Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do they get paid?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

ameliams wrote: »
    I love when it's obviously an advertisement. Because generally if one blogger does an obvious paid post 50 more will follow or you'll see a collab later on with the company.
    This. I used to follow a lot of beauty bloggers but had to cut back cos it just hadn't time to look at a million snapchats!!
    But one thing I noticed about following so many of them was that they would all be plugging a particular product all within a few days of one another. I don't think they realised how obvious they seemed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I think it's pretty wildly know at this stage that it's all 'fake' and they are paid to promote most of the products they are talking about. If they can make a living out of it fair play to them. I think with the new legislation coming in it might taper off a little bit, but maybe not.

I'd love to know how they predict earnings. One blogger was saying she was saving to buy a house. When applying for a mortgage, how can they say they'll have X amount of earnings in order to keep up with mortgage repayments?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

And just one last post.
    I don't mind bloggers getting paid or sponsored for posts, once they clearly state same in their post. For the genuine bloggers, it takes quite a lot of time to photograph, write, research, proof read, etc. But unfortunately blogging seems to be moving more from being a hobby to being a business which is disappointing. I do notice those who have a genuine interest in what they blog about and their blogs are so interesting to read. I think when someone goes to the trouble to write a blog post, I appreciate the thought and effort that goes into it.

I remember earlier this year, a blogger having a bit of a rant saying how people were having a go at her about getting free stuff and that the free stuff doesn't pay the rent or the bills, which was a fair point to make. But a few days later she posted up a pic of an expensive designer purchase. I just had to unfollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/ftcs-endorsement-guides-what-people-are-asking

These are the US rules and guidelines on blogging income.

I think in Ireland the nod and a wink culture applies across the board, including to blogging. When bloggers want to be treated as paid professionals, they say how much time and work goes into it, but when they get any constructive criticism or more probing questions, suddenly they'll just a small timer with a hobby and they get all defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

In fairness if you forget to declare certain revenues, you won't advertise in your posts or feedback that you got paid for it. I am not saying it's right but I think state bodies are paying more and more attention to internet activity and I don't think any blogger wants any mention of payments in their comments. That's besides creating the impression of being unbiased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

I've noticed on snapchat particularly an influx of 'I'm not paid to say this I just genuinely think it's amazing' but all that makes me think is grand so when you don't say that you probably are getting paid.

I don't really care so much about them getting paid for saying something, the whole lick arse attitude is worse. Talking about how great a product is in the hopes of more work coming your way. Or praising a product to the roof so when your product/book/random crap is out they'll do the same.

On another note for months I've been following an Irish youtuber for her makeup tutorials, she did hauls and other bits too that I wasn't too interested in (hauls make me feel a bit ill at the excessiveness of it all) but recently I noticed a new video up, a morning routine. I didnt know why the hell would anyone watch a morning routine, and then I found its actually a thing that people do, uploading videos of what they do in the morning. So I watched.I would rarely unfollow someone for an aspect that I don't particularly like but after watching and seeing five various brands dropped in within 5 mins I unfollowed.

To be clear I mean I didnt like the product placement without a disclaimer. I do not have a problem with what anyone puts on youtube for any reason. My problem was PRODUCT PLACEMENT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I've noticed on snapchat particularly an influx of 'I'm not paid to say this I just genuinely think it's amazing' but all that makes me think is grand so when you don't say that you probably are getting paid.

I don't really care so much about them getting paid for saying something, the whole lick arse attitude is worse. Talking about how great a product is in the hopes of more work coming your way. Or praising a product to the roof so when your product/book/random crap is out they'll do the same.

On another note for months I've been following an Irish youtuber for her makeup tutorials, she did hauls and other bits too that I wasn't too interested in (hauls make me feel a bit ill at the excessiveness of it all) but recently I noticed a new video up, a morning routine. Why the hell would anyone watch a morning routine, and then I found its actually a thing that people do, uploading videos of what they do in the morning. I would rarely unfollow someone for an aspect that I don't particularly like but after watching and seeing five various brands dropped in within 5 mins I unfollowed.

I like those videos, each to their own I guess -But it's not really relevant to this topic, probably best to keep it on how they get paid / benefits in kind rather than things that annoy you - otherwise this thread will get shut down too

I like those videos, each to their own I guess -But it's not really relevant to this topic, probably best to keep it on how they get paid / benefits in kind rather than things that annoy you - otherwise this thread will get shut down too

I wasn't saying the video annoyed me I said I unfollowed because the video was an advertisement of various products, so yes it is relevant. Which she would have been paid for. I don't care about the videos I cared that it was advertisements for several products without once stating she was advertising anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I wasn't saying the video annoyed me I said I unfollowed because the video was an advertisement of various products, so yes it is relevant. Which she would have been paid for. I don't care about the videos I cared that it was advertisements for several products without once stating she was advertising anything.

You complained that it was a morning routine, not that you were suspicious it was all paid for product placement, maybe be clearer in your posts so this thread doesn't get locked

You complained that it was a morning routine, not that you were suspicious it was all paid for product placement, maybe be clearer in your posts so this thread doesn't get locked

I specifically stated that I don't unfollow people if they post things I don't like, such as hauls. I literally had no idea such thing as a morning routine existed, I learned they did after seeing more come up on the sidebar. I watched and saw it was created to purely feature several brands under the facade of a "morning routine". I dont care what anyone does on youtube I cared that it was a fake video created to sell product. I know this not only because it was incredibly obvious but also in the comments she offered several discount and deals on the products used.

I dont see the issue with what I've said. I said I dont unfollow if I dont like something I unfollowed because of the five brands in five mins shoved in my face.

And the last thread closed because of extreme bitchiness on peoples appearances not because I said I didnt like a video.

• Advertisement

I agree I don't think considered criticism was a problem in previous threads, they were just full of personal attacks. This thread is miles away from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭doireannod

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    In fairness I did hear one blogger mention having to meet with her accountant just before the tax deadline. But AFAIK she works as a freelance make up artist so she would be required to prepare accounts and file tax returns anyway.

Yes- a few of them have mentioned going to their accountants. I just wonder if they declare everything they earn.

Taboola wrote: »
    I think it's pretty wildly know at this stage that it's all 'fake' and they are paid to promote most of the products they are talking about. If they can make a living out of it fair play to them. I think with the new legislation coming in it might taper off a little bit, but maybe not.

I'd love to know how they predict earnings. One blogger was saying she was saving to buy a house. When applying for a mortgage, how can they say they'll have X amount of earnings in order to keep up with mortgage repayments?

I will eat my cute, little, Christmassy bobble hat the day a "blogger/instagrammer/snapchatter" gets approved for a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

doireannod wrote: »
    I will eat my cute, little, Christmassy bobble hat the day a "blogger/instagrammer/snapchatter" gets approved for a mortgage.

Famous Irish blogger now moving into a 5-bed house, someone asked her had she bought it or was renting and she deleted their comment. It's just so silly how you can't even ask a question without being a "hater". It's sad because sometimes I do think their skin looks great or their teeth look white but you'll automatically get a "Oh I'm using iWhite for 3 days now and LOVING the results" when i know for a fact that's just a plug.

I would delete that too. Unless you are property blogger or something that is nobody's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I was just about to say the same, it's not really anyone's business, very personal thing to ask.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I would delete that too. Unless you are property blogger or something that is nobody's business.

Someone just asked with genuine enthusiasm "Oh wow congrats that's fab, are you buying or renting?" and she deleted it; there was no malice, the girl was just thrilled for her and wanted to know more. I think if you are a lifestyle blogger and you make things public (as in on snapchat, instagram and facebook) then you should be prepared to answer questions. Otherwise don't put it up. There's a bit of an air of secrecy that makes me feel like some of them aren't very genuine.

Anyways, just my two cents, their own prerogative :rolleyes:

The girl was just nosey. It really is personal stuff that has nothing to do with products they are selling.

Personally I think the only blogs worth checking would be the ones that would keep personal stuff completely to themselves and be very open about commercial side of things.

I have absolutely no interest about what salad had someone for lunch or where they live. But I would love to know when I google some beauty product that quality is genuinely there and that it wasn't endorsed just because financial benefits were great.

meeeeh wrote: »
    The girl was just nosey. It really is personal stuff that has nothing to do with products they are selling.

Personally I think the only blogs worth checking would be the ones that would keep personal stuff completely to themselves and be very open about commercial side of things.

I have absolutely no interest about what salad had someone for lunch or where they live. But I would love to know when I google some beauty product that quality is genuinely there and that it wasn't endorsed just because financial benefits were great.

I agree - but they are hard to come by these days, I find myself unfollowing more and more of them. It's a pity because I would say they are lovely girls, just getting caught up in it all. :(

aine92 wrote: »
    Someone just asked with genuine enthusiasm "Oh wow congrats that's fab, are you buying or renting?" and she deleted it; there was no malice, the girl was just thrilled for her and wanted to know more. I think if you are a lifestyle blogger and you make things public (as in on snapchat, instagram and facebook) then you should be prepared to answer questions. Otherwise don't put it up. There's a bit of an air of secrecy that makes me feel like some of them aren't very genuine.

Anyways, just my two cents, their own prerogative :rolleyes:

Yeah I kind of agree with you there. Like obviously it is a nosy question but she wasn't being nasty. If you put personal things out there, home, relationships etc people are going to comment on it. I don't believe anyone should be nasty or critical of their decisions, but if you talk about certain things to do with your personal life then you have to expect people will ask questions. If you don't want someone to ask about your new house then don't mention you have a new house.

• Advertisement

Yeah I kind of agree with you there. Like obviously it is a nosy question but she wasn't being nasty. If you put personal things out there, home, relationships etc people are going to comment on it. I don't believe anyone should be nasty or critical of their decisions, but if you talk about certain things to do with your personal life then you have to expect people will ask questions. If you don't want someone to ask about your new house then don't mention you have a new house.

My thoughts exactly. Don't want questions about your house? Don't talk about your house. Rosanna Davison only ever talks about food. She doesn't talk about her family, her husband, or her house. Therefore, people don't end up asking her things like if she's renting or buying.

On the topic of bloggers and houses, Tanya Burr's new house is literally my dream home

Exactly, and I personally would hate the idea of being a blogger because I would hate how intrusive it is. Free stuff would be brilliant but I prefer people not to comment on weight gain or the spot on my chin or how they don't like my outfit... well not to my face anyway!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cookie2015

Ya I've unfollowed them all recently, majority of them are the same and just repetitive.
    And you're so right OP you can't say or ask anything and you're hit with the hater tag/blocked/girls shouldn't be putting each other down. It's hilarious really. I unfollowed them because I was sick of them plugging a new product and the next day plugging something else both with the like 'this is the most amazing one ever....' And was also sick of seeing the poor boyfriends (most who come acorns like they don't even own a pair of **!!* in all the snaps... best paid taxi drivers in Dublin for sure!!
    Wouldn't trust anything they say or follow anything they plug!
    It's quite funny when they are altogether, you'll see one of them doing a snap video and all the others are just glued to their phones in the back! Looks like fun ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I'm a little more tired of the practically weekly posts addressing said "hate" and "negativity".

I can't believe people actually buy tickets to meet up with these people

Today I've seen the exact same, word for word post about Therapie hair removal on three seperate "blogger" accounts. "Delighted to announce im working with therapie on their new campaign".. Bla bla. So the companies must actually write the posts for the bloggers? Because they all seem to have the same post

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

I've found <SNIP> to be quite genuine, I've messaged her a few times and found her to be very honest and down to earth.
    Used to follow and love a Dublin based blogger married to another 'celeb' but I found her to be a walking advertisement for certain brands. You honestly couldn't keep up with all the products and labels she uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - this thread is the healthiest discussion we've had about bloggers for a long time. Let's keep it that way, and let's not refer to individual bloggers as that is often where it starts to get personal.

Happy Christmas

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

Absolutely no interest in beauty and fashion, just entered this thread because the title caught my eye. It's an interesting topic and funny, even. Maybe some posters will also know about the gaming community on YouTube/Twitch etc. and similar happens in that community. Content creators are given sponsorships and paid for promotions etc. but the thing is that most of them are still very open and honest about the fact that what they're promoting or even advertising is paid and they're cool with answering questions about it because that's just the best way to be about the whole thing.

Yet from what I read about the beauty industry online very few b/vloggers have this attitude and the funniest part about that is that, aside from the very large and most popular ones that also own and run companies and sell books etc., most of them are earning very little when compared to the gamers. So why then can they not just be open and honest about it all because then people like posters in this thread would probably be much more understanding, as long as they weren't absolutely overdoing it altogether and shoving it down your throats. They seriously must be very delicate little flowers if they can't even take the slightest bit of challenging questioning online lol. Your community needs to do something about this so they get over themselves and learn to not avoid questions which aren't even negative or Hateful, that's seriously pathetic.

Any b/vloggers possibly lurking this thread and reading this post should seriously do some self assessment to see if they're like these people. If you are, just realise that it could stand to benefit you a lot more by just being totally transparent with your followers and viewers because they're not idiots, they will see that you're being genuine and you'll stand out from the fake crowd and be seen as a more trustworthy person to follow. Don't completely sell yourself out. Yes, it's good to make more money but in the long run it's better to consider the effects of whatever campaigns and advertisements you run can have on your appearance to the audience. Don't just see money signs and jump at every opportunity, at least not if you intend on doing this all long term.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement