Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do they get paid?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Someone mentioned that one blogger had to get an 'unfiltered' photo taken down after a fan posted one?
    Whats story with this? Was photo awful or just because she hadnt taken it?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Jbosssie1

anna080 wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay a red cent to attend any of these blogger events but equally I don't see any problem with people who do want to attend. Each to their own and if that's how some people want to spend their money then let them off.

No I wouldn't either and your right each to their own it just annoys me because my nieces are so taken in by these product placements ect wanting to buy stuff that has been shown for 10 seconds on snapchat when it's so clear they are being rewarded for these quick snaps

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Jbosssie1 wrote: »
    You seem to know a lot about who was running it do you know anyone who went
    I think 75 is very dear for a ticket too but a few that charge that have worked hard to get to where they are put a lot of work into blogs ect .. They didn't decide to cash in after becoming snapchat famous .. I didn't see any of them saying there event was sponsored which brings me to why this whole post started these so called snapchat famous bloggers who get freebies and backhanders for subliminal advertising and product placement when their audiences are mainly young impressionable girls it's so shady all the follower wants is honesty if it's an ad say it if it's sponsored say it if you received free items review them before you swear by the product I know girls who have little business's who invited these bloggers to events to try free treatments or products only to be told it will cost them 300 for a good review or some of them reviewing cars ect actually one of the Bridies reviewed a car she was given a 'loan' of to try out

I know someone who went who told me the basics and she was very happy with the day out. But the whole event was also on all of their snapchats and Sharon from behind green eyes, orla from makeup over mind and holly shorttall all went and talked about it.

You could actually watch nearly the whole thing on snapchat someone different people recorded it. And I know about the four because I've watched their snapchats.

Karen runs the blog my lovely girlie bits with her sister.
    Laura is the editor of confetti and runs her own business.
    Ellen runs her own business.
    And aisling is the editor of xpose magazine.
    They all have quite successful careers without snapchat.

And they all, I think, went through all the products they'd been given for the event there was no secret that they hadn't paid for it.
    Plus I think it is the older mid twenty range that follow them rather than teenagers I don't think they have quite the influence other bloggers do over really young girls.
    I do get what you're saying about bloggers and influence and lies etc. but I don't think you claim that event was doing that. It was an event they held because there was the market there to do it.

And no I don't know any of them and I'm not one of them. I don't even particularly like all of them. But holding an event like that isn't ripping people off. People choose to buy tickets for these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Someone mentioned that one blogger had to get an 'unfiltered' photo taken down after a fan posted one?
    Whats story with this? Was photo awful or just because she hadnt taken it?

Was curious about this comment too, whatever it is it sounds awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

It was a photo a fan took of her - i'll repeat that, a fan and she looked completely different to the photo she posted about 30mins prior to it. She looked about a stone heavier and had bags under her eyes. A lot of people asked what the deal was and then there was some BS excuse about being on her period and being stressed and people bullying her. She blocked the fan who had travelled to see her to get her book signed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The events are no different to Expose live or similar. I went to Expose a few years ago with my mother and sister and it was rubbish. However, it was our choice to go and it was a lesson learned, this type of thing is not for us. Running an event is not the same as contantly referring to a product or service without stating clearly that you are being paid by a brand to promote said product or service.

ameliams wrote: »
    I know someone who went who told me the basics and she was very happy with the day out. But the whole event was also on all of their snapchats and Sharon from behind green eyes, orla from makeup over mind and holly shorttall all went and talked about it.

You could actually watch nearly the whole thing on snapchat someone different people recorded it. And I know about the four because I've watched their snapchats.

Karen runs the blog my lovely girlie bits with her sister.
    Laura is the editor of confetti and runs her own business.
    Ellen runs her own business.
    And aisling is the editor of xpose magazine.
    They all have quite successful careers without snapchat.

And they all, I think, went through all the products they'd been given for the event there was no secret that they hadn't paid for it.
    Plus I think it is the older mid twenty range that follow them rather than teenagers I don't think they have quite the influence other bloggers do over really young girls.
    I do get what you're saying about bloggers and influence and lies etc. but I don't think you claim that event was doing that. It was an event they held because there was the market there to do it.

And no I don't know any of them and I'm not one of them. I don't even particularly like all of them. But holding an event like that isn't ripping people off. People choose to buy tickets for these things.
    the girls I know who went said it wasn't worth the money I do know of all the girls your talking about one in particular I follow years since she started with her sister she was actually one of my favourites
    I also know a couple of snapchat bloggers in person (I've been in the industry of beauty for years ) so maybe the inside information I have from girls who have dealt with a few of these bloggers or sent them stuff to review or invited them to events have made me sceptical
    In my opinion some of these events are cashing in ...no problem at all
    About holding the events it's the high price of the tickets in my opinion is wrong especially if you do carry on with the whole product placement advertising on your snapchat just makes some of them untrustworthy to me when you make money by not being transparent about freebies you don't review but recommend and receive backhanders or ask for money in return for a good review it discredits the person and actually makes me have doubts about their authenticity when holding these events is it being done for the enjoyment and make a few extra euro (which is a great idea) or is it just another extension of cashing in
    And I know a lot of younger girls that follow at least 3 of them women

aine92 wrote: »
    I actually totally disagree with you here to be honest, I think you're blurring the lines a bit.

So, a snapchatter gets, oh I don't know lets say a contouring palette from another blogger (!!!) and said blogger says look, do this review, make It a good one, put it in your February Favourites video, feature it on snapchat and I'll send you more stuff and we will be in cahoots about the whole thing. Maybe money would change hands. This is sneaky, this is dishonest, this is deceitful and just wrong and the girls who are doing it shouldn't be allowed to blog anymore.

The Bridie Brunch, while its something I wouldn't attend myself, is totally different. If you CHOOSE to pay that money then that's your own prerogative, I think you're a fool, but whatever. They don't get strictly paid for that beyond ticket sales. Penneys don't pay them, they sponsor them. They are no different from the various Fashion Factory days and Makeup Masterclasses that bloggers hold. They get money from ticket sales but they are clearly sponsored, and by sponsored I mean given free gear to hand out. There's no dishonesty there unless you're an eejit.

These two things are different. That's like saying that going to the Bulmers comedy show is wrong because it is sponsored. Same as buying tickets to any event really.

As a disclaimer, before I get attacked, I am none of the Bridie Bunch, I have not attended nor would I and I have no affiliation to them. I just think they're very different things to compare.
    My main issue is when a particular person or persons are guilty of that dishonesty your talking about goes on to hold one of these events then it makes me feel like this is another way to cash and not oh I love doing this lets Have an event sell
    A few tickets because it will be great to meet people who follow us and make a few euro at the same time when your being dishonest on your blog and snapchat it makes people doubt your integrity going forward I actually can't say too much about what I know or names ect as the post will be deleted anyway nothing wrong with a difference of opinion makes the world go around

Taboola wrote: »
    It was a photo a fan took of her - i'll repeat that, a fan and she looked completely different to the photo she posted about 30mins prior to it. She looked about a stone heavier and had bags under her eyes. A lot of people asked what the deal was and then there was some BS excuse about being on her period and being stressed and people bullying her. She blocked the fan who had travelled to see her to get her book signed.
    Can't believe that the poor girl who went to
    See her

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Jesus, that sounds like an overreaction. Everyone looks better in well angled selfies etc...just own it. A certain blogger has been doing features on Xpose a lot recently and I honestly hardly recognised her on it compared to her own images on social media. Good looking girl so better off uploading realistic images in the long run.

Is it just me or does there seem to be an oversaturation of full time bloggers who have made it their career in Ireland? It's a small place and it's beyond tedious looking at the same pallette or serum that they all have received on the same day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

One of my friends told me recently she got the shock of her life when she saw one of the 'stylists' presenting something on Expose, it was an old work colleague she hadn't seen in years. This woman has a very small time blog, I hadn't heard of her at all, and certainly doesn't seem to have a lot of expertise in the field of style and fashion, and yet here she was, presenting the latest looks and advising us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭FlexiLexi

Jesus wept!!!!! That is unbelievable that she blocked her, that girl probably put €20 in her pocket that night by buying her book too!!! I vaguely remember said blogger saying the lighting was poor and I do remember the rant that followed on her snapchat about body shaming. To be honest if she didn't feel the need to edit her photos then this sort of thing wouldn't be such a big deal. You can hardly write a chapter in your book on body confidence and then have this sort of fiasco!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

lazygal wrote: »
    Did anyone see Sinead from The Beautiful Truth on snapchat? A bit of a rant!

Has she taken it down or did I just miss it?

I was actually told about this thread/story by a blogger friend. I have no problem with bloggers being paid as long as they are upfront about it. Free things I'm looser about as I've gotten cynical enough to presume that most things have been gifted to the bloggers. I just don't know why bloggers won't be honest. I can't really see it hurting them that much overall. All I'd like to know is opinions (even if they might be a bit coloured) and how the bloggers use the products.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Clairebyreverie

​Hi everyone. I thought I would jump in on this discussion as no other bloggers have.

I think your discussion is fair, there is very little bitchiness (some though, perhaps not maliciously though), but I do think there is a bit of misunderstanding.

One person mentioned that it might possibly be illegal for brands to pay people to promote their product - it's not, otherwise Kim Kardashian et al wouldn't be doing exactly the same thing. It is illegal to promote products that you are being paid for without stating that it's sponsored (it's a product placement).

Now. The real reason I'm leaving this longwinded comment. One remark from amesliam (sorry if the spelling is wrong), to the effect that the entire blogging community is shameful, this is a sentiment that rings through most of the comments here. Personally I found that really upsetting; not just because I'm a blogger but because I read so many blogs that don't do this cr**.

The fact is; bloggers are allowed, and should if they want to, make money from their blog, it's no one's place to say they can't. The only issue is the few bloggers that don't disclose information. Some people understand that it's ok and completely honest to make money from your blog, others just don't seem to like when people get products or services to try out, as any journalist does, in the hope that they will write a review. There are bloggers out there who earn enough to maintain a pretty enviable lifestyle, there are others that earn enough to maybe get a holiday out of it, others that earn enough for a bag of chips after the pub, and others, like me, who earn nothing from it but still work damn hard at creating good content.

Yes there are some bloggers that don't disclose the fact they are being paid to promote or product. There are absolutely no more that 5 or 6 that do this in Ireland; I would be very surprised to learn that there are more than that. It's sad to see that all bloggers are being written off in this thread as being 'shameful' when it is genuinely the smallest percentage of Irish bloggers imaginable that commit the offence being discussed. I don't read the blogs of these people (you know who most of them are, I'm sure), they are the most popular bloggers in Ireland but they are very 'samey' and what they post on social media just bores me to tears if I'm honest. It's just not my cup of tea; add the fact that they are plugging brands to young people without mentioning that it's an advertisement makes me a little bit angry that the likes of Stellar Magazine are all over them.

I don't read their blogs, yet I read a tonne of other Irish blogs. If you enjoy reading social commentary, beauty reviews etc there are plenty of other wonderful bloggers out there; some of them are paid by brands, but are transparent about it, most of them would get the odd PR product but they will mention it on their posts. All of them are 100% in love with blogging, passionate about what they write about and, in my opinion, far better writers than the top say 3 or 4 bloggers in the country. The Beautiful Truth has already been mentioned, there is lilliwhite rose, where is my mind?, Behind Green Eyes, Squidgymoments, Sophisti-kat, Total Make Up Addict, The Life and Style of Jen, ItsallG; the list is endless! All of these bloggers are very passionate about the topics they write about and will not inundate your feed with blatant advertising; it they ever do, they will SAY that it's an advertisement.

PLEASE don't lump all of us on to the same pile. There are still plenty of us who blog with integrity, and with love. My suggestion is that if you are fed up feeling ripped off by certain bloggers or if there is an element of mistrust, forget about them; unfollow them if they no longer interest you and seek out these bloggers who will hopefully restore your faith in the Irish blogging community.

​Hi everyone. I thought I would jump in on this discussion as no other bloggers have as far as I know.

I think your discussion is fair, there is very little bitchiness (some though, perhaps not maliciously though), but I do think there is a bit of misunderstanding.

One person mentioned that it might possibly be illegal for brands to pay people to promote their product - it's not, otherwise Kim Kardashian et al wouldn't be doing exactly the same thing. It is illegal to promote products that you are being paid for without stating that it's sponsored (it's a product placement).

Now. The real reason I'm leaving this longwinded comment. One remark from amesliam (sorry if the spelling is wrong), to the effect that the entire blogging community is shameful, this is a sentiment that rings through most of the comments here. Personally I found that really upsetting; not just because I'm a blogger but because I read so many blogs that don't do this cr**.

The fact is; bloggers are allowed, and should if they want to, make money from their blog, it's no one's place to say they can't. The only issue is the few bloggers that don't disclose information. Some people understand that it's ok and completely honest to make money from your blog, others just don't seem to like when people get products or services to try out, as any journalist does, in the hope that they will write a review. There are bloggers out there who earn enough to maintain a pretty enviable lifestyle, there are others that earn enough to maybe get a holiday out of it, others that earn enough for a bag of chips after the pub, and others, like me, who earn nothing from it but still work damn hard at creating good content.

Yes there are some bloggers that don't disclose the fact they are being paid to promote or product. There are absolutely no more that 5 or 6 that do this in Ireland; I would be very surprised to learn that there are more than that. It's sad to see that all bloggers are being written off in this thread as being 'shameful' when it is genuinely the smallest percentage of Irish bloggers imaginable that commit the offence being discussed. I don't read the blogs of these people (you know who most of them are, I'm sure), they are the most popular bloggers in Ireland but they are very 'samey' and what they post on social media just bores me to tears if I'm honest. It's just not my cup of tea; add the fact that they are plugging brands to young people without mentioning that it's an advertisement makes me a little bit angry that the likes of Stellar Magazine are all over them.

I don't read their blogs, yet I read a tonne of other Irish blogs. If you enjoy reading social commentary, beauty reviews etc there are plenty of other wonderful bloggers out there; some of them are paid by brands, but are transparent about it, most of them would get the odd PR product but they will mention it on their posts. All of them are 100% in love with blogging, passionate about what they write about and, in my opinion, far better writers than the top say 3 or 4 bloggers in the country. The Beautiful Truth has already been mentioned, there is lilliwhite rose, where is my mind?, Behind Green Eyes, Squidgymoments, Sophisti-kat, Total Make Up Addict, The Life and Style of Jen, ItsallG; the list is endless! All of these bloggers are very passionate about the topics they write about and will not inundate your feed with blatant advertising; it they ever do, they will SAY that it's an advertisement.

PLEASE don't lump all of us on to the same pile. There are still plenty of us who blog with integrity, and with love. My suggestion is that if you are fed up feeling ripped off by certain bloggers or if there is an element of mistrust, forget about them; unfollow them if they no longer interest you and seek out these bloggers who will hopefully restore your faith in the Irish blogging community.

​Hi everyone. I thought I would jump in on this discussion as no other bloggers have.

Hi me who said it was shameful. It is unfair of me to lump it altogether like that. It's just tiring really and upsetting to see comments like the one that came up yesterday from a blogger to a reader. To see a grown woman respond to a follower who had provided criticism in that manner is frankly disgusting.
    Yes we should pay more attention to the lesser ones who don't do such things but it's quite hard to even consider any respect for blogging when the people at the top have no right to be there.

I've seen horrible comments like that one made, over reactions, fights on Instagram posts, rants etc. and these are the women that are making money from this. Selling books, products, events etc.
    So you can imagine that while we can just follow the ones we respect its still the bigger ones who are raking in the money despite their behaviour.

Blogs like the ones you've mentioned they are great blogs and lovely women, but like the beaut truth has said, she doesn't make money at all from blogging.
    And most of the others don't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 HeyTherePlease

I am thrilled this is coming to light - I'd also like to know the value on what they get gifted each year because once it hits the €3000 threshold, they will be liable for Capital Acquisitions Tax of 33% on the value of the goods. No one is above paying tax and it is certainly not on the rest of us who work full time to carry these 'professional bloggers'. I hope there will be spotlight on this issue and they will be accountable - evading tax may put their assets at risk & CAB may become involved. I know this is the extreme but things are getting out of hand and there seems to be far much cash floating under the table

I'm actually a big follower of blogs I follow all that you mention and they are very genuine which is what is so annoying that the bloggers that are being deceitful and ruining all the genuine girls reputations the girls you mention among others have been blogging for years and are getting over looked by girls who started in the last year or so who are getting put up for goss.ie and stellar awards and guest slots on xpose due to that constant plugging
    No one would begrudge any of you girls a freebie its all part and parcel it's the girls that take it too far that plug everything from a face cream
    They used once restaurants laser treatments braces companies that deliver meat to them one even promoted marvin.ie a few times after they received a voucher off them all which is done in 10 second snaps no reviews or follow ups of the creams they promoted ect and then When asked if its sponsored respond in a horrible manner it's actually very telling who's genuine and who's not the girls on snapchat since last night are telling their followers they don't get paid take backhanders or charge for good reviews and the ones who are completely ignoring the issue look guilty it's you girls that deserve the recognition and respect and deserve to earn money as your transparent no one minds that at all it's the secrecy and deceit that followers Won't tolerate anymore .. Best of luck with your blog Hun

I am thrilled this is coming to light - I'd also like to know the value on what they get gifted each year because once it hits the €3000 threshold, they will be liable for Capital Acquisitions Tax of 33% on the value of the goods. No one is above paying tax and it is certainly not on the rest of us who work full time to carry these 'professional bloggers'. I hope there will be spotlight on this issue and they will be accountable - evading tax may put their assets at risk & CAB may become involved. I know this is the extreme but things are getting out of hand and there seems to be far much cash floating under the table
    Exactly why are we paying taxes while these full time career bloggers are taking backhanders charging for reviews and it's all cash in hand if a company especially a small one offers you free treatments for a review by all means do it make sure it's honest but charging for a good review is disgusting give these small businesses a hand to move forward but do it with honesty don't throw a snap up of where your getting your nails done unless you wait a couple of weeks talk about how long they lasted ect some of these places are giving money for them
    Quick snaps shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

It's 3000e from one person meaning that each company can gift them up to that amount each year, unless I'm reading it wrong

• Advertisement

I'm actually a big follower of blogs I follow all that you mention and they are very genuine which is what is so annoying that the bloggers that are being deceitful and ruining all the genuine girls reputations the girls you mention among others have been blogging for years and are getting over looked by girls who started in the last year or so who are getting put up for goss.ie and stellar awards and guest slots on xpose due to that constant plugging
    No one would begrudge any of you girls a freebie its all part and parcel it's the girls that take it too far that plug everything from a face cream
    They used once restaurants laser treatments braces companies that deliver meat to them one even promoted marvin.ie a few times after they received a voucher off them all which is done in 10 second snaps no reviews or follow ups of the creams they promoted ect and then When asked if its sponsored respond in a horrible manner it's actually very telling who's genuine and who's not the girls on snapchat since last night are telling their followers they don't get paid take backhanders or charge for good reviews and the ones who are completely ignoring the issue look guilty it's you girls that deserve the recognition and respect and deserve to earn money as your transparent no one minds that at all it's the secrecy and deceit that followers Won't tolerate anymore .. Best of luck with your blog Hun

Thank you! It just wouldn't be in me, or most people I know, to be dishonest like that, there are always a few bad apples, I just hope that there are more people like you don't think that the entire community is like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Clairebyreverie - your post hits the nail on the head. There are a few big famous bloggers in Ireland and it is their antics which give other bloggers a bad name. I follow many of those you mentioned in your post and I love reading blogs where there is as much personality in the posts, off the top of my head: The Makeup Monster and The Beautiful Truth and (Dramatic Mac on youtube) have such great ways of writing and such fantastic personalities and passion coming across in theirs posts that they truly are a joy to read and the girls make the time to write/video them as well as work.

However contrast that to the famous blogger posts - their posts are less frequent, read more like a press release and have little or no personality coming across in them.

I think in light of the past few days, between the momentum of this thread and postings on facebook, "normal" beauty bloggers (ie one's who don't blog for a living) should be making a collective stand against this tarring all with the same brush. I hope honesty and integrity wins out....

Thank you! It just wouldn't be in me, or most people I know, to be dishonest like that, there are always a few bad apples, I just hope that there are more people like you don't think that the entire community is like this!

No most people know exactly who it is and unfortunately they seem to have risen to the top very quickly and also seem to have the younger more impressionable girls following them which makes it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭FlexiLexi

I certainly would trust the opinions of the bloggers you mentioned before the top girls who are taking backhanders, it's just a case of not everyone will know enough about other bloggers and just see the girls who are always in the media and take their word for it because of how well known they are - I speak as someone who thought she had to have certain palettes and foundations when in actual fact they're gathering dust and the bloggers haven't mentioned them in ages! As I've already said - lesson learned!! Big fan of cherry sue and behind green eyes blogs - v honest and transparent the way it should have always been!

ameliams wrote: »
    Hi me who said it was shameful. It is unfair of me to lump it altogether like that. It's just tiring really and upsetting to see comments like the one that came up yesterday from a blogger to a reader. To see a grown woman respond to a follower who had provided criticism in that manner is frankly disgusting.
    Yes we should pay more attention to the lesser ones who don't do such things but it's quite hard to even consider any respect for blogging when the people at the top have no right to be there.

I've seen horrible comments like that one made, over reactions, fights on Instagram posts, rants etc. and these are the women that are making money from this. Selling books, products, events etc.
    So you can imagine that while we can just follow the ones we respect its still the bigger ones who are raking in the money despite their behaviour.

Blogs like the ones you've mentioned they are great blogs and lovely women, but like the beaut truth has said, she doesn't make money at all from blogging.
    And most of the others don't either.

I wasn't have a go at you BTW it was just the "entire scene" got me and I felt the need to clear it up haha. It is upsetting as a reader and a blogger to see nasty comments. I've had friends who were treated poorly too in similar ways. Always a bad apple somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ok it might be just me but how many palettes or foundations and serums, creams or whatever are actually needed? Bloggers can't be the only ones blamed for people's impulsive shopping when they are bored. Also all make up is subjective an even a honest recommendations could be completely wrong for a different skin type/tone or whatever. The same goes for clothing. If someone buys half of Penny's badly made and fitting stuff it isn't just because blogger made them do it. There is something called personal responsibility. And I would expect certain amount of it even among 15 year-olds. Although blowing money on make up and not being able to afford cigarettes might not be a bad thing.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Ok it might be just me but how many palettes or foundations and serums, creams or whatever are actually needed? Bloggers can't be the only ones blamed for people's impulsive shopping when they are bored. Also all make up is subjective an even a honest recommendations could be completely wrong for a different skin type/tone or whatever. The same goes for clothing. If someone buys half of Penny's badly made and fitting stuff it isn't just because blogger made them do it. There is something called personal responsibility. And I would expect certain amount of it even among 15 year-olds. Although blowing money on make up and not being able to afford cigarettes might not be a bad thing.

No one is blaming bloggers on whether it worked for them didn't work for me the problem is a small minority show 10 second videos of a product saying it's great without proper use or review one girl earlier this week had a brand new cream used it once the night before and raved how great her skin felt that it was amazing that's irresponsible a lot of people listen to their opinions and take their advice if she had said I'm trying this cream so far so good I will get back to you with an indeph review in a few weeks then that would be fine but it's the backhanders this girl and the others take for just putting it on a 10 second video without saying this is a sponsored post ect there are new regulations coming in about this not only that the small minority are ruining the reputation of girls who are honest and transparent who work
    Hard on the blogs while they cash in from what I hear some people have proof of them
    Girls asking for money for a good review ect and they will be posting it online soon I hope they do expose them

I wasn't have a go at you BTW it was just the "entire scene" got me and I felt the need to clear it up haha. It is upsetting as a reader and a blogger to see nasty comments. I've had friends who were treated poorly too in similar ways. Always a bad apple somewhere!

Oh no I didn't think you were. Like I said in the original post it's the minority ruining it for the majority unfortunately.

You can understand why people feel the need to group everyone into one when it's the crappy behaviour that comes from the top.

I never have any problem with people making money from they love if they do it well and honestly. And I would love to see some of the lesser known blogs grow because there is one in particular I think is very well written and does some great negative reviews on items which can very well work much better than positive reviews. It's just all very disheartening to see the only negativity from certain people be towards their followers. They won't bash a brand but they'll bash a follower.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

No one is blaming bloggers on whether it worked for them didn't work for me the problem is a small minority show 10 second videos of a product saying it's great without proper use or review one girl earlier this week had a brand new cream used it once the night before and raved how great her skin felt that it was amazing that's irresponsible a lot of people listen to their opinions and take their advice if she had said I'm trying this cream so far so good I will get back to you with an indeph review in a few weeks then that would be fine but it's the backhanders this girl and the others take for just putting it on a 10 second video without saying this is a sponsored post ect there are new regulations coming in about this not only that the small minority are ruining the reputation of girls who are honest and transparent who work
    Hard on the blogs while they cash in from what I hear some people have proof of them
    Girls asking for money for a good review ect and they will be posting it online soon I hope they do expose them
    I have no doubt there are dishonest practices around and the enforcement of the rules that are already exist would be welcome. It's not like new regulations were created to deal with this, they are just saying they will enforce them for bloggers. But those regulations still don't mean that they have to declare they got product for free, they only have to disclose when they are paid to do something. And considering some of those products are fairly expensive they can be good initiative for positive reviews in order they keep getting more samples.

So all in all it will be still impossible to trust random reviews without getting a bit more critical or familiar with the reviewer. The whole beauty blogging seems to be a bit of a craze at the moment and there is no quality control. Frankly I would think almost no blogger has enough scientific knowledge (chemistry, biology) and information to review any cream for anti-aging or some other effects. I agree that someone using a cream for a month is approaching things more honestly and professionally but their review is just as useless. It's a bit less important with make up because the surface, simpler products are being reviewed.

I can't bring myself to follow any bloggers, I look for reviews when I need them. Sometimes I check the entries in Irish Times but at the same time I don't understand hostility towards those girls (it is mostly girls). If people wouldn't get so invested into the blogger's recommendations and supposed lifestyle there would be less vitriol and few less bloggers would be popular enough to sell rubbish. I think a bit more critical distance and a bit less nastiness is needed more than enforcement of any standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 JaneEyresque

I don't normally post here just mostly observe but one thing I find funny is how it's just bloggers getting a hard time for non declaration of payment or free product. Are people completely oblivious to the blatant advertising of a hotel a certain soon to be ex magazine editor about to turn freelancer has been doing on snapchat the last 24hours? Where was her declaration she stayed in the hotel for free? Or did you all buy that she posted and posted and posted about all the great features (including a fireplace) and the posting of a chess board saying she wants one even though she doesn't play. But of course had to say the name of the hotel at every opportunity. She has mentioned this hotel on all her social channels, where was the declaration of her free stay there? Everyone is getting caught up on the blogger hate that their blinded by the 'snapchat Stars' that are the ACTUAL ones getting paid for their posts, they're just more discreet about it because people assume just because they're non bloggers that everything they post doesn't have an ulterior motive. Personally I follow very few bloggers and I'm looking forward to the regulations that come in to be used, I see some bloggers do declare on their posts to be fair & they do always mention if they got something for free. I don't believe in reviews after one use or being rude to followers, that was uncalled for. Xpose and those that feature on it get paid to feature products and no question about it, someone on snapchat just because they're rude and 'honest' about certain things can fly under the radar when it comes to paid endorsements yet makes no declaration, and then guys that are 'funny' on snapchat also fly under the radar when they show products that are 'amazing'. Open your eyes to the online influencers and not just the full time bloggers (who yes some have lost the run of themselves particularly one that shot to success this year & has done some less than tasteful things) but by a certain soon to be freelancer that brought light to this post did so because she has been seen in a positive light here when realistically she is the one that will rake in all the paid endorsements once she poisons everyone's minds against bloggers because it shines the light away from her. I'm genuinely surprised no one has pointed this out in this post, clearly she's very clever. At least with bloggers you know they more than likely at least got free product & they have a website where they can post a declaration / disclaimer. These non bloggers / journalists / online influencers don't, and seems to have everyone here fooled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement