Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do they get paid?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Rolling my eyes at a certain bloggers gym photo today. I can't believe I forget to wear a giant woolly hat complete with pom pom when I go to the gym myself. Must rectify that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Rolling my eyes at a certain bloggers gym photo today. I can't believe I forget to wear a giant woolly hat complete with pom pom when I go to the gym myself. Must rectify that!

Please keep on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I got blocked from a certain Bridie's husband's Snapchat and the question I asked was grand. They strike me as a temperamental bunch.
    Rosemary (when positive), Marissa Carter and Sharon Leavy are my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I got sick of them on snapchat so I removed them all, the only one I have on there now is Sinead from The Beautiful Truth, god I love her.

She's not afraid to say if she dislikes/hates something, I've mailed her a few times (on Snapchat and Facebook) and she always replies.

She's such a lovely, genuine person, she is one of the very few I will trust reviews from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I got blocked from a certain Bridie's husband's Snapchat and the question I asked was grand. They strike me as a temperamental bunch.
    Rosemary (when positive), Marissa Carter and Sharon Leavy are my favourites.

What did you ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭mada999

Taboola wrote: »
    I think it's pretty wildly know at this stage that it's all 'fake' and they are paid to promote most of the products they are talking about. If they can make a living out of it fair play to them. I think with the new legislation coming in it might taper off a little bit, but maybe not.

I'd love to know how they predict earnings. One blogger was saying she was saving to buy a house. When applying for a mortgage, how can they say they'll have X amount of earnings in order to keep up with mortgage repayments?

mortgage in exchange for a review ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Are these Irish or international bloggers?
    How many followers would an Irish blogger need to start making money from advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

A lot of them plugging Charlotte Tilbury foundation lately. Hard to know whether or not it's genuine. I think it's telling when I find myself actually avoiding the products they talk about and reccommend and rely more on the opinions of friends or the beauty thread here.
    Also it gets on my wick that many just seem to complain about their lives all the time and how hectic they are, especially one who admits to not doing any cooking and isn't bothered to learn and brings all her laundry to the dry cleaners. Hectic me eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

anna080 wrote: »
    A lot of them plugging Charlotte Tilbury foundation lately. Hard to know whether or not it's genuine. I think it's telling when I find myself actually avoiding the products they talk about and reccommend and rely more on the opinions of friends or the beauty thread here.

Sinead from The Beautiful Truth, as mentioned above, raved about the CT foundation initially when she got some samples, but when she bought a bottle herself she said it didn't seem the same, and she wasn't that fussed on it.

That's what I like to hear. I don't mind bloggers being excited about new exciting products, but it's refreshing to hear someone admit that the product was not all that, in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

I see a lot of bloggers receiving new products and promising a review once they've tried it out but I'd say 90% of it never makes it to a blog. Like obviously you can't every single thing that has been sent to you. But everyone just reviews the same things. If there's 850 reviews of the new Gwen Stefani palette would it not make sense to review something else.

And I see so many bloggers praising certain drug store products on snapchat but they've never once written a review on their blog. So it's a good product but not good enough to deserve a review or just not worth it as you won't be paid for it?

And these blog posts which consist of three press photos and a paragraph. If I want to know the details of a product I can google it. If I'm reading a blog I want to know something that the official brand website can't tell me.

Anyone doing a master class or a workshop is making a mint though. Tickets 75 a pop and these 'goody bags' which are all donated products. I saw essence foundation in a recent one. Now essence have some fab products (most definitely not the foundation) but they can be picked up anywhere for a couple of euro. No way are you getting even half your money back in product.

Oops bit of a rant there.

• Advertisement

I think those fashion and beauty workshops are madly priced. You're basically putting your €100 into the back pocket of the blogger. The products are all pr driven and donated, same with the clothes in the fashion section, they're lent by the particular shops (mostly River Island) shops to boost sales. Crazy. Wouldn't ever dream of spending that much on one of those events. However at least they put in effort into putting on a show. So many other "bloggers" are now teaming up and touring certain counties and charging their followers money just to meet them. Sorry but that's just mortifying on their part.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Nothing to do with the topic on hand.

Posters, this is not a bitching thread about who did what on snapchat.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Maybe I am just really sad and silly but it makes me sad that I can't trust what they say, or at least very few of them. It's grand for things like the odd Rimmel Foundation (bought Match Perfection on a couple of bloggers recommendations and it's now my go-to over Double Wear and MAC!) but for higher end items like Charlotte Tilbury and other brands, it makes me stupidly want things when I know damn well they are probably being paid to say how pigmented it is or how the coverage is like, the best ever, or how it is "Definitely my new fave" when they'll be using something different the next week.

Something that is a dead giveaway is in a video/snapchat/instagram/whatever they will gush gush gush gush about OH MY GOD most AMAZING ever I can't BELIEVE i'm only just discovering this now, you HAVE to have it... and then they slip in their personalised little discount code. Would they be gushing if they weren't being paid? Chances are not.

I actually really like the personalities of 99% of Irish/UK/US bloggers I follow, but I just can't see past their thinly veiled deception. I would like to think to a certain extent I have enough cop on to realise what they are at (most of the time, I slip occasionally ;-) ) but it annoys me that other people, especially youngsters, might not see through it.
    Guuurl I just want some honesty!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

@Aine92 - I also have that problem with the some of the irish bloggers that as you said they will gush over certain products and then you'll never see them use the products after that week. it's hard to find out what's worth buying when they have new favourites every week that you just "have to buy"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

There's a blogger who's also a member on here raving about the hotel she's staying in at the moment and this thread has me wondering if she's after getting it for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

There's another popular blogger who recently raved about her eyebrow treatment. I think the cost was €480! For that price I strongly suspect she got the treatment free or at a massive discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

There's a blogger who's also a member on here raving about the hotel she's staying in at the moment and this thread has me wondering if she's after getting it for free!
    Add your reply here.
    I'm usually sceptical when I see those types of posts too. Another one I've noticed a lot of is posts about Invisalign clear braces. There's usually one blogger on about how they just got them & how they're getting on with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just an update on this, given an article in today's Sunday Business Post. The Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland is planning to crack down on bloggers (and I assume snapchatters etc)

http://www.businesspost.ie/bloggers-beware/
    Bloggers beware

Have you fallen for it? The face cream that turns back the clock 20 years. Or the diet book that melts the pounds off as soon as you carry it through the checkout. Or the smartwatch that can monitor your heart rate, improve your sleep and tell you why your significant other dumped you.

Products that seem too good to be true, but they come with a recommendation from your favourite blogger. They wouldn’t lie to you. Or would they?

The article is behind a paywall, so I can't post the content here, but you get the idea. I think this kind of initiative is long overdue. Clear disclosure of payment will go a long way in reassuring readers about the content they read.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just an update on this, given an article in today's Sunday Business Post. The Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland is planning to crack down on bloggers (and I assume snapchatters etc)

http://www.businesspost.ie/bloggers-beware/
    Bloggers beware

Have you fallen for it? The face cream that turns back the clock 20 years. Or the diet book that melts the pounds off as soon as you carry it through the checkout. Or the smartwatch that can monitor your heart rate, improve your sleep and tell you why your significant other dumped you.

Products that seem too good to be true, but they come with a recommendation from your favourite blogger. They wouldn’t lie to you. Or would they?

The article is behind a paywall, so I can't post the content here, but you get the idea. I think this kind of initiative is long overdue. Clear disclosure of payment will go a long way in reassuring readers about the content they read.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

I hope this is implemented soon!

Watched a snapchat story the other day by a beauty blogger who tried out a brush set that a pharmacy had sent around to all the irish beauty bloggers just before Christmas and had them all raving about this set.

This beauty blogger went out and bought the set, around €30 for 12 brushes and said since that one of the brushes has completely fallen apart and the rest are all fairly poor and well below average.

Now I know €30 isn't much for 12 makeup brushes but it's still €30. I was just thinking about how many people would have went and bought these brushes after watching these bloggers rave about them when they aren't great quality.

I was wondering in a case like this is it that they were all paid or were they sent them out for free and asked to review with no payment exchanged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

rougegal wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    I'm usually sceptical when I see those types of posts too. Another one I've noticed a lot of is posts about Invisalign clear braces. There's usually one blogger on about how they just got them & how they're getting on with them.
    They have started to do this with a laser hair removal company too (not sure if I can name the company) but I noticed earlier this month that a few bloggers had near identical posts up within a few days of each other about starting on treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Jbosssie1

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    They have started to do this with a laser hair removal company too (not sure if I can name the company) but I noticed earlier this month that a few bloggers had near identical posts up within a few days of each other about starting on treatment.

Its so obvious no one would mind them getting free treatments or paid if they made it clear and actually did a proper review of their experience in a post instead of 10 second snaps one girl last week said her and her boyfriend were invited to a new restaurant and that she would snap the menu ect that's blatant advertising why should other companies pay for advertising the legal way while other place give a back hander to a blogger so unfair .. A girl on snapchat last night commented on this issue saying why are people moaning she gives all her free time to blogging social media and snapchat for free basically condoning it if you give up all that free time and don't enjoy it don't do it plenty do it for the love of it .. And as for cashing in with Bridie brunches ect extortion I expect more from one of the girls who's a success businesswoman do the brunch share your experiences with other woman and donate some proceeds to charity all that cashing in is not nice

The thing that I detest the most is how anyone that so much as queries or questions whether or not something is an ad of some sort they get labelled "negative" and "jealous". They then get a barrage of abuse from other commenters calling them out for even daring to ask such a question. I think this is why so many people don't question it as much, because it's mortifying to be humiliated like that and to be made look like you're being negative when you're absolutely not.

I mean, what is so "negative" about asking is this an ad? If it's negative to ask such thing then that would make me wary about the authenticity of the job their doing in the first place. They seem incapable of answering simple questions.

The thing that I detest the most is how anyone that so much as queries or questions whether or not something is an ad of some sort they get labelled "negative" and "jealous". They then get a barrage of abuse from other commenters calling them out for even daring to ask such a question. I think this is why so many people don't question it as much, because it's mortifying to be humiliated like that and to be made look like you're being negative when you're absolutely not.

I mean, what is so "negative" about asking is this an ad? If it's negative to ask such thing then that would make me wary about the authenticity of the job their doing in the first place. They seem incapable of answering simple questions.
    I agree if they are asked then answer honestly a simple no would be suffice if your blocked then the answer is a clear yes they and the company should be reported if that is the case I can see that happening soon when people feel
    They are being fooled they will just report them .. 10 seconds on snapchat advertising everything from make up to food to braces and laser treatments without any in depth review one blogger this morning was saying how much she loved a cream and that she wasn't being sponsored but had only tried it for the first time last night she put several snaps up about how great it was how is that a review using something once young girls will be running out buying it with the little money they have based on a once off use very irresponsible on that bloggers part I'm so glad that new regulation is coming out I love some of the bloggers there are some very honest girls and their reputation is being marred by some of the other girls

Jbosssie1 wrote: »
    I agree if they are asked then answer honestly a simple no would be suffice if your blocked then the answer is a clear yes they and the company should be reported if that is the case I can see that happening soon when people feel
    They are being fooled they will just report them .. 10 seconds on snapchat advertising everything from make up to food to braces and laser treatments without any in depth review one blogger this morning was saying how much she loved a cream and that she wasn't being sponsored but had only tried it for the first time last night she put several snaps up about how great it was how is that a review using something once young girls will be running out buying it with the little money they have based on a once off use very irresponsible on that bloggers part I'm so glad that new regulation is coming out I love some of the bloggers there are some very honest girls and their reputation is being marred by some of the other girls

As a matter of fact I just got blocked from this particular blogger for voicing this exact concern. I said to her, "don't you think bloggers have a responsibility/duty to try and test things for a period of time before they reccommend it to their followers? I mean it's the nature of the job right? I try things all the time that I immediately love, only to find a week later it did not suit me at all. The only difference between me and you is I do not have a platform of influence from which I reccommend the latest must haves to impressionable teens. I'm not throwing hate and I'm not being negative, just simply making a recommendation to you as a viewer".

Her response.
    "Don't you dare tell me how to do my job. If you don't like how I do my job then go follow someone else. I never told anyone to buy anything. BLOCKED. "Kissy face" "

Have to say I was a bit taken aback to be honest.

As a matter of fact I just got blocked from this particular blogger for voicing this exact concern. I said to her, "don't you think bloggers have a responsibility/duty to try and test things for a period of time before they reccommend it to their followers? I mean it's the nature of the job right? I try things all the time that I immediately love, only to find a week later it did not suit me at all. The only difference between me and you is I do not have a platform of influence from which I reccommend the latest must haves to impressionable teens. I'm not throwing hate and I'm not being negative, just simply making a recommendation to you as a viewer".

Her response.
    "Don't you dare tell me how to do my job. If you don't like how I do my job then go follow someone else. I never told anyone to buy anything. BLOCKED. "Kissy face" "

Wow. Looks like this one isn't as wholesome and sweet as she likes to portray herself.
    You have a right to ask Young girls are being taken in by these 10 second mentions .. If you don't like how I do my job ?? I don't know how mentioning items on snapchat is a job unless shes getting paid for the mentions then she definitely should be clear about what she's getting paid for it actually puts me off using these companies that are constantly being promoted without in depth reviews its so shady

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Graceless

Her response.

Wow. Looks like this one isn't as wholesome and sweet as she likes to portray herself.

Ugh, what a deplorable attitude. It's this kind of thing that has put me right off "career" bloggers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Her response.

Awful, awful attitude.

Have to say I've really, really gone off bloggers/YouTubers/Snapchatters etc. I just can't/won't trust anything they say, as I said before the only person I can and do trust is Sinead from The Beautiful Truth.

I'm dying to know who the blogger who blocked you is. I know we can't say on thread, have to say that attitude is seriously off putting. Such a horrible way to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Graceless

Another thing, she says "don't you dare tell me how to do my job" it's only ever a job if you're getting paid for it so if she's getting paid for writing that positive feedback about the cream, why isn't it being disclosed as such!

I honestly can't remember the last time I've went out and bought something on the strength of a recommendation from a blogger. I get my inspiration from here, among other places!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Her response.

That really is appalling!! "My job" !!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement