Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 PDC World Darts Championship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

They seem to be hot on Sulovic at the moment and considering how they shoehorned Huybrects in last year to try to boost interest in Belgium and the continent in general, I wouldn't be surprised to see him included if he continues to progress in this tournament. I think he would need a semi final to really be in contention though but he's an outside bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

naughto wrote: »
    I prefer to be tiger woods anydat than fat power Taylor
    No matter how sh1te is now

Great contribution.
    shocksy wrote: »
    Debatable

AP McCoy would win it for me

It's not debatable.

You would be wrong then.

McCoy dominated the jockeys championship, he didn't dominate grade 1 races.
    Nobody dominated a sport the way Taylor has.
    i'd hate to see thornton coming back into it , if he's not complaining when he throws a slightly bad dart he is complaining about his back , he is also it would seem on a slight downward spiral at the moment bunting or van der voort would probably get the nod ahead of him at the moment

Thornton literally just had the biggest win of his career in October at the Grand Prix.

Bunting has had a poor year.
    Vvdv has picked a catchy walk on song, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Taylor is a class 1 dick head. I'm a multi millionaire. Eric should respect me etc. What a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

mdwexford wrote: »
    Great contribution.

It's not debatable.

You would be wrong then.

McCoy dominated the jockeys championship, he didn't dominate grade 1 races.
    Nobody dominated a sport the way Taylor has.

Thornton literally just had the biggest win of his career in October at the Grand Prix.

Bunting has had a poor year.
    Vvdv has picked a catchy walk on song, that's it.

thornton could go all the way to a final in a tournament without dropping a leg then get hammered in his next , van der voort has been fairly progressive over the last few years , hit and miss yes but you could say that about a number of players

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Thornton won one of the big tv events (a genuine unargued 'major') this season, fairly comical to suggest that VvdV has a better case for inclusion in the PL.
    Obviously they can do what they want with their wildcards so who knows but I think Thornton is a certainty.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    The premier league picks for 2016 will be interesting

Mvg, Taylor, Wright and Anderson are deff in as there top 4 in the order of merit

Not sure where you are getting your rankings from but Wright is down to in-running 7th at the moment, mainly because he has now 'lost' his points from the 2014 competition (runner-up) so would need to repeat a run to the semis/final to maintain his T4 ranking.
    Doesn't really matter as he'll be picked for PL regardless.

• Advertisement

thornton was knocked out in the first round of nearly every tv event he participated in this year , behind the scenes on the floor events he won one weekend event he was beating by a guy in the uk open with about the same level of ranking as myself ;) , but no there are far more progressive darts players around then him fair enough they have not won any major tv events yet but there are guys out there doing an awful lot more then him at the moment

naughto wrote: »
    I prefer to be tiger woods anydat than fat power Taylor
    No matter how sh1te is now

He is 3rd in the PDC rankings, so evidently only 2 players are not "sh1te" in the world of darts!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Clear too see van gerwan has taylors head rattled,probably the only player to do it,and the child cant take it like a man.

Would love mvg to wup him 7-0 in the final,get him to sign the board,hand the board to him and pat him on the back on his way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

After watching the first couple of rounds does anyone else think that there are very few players that can really challenge for major trophies?

Outside of MvG, Taylor, Anderson, Lewis and Wright and maybe Wade and Barney I see only a few players in the top 32 that could be real challengers in the coming years namely Chizzy, Michael Smith, Klaasen and possibly Huybrechts and Bunting.

Players like Ian White, Dolan, Pipe, Caven really haven't made much progress and generally go out in the early rounds of big tournaments and I can't see any of them becoming serious contenders.

Others like King, Jenkins, Whitlock might have the odd good run but are no more than lingering around and and on a steady decline.

There are plenty more like Gilding, Darren Webster, Winstanley, Painter, Beaton....been around for years for usually easy meat for the big players and basically make up the numbers.

Any others in there that people think will establish themselves as top players?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

He is 3rd in the PDC rankings, so evidently only 2 players are not "sh1te" in the world of darts!

I was on about woods being ****e now not Taylor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

gramar wrote: »

There are quite a lot of very good young players coming through, mostly from continental Europe. The likes of Max Hopp, Jeffrey de Zwaan, Ricky Evans and Dimitri Van Den Burgh have the raw talent that MvG and Lewis had but obviously don't have the consistency or experience yet. They could easily become top players. Benito Van de Pas is also a very good player gaining experience all the time, moving up the rankings and has lots of potential.

Otherwise I agree with you that there is a large group of middle ranking players that wouldn't really have the ability to win a major TV tournament as the games are too long for them, they can win floor tournaments though.

As an aside, everyone keeps putting Peter Wright into the same group as the top boys, saying he can win tournaments etc. I just don't see it. He has only ever reached 2 finals, soundly beaten in both despite mounting a bit of a come back in the Worlds final. He has ability to throw 100 averages but so do many players. He is very consistent in reaching quarter finals but I don;t see him winning majors at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MOD NOTE: Just reading through the thread and I have a few things to mention.

• If you have a problem with a post then report it and I will have a look at it. Don't give out about it in the thread please
    • This is a darts forum to talk about darts, don't post about other sports/sports people etc.
    • Stay on topic, people want to read about the World Championships in this thread and nothing else
    Thanks

Kingp35 wrote: »
    There are quite a lot of very good young players coming through, mostly from continental Europe. The likes of Max Hopp, Jeffrey de Zwaan, Ricky Evans and Dimitri Van Den Burgh have the raw talent that MvG and Lewis had but obviously don't have the consistency or experience yet. They could easily become top players. Benito Van de Pas is also a very good player gaining experience all the time, moving up the rankings and has lots of potential.

Otherwise I agree with you that there is a large group of middle ranking players that wouldn't really have the ability to win a major TV tournament as the games are too long for them, they can win floor tournaments though.

As an aside, everyone keeps putting Peter Wright into the same group as the top boys, saying he can win tournaments etc. I just don't see it. He has only ever reached 2 finals, soundly beaten in both despite mounting a bit of a come back in the Worlds final. He has ability to throw 100 averages but so do many players. He is very consistent in reaching quarter finals but I don;t see him winning majors at the moment.

I wasn't sure about putting Wright in that group. He's turning into a Whitlock like player; getting to lots of 1/4's and semi's in big tournaments but that's as good as it gets. He is very consistent but doesn't seem to have the type of extra gear that MvG, Anderson and Lewis have.

Of the young players mentioned van den Burgh impressed. I liked Dave Pallett too. He used to be a bit of a joker but seems to have taken it more seriously and was very close to the 3rd round. He has a solid throw and should move up the rankings.

Evans just throws too fast. He was great to watch against Whitlock but you couldnt see him consistently producing those darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

mickdw wrote: »
    Taylor is a class 1 dick head. I'm a multi millionaire. Eric should respect me etc. What a clown.

The more I see of him in interviews the more I go off him. He came across awful in that interview last night and had a real go at Bristow. He can't seem to handle criticism.

I was gutted for Painter after that second set. I think if he would have went 2-0 against Taylor it might have been a different story but his finishing on the doubles was very poor.

EB_2013 wrote: »
    The more I see of him in interviews the more I go off him. He came across awful in that interview last night and had a real go at Bristow. He can't seem to handle criticism.

I was gutted for Painter after that second set. I think if he would have went 2-0 against Taylor it might have been a different story but his finishing on the doubles was very poor.

Taylor is very insecure as someone said above.

I wouldn't feel sorry for Painter though. 30 attempts and has never beaten Taylor once. Typical player who beats himself before a dart is thrown.

Bristow is a grade A knob himself.
    I'd say they were a right pair of tulips together back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Two slimeballs. Greatest darts player of all time, a big reason I play darts now myself, but with all the controversy over the alleged indecent assault, his carry on after he loses, the above mentioned odd interviews, I'm really finding it difficult to separate the man from the player.

That said, had him as part of a treble last night so I was happy enough to see him win it.

I like Bristows blunt honesty - its refreshing in a PDC commentator. A lot of what he says may be gibberish but theres always a sense of 'what the hell will this knob say next?' anticipation.

I can't remember what game I was watching on Sunday night and I thought Bristow's commentary was alright. Knowledgeable, no crazy outbursts and not afraid to make a few quips.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,092 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I can't remember what game I was watching on Sunday night and I thought Bristow's commentary was alright. Knowledgeable, no crazy outbursts and not afraid to make a few quips.

Yeah, he's easier to listen to than feckin Mardle anyway.

• Advertisement

Last 16 bracket.

Michael van Gerwen (1) v Raymond van Barneveld (16)
    Michael Smith (8) v Benito van de Pas (24)
    Adrian Lewis (5) v Mensur Suljovic (21)
    Peter Wright (4) v Dave Chisnall (13)
    Gary Anderson (2) v Vincent van der Voort (15)
    James Wade (7) v Jamie Caven (23)
    Alan Norris v Mark Webster (22)
    Phil Taylor (3) v Mervyn King (14)/Jelle Klaasen (19)

Schedule.
    Tuesday afternoon.
    King v Klassen (Last 32 game).
    Smith v van de Pas.
    Wade v Caven

Tuesday evening.
    A Lewis v Suljovic
    G Anderson v van der Voort
    MVG v RVB

Wednesday evening.
    Norris v Webster
    Wright v Chisnall
    Taylor v King/Klaasen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Looking forward to tonight's games. Van gerwen should have far too much intensity for RVB. Lewis is my favorite darts player, when he's on he's absolutely incredible. Gary Anderson should have too much for VDV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I wouldn't read too much into Bristow and Taylor, they've a lot of history between them and there might be something happening behind the scenes that you don't know about.

Taylor looks very cranky at the moment, changing darts in the middle of a tournament isn't something you'd do if you were happy

I'm stuck in work today but so far absolutely nothing is going on. Hopefully it stays that way and I can watch the darts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Nice touch playing the ace of spades

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Nice touch by sky playing ace of spades. I'd say klassen will win but king will push him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

nice motorhead/lemmy tribute with ace of spades,deliberate i hope, also mervs song is very apt for today ,still,hope klassen wins

posted as didnt see lads above posts.

After watching the first couple of rounds does anyone else think that there are very few players that can really challenge for major trophies?

Outside of MvG, Taylor, Anderson, Lewis and Wright and maybe Wade and Barney I see only a few players in the top 32 that could be real challengers in the coming years namely Chizzy, Michael Smith, Klaasen and possibly Huybrechts and Bunting.

Players like Ian White, Dolan, Pipe, Caven really haven't made much progress and generally go out in the early rounds of big tournaments and I can't see any of them becoming serious contenders.

Others like King, Jenkins, Whitlock might have the odd good run but are no more than lingering around and and on a steady decline.

There are plenty more like Gilding, Darren Webster, Winstanley, Painter, Beaton....been around for years for usually easy meat for the big players and basically make up the numbers.

i believe its early days yet for the likes of bunting , smith and klassen , they are wining regularly on the pro tour which is a start if they start to repeat these performances on the tv events they will challenge , look at the almost over night change in peter wright , once he got used to the stage he became as good as whats there at the top

I like Bristows blunt honesty - its refreshing in a PDC commentator. A lot of what he says may be gibberish but theres always a sense of 'what the hell will this knob say next?' anticipation.

Without a doubt.

The knobs are always entertaining.

Great game here, could go all the way.

• Advertisement

Very enjoyable game this. If Klaasen could brush up on his finishing he could be a real contender. Constantly going for the D18 is not helping him.

Advertisement