Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do they get paid?

Options
  • 30-11-2015 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

sara1 wrote: »
    Just wondering how much beauty bloggers get paid for featuring a product on their blog or social media? Recently a blogger I follow was plugging a place that sells prams and car seats. She often frequents this place and always comes away with something from there, this is then followed by praise for the company on social media. I messaged this girl on snapchat and asked her if she got this piece of equipment for free, her response was; "blocked. Take your negativity somewhere else.". Now bare in mind I had never contacted this person before, yet my query was deemed negative and I was thus blocked.

So why is it that these bloggers seem untouchable? I wasn't even criticising her, simply asking a question, but it seems nobody is allowed to do this or it's met with harsh defence. There is no other job on the planet where people go about their work happy clappy and full of praise, but it seems to me that bloggers are simply incapable of dealing with any kind of critique or question of their motives or we are deemed "negative" or "haters". So sick of all of them and have unfollowed all of them now. Anyone else think the same?

I don't think they all get paid for everything but if you're seen praising a product or company than other companies recognize that and are more likely to send you products or business. Like every blogger going plugs inglot therefore they will continue to get sent products from inglot. No idea if they do get paid for it but I did see in a magazine recently an Irish youtuber that said she does videos on inglot products and has a discount code for her followers and when they use that she gets a cut.

Or they get free treatments, nails, hair etc. I'd say most brands don't pay them to say things but if you praise lots of products and brands then you will continue to get sent new products. Like the new naked smoky palette.

I know who you're referring to as well btw. About 6ish months ago she also went into inglot and got a ten shade eye palette and a lip palette. And a couple of other bits. I have never ever ever seen her refer to those products for a makeup look she has done. She wears the same lipstick every day and has 3 shades of eye colour that she wears. Rarely ever anything else. Every now and again I think of that palette she made up and wonder is it lonely haha.

Most bloggers don't say anything negative about anywhere because they would run the risk of future companies not wanting to work with them. Which makes sense I suppose but it's fairly pathetic that they would rather say nothing than give a truly honest opinion.

Inglot, flormar, the body shop, lush, blank canvas, urban decay, the balm, young blood, Rimmel, bourgeois, me me me. They're just a few I can think of right now that all feature very heavily on snapchat or blog posts. And usually the same specific products. Like right now the inglot Christmas palette, the balm liquid lipsticks, Rimmel foundation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Some bloggers get paid, some bloggers don't at all. We have one who comes in, has things done, and she'll snap a bit and that's it. When people ask where she's been, she'll tell them but she doesn't talk about us all the time.
    We've been approached from other bloggers who ask for free treatments, in exchange for exposure on social media.
    And some bloggers will want payment and free treatments to do some promotional work. There is no set rules.

One blogger that comes to us as a client not promotional tells us that some clothing companies send her clothes and she'll put a link up as to where they can buy items she's wearing and if they buy through this link, she receives commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Some bloggers also get vouchers with a suggestion that they buy x product along with a few other bits of their choosing. As far as I know, Space nk does this a lot. As LexieOnRale said, some will use affiliate links under their posts to make money while others are paid for mentions. It's for this reason that I never trust end of month favourites videos. If I see the product being used as part of a GRWM or something like that and i think it looks good, I'll buy it but the big list of products that sometimes look barely used is a hard pass from me.

For anyone that's interested Siobhan from letzmakeup did a really good video on sponsorship and native placement/advertising and she explains how bloggers/vloggers can advertise products what having to use a disclaimer or state they've been paid. A lot of snapchatters use the techniques particularly the English ones, but it's creeping in a lot here. Happens a lot in videos too. It can be very very subtle but once you've understood the concept you will see it everywhere. Kind of hard to explain but it's along the lines of slipping things in that aren't exactly what you referring to at the time. Like in a video the blogger getting thirsty and drinking a can of whatever and saying you've been loving it lately.

It's much easier on snapchat because all they have to do is say 'so 250 people have asked where my air freshener is from so I'm just gonna say it on my public snapchat rather than reply to everyone privately'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sara1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A couple of months ago there was a thread here on this subject of snapchat beauty bloggers. The issue of paid product reviews arose and there was a hysterical reaction from the ladies on snapchat claiming to be terribly upset by the slightest questioning of their genuineness with all claiming they'd never do a biased review,no ulterior motives going on,no interest in promoting themselves etc.
    Fast forward a few months on and they're organising days out like " the bridy brunch" where you can pay to meet these "stars". I'd be very careful about trusting anything they're saying really.

A few notable exceptions to the above I think are Rose Mary McCabe and Olarich as she seems to be buying herself from sephora etc or does immediately mention if something is free. I've seen her say she hasn't liked free things too so I would take her a little more seriously.

sara1 wrote: »

Yeah but she might just like it too. There's more of a chance she's being honest than the others I think so I give her the benefit of the doubt.

The others are just too much. A few days before the "bridie brunch" Ellen and some others were in Penneys together snapchatting saying they were popping in for something to wear to some awards ceremony (as if!).
    Next weekend they suddenly have Penneys vouchers for everyone who went to their day out and have a Penneys voucher to the best dressed girl wearing Penneys at the event. It was clearly an ad.
    They are blatantly just out to make some money!

I'd just like to clear up when I mentioned snapchat I wasn't saying that every single person on snapchat is advertising or getting paid. It was just an example of how some people are advertising products. Also on YouTube.

I remember the last thread I didn't comment on it at the time I thought it got very personal and very bitchy very fast.
    And because of it I won't mentioning anyone by name because I've no interest in fueling any fires.

What I've posted about to do with advertising on YouTube and snapchat is what I've read and learned about from bloggers and YouTube. Not speculation not gossip.

Bloggers also make money from reward style. They can get cuts from people buying the outfits they post about on Instagram or their blogs. SoSueMe talked about this is in recent interview with stellar. I think the big earner for the bigger bloggers is from workshops, master classes or appearances in chemists etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Do people really think they are doing it of goodness of their heart? It's just another form of promotion. make up writers in magazines and newspapers also get stuff for free. Very often accompanied with a nice advertising package.

Beauty and fashion writing is grand to draw attention to something but not eve close to being independent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 loulou87

My sister in law works in PR. Two of her clients are beauty and she's always filling me in on the inside goss and how disillusioned she's become with bloggers and certain journalists..

A certain blogger who has become 'Irish blogger famous' charges quite a bit.
    So my sis in law was launching a new beauty salon. Part of a PR launch would usually involve inviting traditional media, beauty journalists, lifestyle journos etc in for a treatment 'to review' or to write about.
    Most journalists would never dream of asking for money.

Certain bloggers however are different.
    Said 'blogger famous' girl was invited to review and responded with.. Sure it's €300 for review and social media posting on one of the treatments. That includes a blog post and posts on FB/Instagram/Twitter and snapchat.
    The treatment that she was offered is usually €140 for 90mins. So she was getting it free with a review in exchange.

What really gets me is that in no way was she going to say anything bad about the treatment. Or state in any posts that she had been invited....

I understand that bloggers who choose to blog for a job need to make money.
    How and ever, there are honest ways they can do that.
    Even with disclaimers like most of the UK bloggers do, Lily pebbles, Estée etc.

It really annoys me.
    I see my teenage niece and she hangs off every word these girls say.
    Not even my gentle words of persuasion will influence her.

There apparently is something being done about advertising and misuse of content etc with the advertising atandard authority. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

oh and the 'Bridie Brunch' ..... What a strange strange world we live in. Each to their own.

what annoys me is people who would put their name to anything at all. For example.
    Beauty bloggers using their social media to plug nonsense like buggies or carry cots.
    Beauty bloggers plugging car dealerships
    Beauty bloggers plugging restaurants.

I love Rosemary, she'll post different places she's been to for lunch but it's not plugging it, it's just showing the food she can't have. Then you have people who look like the last thing they'd have experience with was eating and food, plugging somewhere fancy.

what annoys me is people who would put their name to anything at all. For example.
    Beauty bloggers using their social media to plug nonsense like buggies or carry cots.

I love Rosemary, she'll post different places she's been to for lunch but it's not plugging it, it's just showing the food she can't have. Then you have people who look like the last thing they'd have experience with was eating and food, plugging somewhere fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I did beauty PR for a couple of years and I encountered lots of bloggers who will do an honest review if you sent them the product, which is grand, much the same with traditional press. However, there are one or two professional bloggers who make their money from promotional articles and I don't have a problem with that. The issue I had was that one or two bloggers wanted money to do a good review, it didn't matter if the product was crap. A review should be a third party endorsement, if I wanted something that raved about the product I would pay for an advertorial.

What is really stupid is that most PRs would provide product for free and wouldn't dream of insisting of demanding a piece in return, the blogger thing really has blurred the lines between advertising and PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Personally I have unfollowed all of them expect Rosemary, who technically isn't a beauty blogger. It just all got too much there for a while, constant bombardment that showed no signs of stopping so I removed myself from it all. I take on board opinions of the latest beauty purchases thread on here more than any "celeb" blogger blatantly promoting stuff. It's all a farce as far as I can see.

I believe when the buggies and cars come in we must refer to them as 'lifestyle' bloggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Vast majority are lifestyle bloggers. Their followers must think that buying stuff they promote will bring them a bit closer to supposed lifestyle those bloggers are living. It's how it works. I don't blame them, it's up to regulatory bodies to provide the framework and make sure they stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I remember that old thread. I'm cynical. The Irish blogging scene is small and Revenue doesn't seem to monitor how bloggers make money through rstyle links. The US has strict rules on sponsored posts and links for blogs and I wish the same applied here.
    The consumption levels of some are kind of gross. There's one beauty blogger I occasionally watch on snapchat and she recently boasted that her large storage units for her makeup were full. How can anyone need drawers, boxes and wardrobes of makeup products, worth thousands of Euro? If she was a total amateur I might give her a pass but she was also pushing her makeup classes and appearances.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Do people really think they are doing it of goodness of their heart? It's just another form of promotion. make up writers in magazines and newspapers also get stuff for free. Very often accompanied with a nice advertising package.

Beauty and fashion writing is grand to draw attention to something but not eve close to being independent.

Exactly, it's a business. The disturbing thing though was how irate they were at that suggestion in the last thread. There was a weird level overreaction and outright denial that this is what it was about and hysteria about them being attacked in perfectly respectful posts that questioned their motives/associations. If they're up front it's grand, when they're not it feels like manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Exactly, it's a business. The disturbing thing though was how irate they were at that suggestion in the last thread. There was a weird level overreaction and outright denial that this is what it was about and hysteria about them being attacked in perfectly respectful posts that questioned their motives/associations. If they're up front it's grand, when they're not it feels like manipulation.

Ugh yeah. We're all jealous haters who won't #supportbloggers if we're asking any questions instead of fawning over them and clicking through for them to make money through rstyle. Or something.

When they're pushing something they expect to come across like Romy and Michelle business women. When there's any criticism they just a small blog trying to be a voice for helping their followers. They can't have it both ways if they're monitising their blogs and social media.

• Advertisement

It's mad though how people can't even ask them questions outside of "omg you look amazing where is your top from" or they get mad. I had an experience like the op where I just asked a simple question as to whether a post was sponsored and I was immediately blocked. They definitely do not want people to know that they are getting paid for posts, and I call that deception, especially for younger girls who don't know any better. That's why I like Rosemary, I noticed she was plugging flormar and oasis a lot a few weeks ago and I messaged her and she replied and said she genuinely likes flormar and wouldn't say it's great if it wasn't, she also said oasis gave her a voucher for being on the xpose thing and so she was using that towards the stuff she was showing on snapchat, and she was very non confrontational and matter of fact. Some of them take themselves way too seriously.

I love when it's obviously an advertisement. Because generally if one blogger does an obvious paid post 50 more will follow or you'll see a collab later on with the company.

Like opsh or vavavoom. They tend to all do them at the same time. Or if a blogger is a spokesperson for the brand like Nima brushes, blank canvas or tower jewellers. These are obviously ads and paid endorsements. All grand.

But when it's something like ' oh I'm so thirsty I'm really loving vita coco right now'. Or 'wow I've just discovered this amazing new app that can find you a hairdresser in your area'

I've noticed quite a few are also jumping on bandwagons to try and get in on certain brands as well.
    Like picking up the new Charlotte Tilbury foundation and after two days referring to it as 'my usual base'. No review no comments just subtly incoporating it into a routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭doireannod

Tax evasion is the issue. I reckon they're very secretive about what they're getting paid because they aren't declaring it with The Revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

There's a local blogger that I follow purely because she is local (Limerick in this case) and I'm interested in seeing clothes etc from local shops, but lately she has CONSTANTLY been plugging "Georgia Jane skincare". A couple of people have asked her if she's being paid to promote it, and their comments were promptly deleted. It's blatantly obvious that she is.

There's a local blogger that I follow purely because she is local (Limerick in this case) and I'm interested in seeing clothes etc from local shops, but lately she has CONSTANTLY been plugging "Georgia Jane skincare". A couple of people have asked her if she's being paid to promote it, and their comments were promptly deleted. It's blatantly obvious that she is.

Ya it's the secrecy and deception that I don't get. Like how can they do it? I can honestly say that Id hate making money out of being so misleading and deceptive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Would be interested to know who this is if you can say here or PM me?

I'm also in Limerick and didn't know there were any local beauty bloggers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Would be interested to know who this is if you can say here or PM me?

I'm also in Limerick and didn't know there were any local beauty bloggers :)

Will PM you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Thanks lady :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

doireannod wrote: »
    Tax evasion is the issue. I reckon they're very secretive about what they're getting paid because they aren't declaring it with The Revenue.
    In fairness I did hear one blogger mention having to meet with her accountant just before the tax deadline. But AFAIK she works as a freelance make up artist so she would be required to prepare accounts and file tax returns anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement