Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 PDC World Darts Championship

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

There's the moan now.....another bloody divorce!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭blackcard

Phil Taylor wouldn't be my favourite but, in fairness, that was a gracious interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

mdwexford wrote: »
    Same as I said last night.

Fair play to Taylor for the interview, didn't think he would.

Showed a lot of class and was pretty humble there.

GOAT.

As honest an interview he's ever given............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

mdwexford wrote: »
    Same as I said last night.

Fair play to Taylor for the interview, didn't think he would.

Showed a lot of class and was pretty humble there.

GOAT.

Funny enough, I was thinking is he gonna come out with something about his personal life, and sure enough he obliged. Wifey must be screwing him for a big settlement;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

In fairness he was fairly subdued, got a few personal problems to sort out. Mentally he isn't the player he was 5 or 6 years ago. I fancy Bully Boy Michael Smith myself now but it's wide open now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

God that swung one way and the other. Great win and a very honest assessment from Taylor there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That was about as snide and snarky as you could have hoped towards Mardle and the gang. I'd love to see Wadey or Wrighty win but it's so open that anybody except Norris has a great shout imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

myshirt wrote: »
    I am really saddened by all the criticism coming in for Phil.... not right lads... I think Sky need to be taught some manners, there's no need to be nasty and there's no pride to be had in taunting.

Wayne Mardle needs to go.

Didnt hear any of that. What exactly are you referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

yes there wrote:
    Didnt hear any of that. What exactly are you referring to?

Maybe its this.

Im fcking delighted taylor is out, its prob the most exciting remainder of a worlds i can remember.

As mentioned,7 out of those 8 could win ,rather than 1 or 2 .

Taylors now knows how barney feels eh,poor me. Lolol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Torricelli wrote: »
    Big difference between the BDO and PDC.

Could never understand why the PDC recognises the BDO winners. You can't have two world champions in one year from the same sport.

I make it that 6 of the current PDC T16 took part in Klaasens BDO win, so unfair to deny the achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

Maybe its this.

Im fcking delighted taylor is out, its prob the most exciting remainder of a worlds i can remember.

Harsh although he is saying what most of us, well anyone I know is thinking. Cant wait for Friday. Im realistically expecting all sudden deaths and no average below a 100

I don't think Taylor losing has dramatically changed the complexion of the tournament, it was always gonna be an uphill task for him based on the year he had - he appears to have found a bit of humility, but that maybe because his confidence is down around his ankles at the minute.

As I said I'll be hoping it's Wrights year, but Anderson looks the one to beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

3 of the last 4 games have been

Barney 4 (100.44) v Van Gerwen 3 (105.78)
    Wright 4 (103.69) v Chisnall 3 (102.26)
    Klaasen 4 (102.52) v Taylor 3 (100.03)

Some time to be a darts fan

Aside from the averages, what's really impressed me this year is the how the supposed lesser lights are handling the pressure legs & checkouts -

Maybe its this.

2008?

I'd love to see Wadey or Wrighty win but it's so open that anybody except Norris has a great shout imo.

Norrisy?

One thing I don't get is why people slam Taylor for his personality or his home life...but then go on to root for the likes of Wade or Klaasen. Let's face it, Wade has the charm, charisma and appeal of a sweaty sock, and Klaasen had that issue. In fairness, he served his punishment, it's just that if we're comparing players on the basis of off the oche matters then we must look at Taylor's rivals.

I have to say notwithstanding Taylor's own brush with the judiciary for the camper van incident, and his other domestics,the biggest blot to me would be the Winstanley game in Gibraltar.

Sport in general is full of flawed characters - darts is no different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭golfball37

Taylor's behaviour towards Barney on stage a few years ago finished him with me. A horrible man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Taylor isn't a likeable guy, never has been.

Genius darts player but not likeable

golfball37 wrote: »
    Taylor's behaviour towards Barney on stage a few years ago finished him with me. A horrible man

If gracelessness on stage was an issue, you have one very long list of players to dislike over the years, like Mason and Lewis and Manley and Lloyd etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

So is this the earliest Phil Taylor has ever gone out of the world championship?

Would love to see Klaasen go all the way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If any of Wright, Wade, Smith or RVB win it (or Lewis even reaches the final) then they go above Taylor in the rankings knocking him down to 4th. This would make life complicated for him as he would be seeded to meet MVG in the semi finals of the big events.

Also one scenario (Wade beats Lewis in final) where both of them go above him knocking him down to 5th place which would see him needing a wildcard for the PL. Which would amuse me, though he would deservedly get it obviously.

In running Order of Merit for anyone interested. http://www.dartsdatabase.co.uk/Rankings.aspx
    (figures include quarter final prizemoney, but additional prizemoney of £265K for winner, £115K for runner up and £35K for beaten semi finalists all to be decided).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

bazermc wrote: »
    So is this the earliest Phil Taylor has ever gone out of the world championship?

Would love to see Klaasen go all the way now.

No, Chisnall knocked him out in the second round in 2012 and Michael Smith did the same in 2014.

Kevin Spiolek beat him very early in the competition in the mid 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

He is a bit like Hulk Hogan, never puts anyone over !!!! Same crap last night waits until he loses and then talks about the divorce.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think it's fairly widely accepted at this stage that Taylor is not the most likeable of people. From making his losing opponents sign the board and getting in a huff when they refuse, to being incredibly condescending towards other players when he was winning everything, coming up with every excuse under the sun when he loses, giving out about the crowd when they are against him but says nothing when they put his opponent off and acting the clown on stage numerous times.

The most damning thing about him though in my opinion is refusing to pose for photos or sign autographs for fans when he does an exhibition, instead he charges you €10 for a photo or autograph instead.

You have to remember though that all of these unlikeable personality traits helped him to become the ruthless Champion that he was and to win so many trophies with no regard for his opponent. Taylor was an incredible player and he is the reason Darts is so popular today with such an amazing standard.

I am in awe of what he has achieved in the sport, he is the very definition of a sporting legend but none of that means I have to like him, in fact I can't stand him and can't help but smile when I see him lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I think it's fairly widely accepted at this stage that Taylor is not the most likeable of people. From making his losing opponents sign the board and getting in a huff when they refuse, to being incredibly condescending towards other players when he was winning everything, coming up with every excuse under the sun when he loses, giving out about the crowd when they are against him but says nothing when they put his opponent off and acting the clown on stage numerous times.

The most damning thing about him though in my opinion is refusing to pose for photos or sign autographs for fans when he does an exhibition, instead he charges you €10 for a photo or autograph instead.

You have to remember though that all of these unlikeable personality traits helped him to become the ruthless Champion that he was and to win so many trophies with no regard for his opponent. Taylor was an incredible player and he is the reason Darts is so popular today with such an amazing standard.

I am in awe of what he has achieved in the sport, he is the very definition of a sporting legend but none of that means I have to like him, in fact I can't stand him and can't help but smile when I see him lose.

100%, I agree with all of that. It's sad the way Sky panders to him as well, I think Rod Harrington in particular is too much of a pussy to call Taylor out when he misbehaves. Mardle to an extent as well but at least he criticized him for saying that he's practising better than he ever has before (I even hear local lads telling me how great they're practising, who cares, go out and do it when everyone is watching)

Bristow seems to be the only one who calls Taylor out on his mistakes and behaviour and Taylor isn't talking to him anymore, says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelle_Klaasen#PDC

I see someone edited his wiki page to have him defeat Banrey 7-6 in the final :D

In all seriousness though, would only class myself as a casual darts fan, but this tournament has been nothing short of sensational so far. Glued to it the last few night. Long wait till the quarters tomorrow (particularly with the ****e New Years Eve television schedule).

Plumping for Barney, as he has produced back-to-back classics and have always been in his army, but feel it may be Wright's tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kingp35 wrote: »

His darts career has been incredible and I don't think anyone will equal his record. I hope however that, when he retires, Sky do not take him on as an analyst/commentator. I can just imagine the fawning that would go on, a bit like they do to Jack Nicklaus at the Masters

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »
    His darts career has been incredible and I don't think anyone will equal his record. I hope however that, when he retires, Sky do not take him on as an analyst/commentator. I can just imagine the fawning that would go on, a bit like they do to Jack Nicklaus at the Masters

I'd say he mightn't be a bad analyst, he certainly won't be afraid to criticise and think of the sniping between him and Bristow, could be the Dunphy and Brady of the darts world.

Advertisement