Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do they get paid?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Its such a shame. I loved following every blogger of snapchat since the start of last year but slowly have been deleting most of them. From car seats to braces to hair removal its just gone so repetitive and forced.

My biggest peeve is all these bloggers suddenly "working for themselves" and having huge celebrations. A certain person has just gone back freelance and she is a fantastic journalist, however for the others it's clearing a money making racket.

Another young girl always has "big news", and has now gone solo, just a few weeks after getting her new dream job at a certain make-up brand and even a promotion within that brand and being on xpose etc. She has worked for a few different companies over the last year since her popularity has risen and each job she takes its the best make up ever...... etc.

People need to make money, we all do. But false advertising is awful. At 31 years of age I can see through it, but the 15/16 year olds can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 christianhughes

Folks, it's worth noting that since the Consumer Protection Act 2007 came into effect, it has been a criminal offence for any paid for content not to clearly display that it is paid for. This is not defined to a certain media type and includes all content. And let's be clear - Criminal Offence!

If you feel that a blogger / instagrammer / snapchatter / facebooker etc. etc. is posting reviews or endorsements of products or services that they have received a payment for (either monetary or by payment in kind) then you should make a complaint to the Competition & Consumer Protection Commission, who are tasked with upholding the Consumer Protection Act 2007.

Unfortunately, there really isn't anyone actively policing the act, and as the marketing, advertising and pr industries are mostly self regulated, the campaign that the ASAI has launched is a fantastic move. However, I believe that the ASAI is mostly concerned with creating guidelines and instructing people rather than policing.

So, if you have a legitimate complaint against a piece of content that was paid for by a brand or business and not disclosed as such, make a complaint to the Competition & Consumer Protection Commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Folks, it's worth noting that since the Consumer Protection Act 2007 came into effect, it has been a criminal offence for any paid for content not to clearly display that it is paid for. This is not defined to a certain media type and includes all content. And let's be clear - Criminal Offence!

If you feel that a blogger / instagrammer / snapchatter / facebooker etc. etc. is posting reviews or endorsements of products or services that they have received a payment for (either monetary or by payment in kind) then you should make a complaint to the Competition & Consumer Protection Commission, who are tasked with upholding the Consumer Protection Act 2007.

Unfortunately, there really isn't anyone actively policing the act, and as the marketing, advertising and pr industries are mostly self regulated, the campaign that the ASAI has launched is a fantastic move. However, I believe that the ASAI is mostly concerned with creating guidelines and instructing people rather than policing.

So, if you have a legitimate complaint against a piece of content that was paid for by a brand or business and not disclosed as such, make a complaint to the Competition & Consumer Protection Commission.

Interesting - what section of the Act covers this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Jbosssie1 wrote: »
    Is the link on this I can't find it will you post it for me please I'd like to read it

I have deleted previous references to that link, and I do not want it posted again. We are not here to target individuals.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Jbosssie1

heyjude88 wrote: »
    Its such a shame. I loved following every blogger of snapchat since the start of last year but slowly have been deleting most of them. From car seats to braces to hair removal its just gone so repetitive and forced.

My biggest peeve is all these bloggers suddenly "working for themselves" and having huge celebrations. A certain person has just gone back freelance and she is a fantastic journalist, however for the others it's clearing a money making racket.

Another young girl always has "big news", and has now gone solo, just a few weeks after getting her new dream job at a certain make-up brand and even a promotion within that brand and being on xpose etc. She has worked for a few different companies over the last year since her popularity has risen and each job she takes its the best make up ever...... etc.

People need to make money, we all do. But false advertising is awful. At 31 years of age I can see through it, but the 15/16 year olds can't.

I was only thinking today that blogger who had the job with inglot was plugging their make up constantly on snapchat and since she's gone solo not one mention of inglot since so far today a company selling meat is being promoted and caris closet no integrity at all

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »

I agree complaints should be made against whoever is doing it and the company involved also I wonder if taxes are being paid on money received from so called sponsorships and product placement everyone else has to pay why not these bloggers ect restaurants and all are being plugged these companies have to advertise the legal way I'm sure it's not allowed to pay people to plug you it's unfair on other businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Could some one private mail me the blogger in question who told another person "how dare you tell me how to do my job" although I could probably guess!!!!!!

dudara wrote: »
    I have deleted previous references to that link, and I do not want it posted again. We are not here to target individuals.

dudara

I didn't know the link targeted anyone in particular I thought it was a general one

RainyDay wrote: »

I agree complaints should be made against whoever is doing it and the company involved also I wonder if taxes are being paid on money received from so called sponsorships and product placement everyone else has to pay why not these bloggers ect restaurants and all are being plugged these companies have to advertise the legal way I'm sure it's not allowed to pay people to plug you it's unfair on other businesses

heyjude88 wrote: »

I was only thinking today that blogger who had the job with inglot was plugging their make up constantly on snapchat and since she's gone solo not one mention of inglot since so far today a company selling meat is being promoted and caris closet no integrity at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Hope these 'full time bloggers' are paying tax on earnings?

Seems like ano easy route for tax avoidance.

I'm sure Revenue will catch onto the buzz soon..nobody escapes them!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Hope these 'full time bloggers' are paying tax on earnings?

Seems like ano easy route for tax avoidance.

I'm sure Revenue will catch onto the buzz soon..nobody escapes them!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Did anyone see Sinead from The Beautiful Truth on snapchat? A bit of a rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

The bloggers that were small a year ago (~10K followers) that I liked, have grown and changed. It is sad to see them go from women like you and me, enjoying make-up and fashion as most women do, to fake bloggers who are getting more and more materialistic and lie to make more money.
    What attracted people to them was their personalities, how they related to real women. Now they are like sales people. It makes me cringe.

I don't know much about the industry in terms of pr, but I do think the more people that realise they aren't genuine, the less trustworthy they will become, and therefore companies won't see the point in using them to endorse. Don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Lately more and more people I speak to are copping onto to the fact they are paid advertisements, or suspect something when the products they recommend are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

lazygal wrote: »
    Did anyone see Sinead from The Beautiful Truth on snapchat? A bit of a rant!

Ya I saw that. Respect to her for setting the record straight on her side. Glad she said the comments here weren't bitchy as well, it's all too easy to accuse comments like these of being bitchy when they absolutely aren't just because you don't agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

anna080 wrote: »
    Ya I saw that. Respect to her for setting the record straight on her side. Glad she said the comments here weren't bitchy as well, it's all too easy to accuse comments like these of being bitchy when they absolutely aren't just because you don't agree with them.

Yeah in fairness she took the comments in the right spirit and as constructive criticism rather than accusing people of being HATERZ!!!!

PLL wrote: »
    The bloggers that were small a year ago (~10K followers) that I liked, have grown and changed. It is sad to see them go from women like you and me, enjoying make-up and fashion as most women do, to fake bloggers who are getting more and more materialistic and lie to make more money.
    What attracted people to them was their personalities, how they related to real women. Now they are like sales people. It makes me cringe.

I don't know much about the industry in terms of pr, but I do think the more people that realise they aren't genuine, the less trustworthy they will become, and therefore companies won't see the point in using them to endorse. Don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Lately more and more people I speak to are copping onto to the fact they are paid advertisements, or suspect something when the products they recommend are crap.
    I was thinking that they started off like us and now they think they are above us selling tickets for €50 to Bridie brunches ect that actually shocked me cashing in on people for no reason since snapchat started their blogs aren't updated half as much .i can definitely see companies not wanting to work with them in the future with all the negativity surrounding them now .. Certain girls are addressing the rumours and saying it's not them being sponsored it's the ones staying silent that look very guilty

anna080 wrote: »
    I've followed sinead for ages she is one of the few honest girls I've seen her say if she didnt like something I'm sure she was one of the small fee who said they didn't like the pippa pallette while all the other girls were going on about how amazing it was and how amazing pippa was after receiving their free palette

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Graceless

Can someone tell me what the "Bridie bunch" is? Have seen it mentioned a few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭FlexiLexi

Graceless wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what the "Bridie bunch" is? Have seen it mentioned a few times!

It was 4 snapchatters that formed a friendship and decided to host a brunch in Dublin which they sold tickets too. Heavily sponsored by Pennys among other brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

I actually don't really seem the problem with the Bridie bunch, they created an event, people bought tickets, they held the event and actually gave out fantastic goodie bags, none of your essence two euro crap or dealz lipgloss. They had several prizes given out over the event as well. And the tickets sold out straight away and that was that no crap about finding more spaces.

None of your "oh we've managed to find another 100 seats so those tickets are on sale now". Funny that.

Now I didn't go to the Bridie bunch but I didn't hear any complaints about it anyone who went seemed to have a good time.

Also only one of the four is a blogger. It was heavily sponsored by Penneys and other brands but sure they were prizes and part of the goody bags?

This is a really interesting read. I'm in my mid 20's and I hate to say I've been sucked into the "have to have it" from watching certain bloggers on snapchat. It really annoys me now to see how naive I was but I'm really glad I found boards and this community because looking at the beauty pages on here I think it seems more honest.

TheBeautTruth is the only person I feel I can rely on for honest opinions and I think the pippa palette was proof of that. Also seeing how much she spent on make up when she was away in America made me realise she writes her blog for the pure love of all things beauty and is willing to spend her own money and write her own reviews be it good or bad.

The blogging scene in Ireland has left me with a hole in my pocket and a load of products gathering dust - lesson learned and the snapchatters unfollowed.

Graceless wrote: »

4 women on snapchat who started off like everyone else then started getting a few extra followers and decided to cash in on it charging €50 for people to have lunch with them they even had one of the husbands who's now made himself snapchat famous host it .. One of the women owns a business to be honest I think that carry on ruined her credibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

4 women on snapchat who started off like everyone else then started getting a few extra followers and decided to cash in on it charging €50 for people to have lunch with them they even had one of the husbands who's now made himself snapchat famous host it .. One of the women owns a business to be honest I think that carry on ruined her credibility

It seems like an honest way to get money IMO

ameliams wrote: »

None of your "oh we've managed to find another 100 seats so those tickets are on sale now". Funny that

Oh that old chestnut! I love how they find more space!!! Giggles!

It seems like an honest way to get money IMO

Honest is when you say your being sponsored or this is an ad one of these women does a lot of the oh I got this you need to have it with the freebies she gets no proper reviews or YouTube videos discussing the product and I know a few who
    Went and from what they were charged it wasn't value for money some of the people who got tickets were up and coming bloggers why not have a normal lunch with them for free passing on there experiences and wisdom in this area from
    What I heard it was extortion €50 a ticket the venue was free because of the advertising the prizes were free for the same reason the host was free as he was a husband it was bad form what they charged

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Honest is when you say your being sponsored or this is an ad one of these women does a lot of the oh I got this you need to have it with the freebies she gets no proper reviews or YouTube videos discussing the product and I know a few who
    Went and from what they were charged it wasn't value for money some of the people who got tickets were up and coming bloggers why not have a normal lunch with them for free passing on there experiences and wisdom in this area from
    What I heard it was extortion €50 a ticket the venue was free because of the advertising the prizes were free for the same reason the host was free as he was a husband it was bad form what they charged

Well with the event itself everyone knows the products are given for free, that's the idea of sponsoring events. And one of the items was a skincare product that cost over 100 euro. Better than what other events have supplied, the only skincare item I've seen being provided is a little of tub of five nip and fab pads.

They mightn't have paid for the venue or the items but there was four of them and how many tickets were sold? What 100? It wasn't a massive venue. They hardly made thousands and thousands each from the one event. And as you said lots of up and coming bloggers went. Seems like a nice community of people joining together. You don't really see too many bloggers going to each other's workshops, afternoon tea whatever's.

Also they are two business owners, two editors a blogger and a mother. Lots of experience and different perspectives there. I think you got a lot more for your money than the standard 75 euro that others are charging. Like I said I didn't go but it didn't seem like they were taking advantage of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I actually totally disagree with you here to be honest, I think you're blurring the lines a bit.

So, a snapchatter gets, oh I don't know lets say a contouring palette from another blogger (!!!) and said blogger says look, do this review, make It a good one, put it in your February Favourites video, feature it on snapchat and I'll send you more stuff and we will be in cahoots about the whole thing. Maybe money would change hands. This is sneaky, this is dishonest, this is deceitful and just wrong and the girls who are doing it shouldn't be allowed to blog anymore.

The Bridie Brunch, while its something I wouldn't attend myself, is totally different. If you CHOOSE to pay that money then that's your own prerogative, I think you're a fool, but whatever. They don't get strictly paid for that beyond ticket sales. Penneys don't pay them, they sponsor them. They are no different from the various Fashion Factory days and Makeup Masterclasses that bloggers hold. They get money from ticket sales but they are clearly sponsored, and by sponsored I mean given free gear to hand out. There's no dishonesty there unless you're an eejit.

These two things are different. That's like saying that going to the Bulmers comedy show is wrong because it is sponsored. Same as buying tickets to any event really.

As a disclaimer, before I get attacked, I am none of the Bridie Bunch, I have not attended nor would I and I have no affiliation to them. I just think they're very different things to compare.

ameliams wrote: »
    Well with the event itself everyone knows the products are given for free, that's the idea of sponsoring events. And one of the items was a skincare product that cost over 100 euro. Better than what other events have supplied, the only skincare item I've seen being provided is a little of tub of five nip and fab pads.

They mightn't have paid for the venue or the items but there was four of them and how many tickets were sold? What 100? It wasn't a massive venue. They hardly made thousands and thousands each from the one event. And as you said lots of up and coming bloggers went. Seems like a nice community of people joining together. You don't really see too many bloggers going to each other's workshops, afternoon tea whatever's.

Also they are two business owners, two editors a blogger and a mother. Lots of experience and different perspectives there. I think you got a lot more for your money than the standard 75 euro that others are charging. Like I said I didn't go but it didn't seem like they were taking advantage of people.

You seem to know a lot about who was running it do you know anyone who went
    I think 75 is very dear for a ticket too but a few that charge that have worked hard to get to where they are put a lot of work into blogs ect .. They didn't decide to cash in after becoming snapchat famous .. I didn't see any of them saying there event was sponsored which brings me to why this whole post started these so called snapchat famous bloggers who get freebies and backhanders for subliminal advertising and product placement when their audiences are mainly young impressionable girls it's so shady all the follower wants is honesty if it's an ad say it if it's sponsored say it if you received free items review them before you swear by the product I know girls who have little business's who invited these bloggers to events to try free treatments or products only to be told it will cost them 300 for a good review or some of them reviewing cars ect actually one of the Bridies reviewed a car she was given a 'loan' of to try out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I wouldn't pay a red cent to attend any of these blogger events but equally I don't see any problem with people who do want to attend. Each to their own and if that's how some people want to spend their money then let them off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement