choose, we will take our time (having 1 match at a time). For these next few matches, can people please give a reason now why they choose their film ... there will probably be little in the difference between films at this stage, so let us know why one has nudged past the other in your opinion ....

enjoy !!

• Advertisement

First Semi Final:

Terminator v Dawn of the Dead

I will wait until this one is decided before moving to the next. There are only 3 matches left (2 semi's and then the final). Also, as its going to be harder to choose, we will take our time (having 1 match at a time). For these next few matches, can people please give a reason now why they choose their film ... there will probably be little in the difference between films at this stage, so let us know why one has nudged past the other in your opinion ....

enjoy !!

so is "dawn " just both movies ?or does it included all like, night of the living dead , day etc etc etc ?

geotrig wrote: »
    so is "dawn " just both movies ?or does it included all like, night of the living dead , day etc etc etc ?

Yes, it covers all of the 'family' of Dawn films. Voting should be based on the film and how you liked it, and also, on the world as the film presents and how you think you would survive it, how difficult / possible it would be, and its realism to a post-apoc world that you think is possible. ...... if that makes sense! So its not just a vote for your fav film, but how survivable & real is the world-scenario portrayed in the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I vote for terminator.

The reason is that in terminator there is a lot of detail about the post apocalyptic world. Its extremely well fleshed out with the additional films adding more detail as they go. The premise is almost believable (except the liquid terminator which was just stupid) and made for a great story and sequence of films.

Dawn doesn't really have any sense of world building. The origins or the virus aren't explored in any detail and there is little info beyond the immediate world of the shopping mall and a number of raiders. You kinda have to take it for granted that the world is overrun by zombies but to what extent, how many other survivors, any hope for mankind, there really is very little to none of that.

Yeah, the terminator series really builds a world, and logically eeplains how that world came about.

Terminator

these 2 for me should have been the final :(

for me Dawn , the origins of the virus for me isnt an issue and if the films focused on that they wouldnt show a true reflection of the world. in all the romero films i thought they really do set a realistic ish world and how survival would be fought out ,if at all and highlights that the struggle isnt always just against the zombies. the later films are a bit hollywood but still hold the same for me. dawn remake just brings it to a new level and gives you more food for thought on surviving as in running zombies ...i know the last thing on my mind in most cases would be where it came from and investigating that ....get away from my survival bag prick

terminator is a great film and does set a good world, i absolutly love terminator (1st one)and it would be in my top five films ever. the later films dont add much for me but do help set /give more insight into the future.

so my vote Dawn

I will have to go for Dawn too. It was a close call against Terminator, but the tipping point on my scales was the world shown in Dawn is one that a prepared individual could survive. And (as said by geotrg) survival isnt always against the Z's. Romero's films elevated the B-movie zombies to mainstream cinema / culture, and they have (imho) become the subject of ordinary conversation largely due to him and the world he created. So, because of the world, the possibility of self-determination & survival, and the idea that other survivors would be more dangerous than the Z's ... I vote for Dawn.

• Advertisement

Score so far ..... 2-2 !!

Im going to go with Terminator.

I remember having a camp out in the local hall with the scouts when i was but a child and they had Terminator on. I remember it being fantastic then and it still is now. Plus T2 is a good movie also.

May i add, if we are taking the Terminators as a bundle, Dawn should have the new Dawn of the Dead taken with it too, which in my opinion, is ****e!

I haven't watched the original DotD in a long time and there are so many in that vein by Romero that it's easy to get them mixed up. It's a decent Z-franchise but not a good end-of-the-World/World-changing group. The original was slower-paced and developed the characters better than the remake but the newer version had some interesting DVD extras: News broadcasts charting the spread of the outbreak and the collapse of Society; Andy the gun-shop owner's struggle for survival and demise into a Z; the Sheriff - who was in the original - advising people to shoot them in the head to stop them and the fratboys who try to have sex with a Zombie and end up being killed :) I think the televangelist at the beginning of the remake is the black guy from the original. The original focused better on the confusion and panic during the spread but the remake had so many characters who you just knew were there to die later and was a bit clichéd. I did like the ending of the remake though - getting to the Island and seeing a group of zombies running towards you and the camera gets dropped... it also had some titties, which is a plus.

Terminator*: Better story, better character development, better Director and such attention to detail. My major gripe with Terminator is that they didn't show more of the future World; I'd like to have seen more of the struggles of humanity and more battle scenes against Skynet. Also, if the T-1000 is liquid metal, how did it travel through the time displacement field? Arnie and Reese had human tissue but the T-1000 didn't but still got through...

My choice: Terminator. (If you're still reading, sorry if I've bored you)

*Terminator and T-2 only. T 3, T salvation and Genisys kinda pi**ed on the storyline of the first two and directly contradicted them: "The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make" - Kyle Reese to Sarah Conner. In T3, Arnie tells John that Judgement Day "is inevitable" - no matter what you do, Skynet will be created and initiate launches...the future is set and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Also, Arnie cannot self-terminate but pulls out his only battery (without powering down somehow?!), sticks it in the gob of the robot who orgasmed when she tasted John's blood and blows himself up with her...I might start a new thread with everything wrong with Salvation and Genisys.

4-2 to Terminator ..... still time to vote....any of the regulars left to vote?

Totally agree with T1, T2 being good, and T-3 T-S letting the side down. But I did think T-G was pretty good. I loved the way it showed the story of T-1 from the other side, and all the little scenes from T-1 were just a bit different as the future had been messed with, and the changes got bigger & bigger as the movie went on. I thought we saw more of the world in T-G than any of the other films.

I stand by my vote for Dawn (but it was a very close call....)

Dawn of the Dead for me please

• Advertisement
Advertisement