Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do they get paid?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

How do you know she stayed there for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

People aren't blind or stupid but they're also not going to comment on someone who is guaranteed to read it either, regardless of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭onthemitch

I don't normally post here just mostly observe but one thing I find funny is how it's just bloggers getting a hard time for non declaration of payment or free product. Are people completely oblivious to the blatant advertising of a hotel a certain soon to be ex magazine editor about to turn freelancer has been doing on snapchat the last 24hours? Where was her declaration she stayed in the hotel for free? Or did you all buy that she posted and posted and posted about all the great features (including a fireplace) and the posting of a chess board saying she wants one even though she doesn't play. But of course had to say the name of the hotel at every opportunity. She has mentioned this hotel on all her social channels, where was the declaration of her free stay there? Everyone is getting caught up on the blogger hate that their blinded by the 'snapchat Stars' that are the ACTUAL ones getting paid for their posts, they're just more discreet about it because people assume just because they're non bloggers that everything they post doesn't have an ulterior motive. Personally I follow very few bloggers and I'm looking forward to the regulations that come in to be used, I see some bloggers do declare on their posts to be fair & they do always mention if they got something for free. I don't believe in reviews after one use or being rude to followers, that was uncalled for. Xpose and those that feature on it get paid to feature products and no question about it, someone on snapchat just because they're rude and 'honest' about certain things can fly under the radar when it comes to paid endorsements yet makes no declaration, and then guys that are 'funny' on snapchat also fly under the radar when they show products that are 'amazing'. Open your eyes to the online influencers and not just the full time bloggers (who yes some have lost the run of themselves particularly one that shot to success this year & has done some less than tasteful things) but by a certain soon to be freelancer that brought light to this post did so because she has been seen in a positive light here when realistically she is the one that will rake in all the paid endorsements once she poisons everyone's minds against bloggers because it shines the light away from her. I'm genuinely surprised no one has pointed this out in this post, clearly she's very clever. At least with bloggers you know they more than likely at least got free product & they have a website where they can post a declaration / disclaimer. These non bloggers / journalists / online influencers don't, and seems to have everyone here fooled.

Hallo! This is Rosemary, with a random username – I'm not really sure why / when I decided on this one, but it seems as if it's impossible to change, so there you go.

You got one thing right – I did stay in the Kingsley for free. I was giving a talk on mental health in UCC as part of UCC Fashion Week, and the Fashion Society offered to put me up. But I told them I'd approach a PR I had a good relationship with instead, so they could save their money; as hotels aren't always busy midweek, they'll sometimes give you a room in the hopes of getting some publicity from it.

So the start of your post is spot on. That being said, if the hotel had been awful, I wouldn't have posted anything from it – and I do want the chess set! Because I'm pretentious, not because I play chess.

I don't have anything to hide, and I'm not ashamed of anything I receive for free, anything I've ever been paid for, or anything that I've paid for!

I snap loads of things throughout my day – restaurants I go to, weekends away, things I buy, holidays, almost all of which are paid for by me (unfortunately). I'm not under any obligation to disclose, mind you, what I do and don't pay for; that's not what the ASAI guidelines say and, in any case, things would get boring pretty quickly.

However, if I had been being paid for something, I would say that – as I tried to when I did a job for Oasis a few months back, and I mentioned a couple of times that I was "working with Oasis on this project". In future I think I'd try to be even more explicit, because that wasn't all that clear I don't think – although I don't know when / if it will even come up. I'm a journalist; I get paid to write, not to extoll the virtues of something on Snapchat.

As for the insinuation that I'm trying to poison people against bloggers so I can take their lucrative endorsement deals? That's just laughable!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JaneEyresque

Taboola wrote: »
    How do you know she stayed there for free?

I made the assumption based on the mass amount of out of character comments and positive thoughts repeated over and over again and on many social platforms for the hotel. That came out of nowhere, which is the manner in which I and others assume the same when a blogger does it.

Same way someone mentioned that when A blogger posts one snap of her meal and one snap of a menu that she was paid or got the food for free. She probably did get it for free, but I don't see why peoole seem to be oblivious to all these online influencers and focus their negative attention on bloggers. I actually follow a business owner on snapchat and she had one of her staff members say on her snaps last week that '2016 is not year of the blogger it's year of the digital influencer'

This soon to be freelancer knows this is the case too so has no issue with endorsing negative attention towards bloggers knowing it makes her look better & a more worthy candidate to a paid endorsement that won't be declared.

As mentioned I follow very few bloggers now most of them are the smaller ones but I think it needed to be highlighted here too that it's not just bloggers that need the spotlight on them, & I hope the regulations come soon for them all. Unfortunately I suspect not. I follow bloggers that I know I would trust wheter they were paid for the promotion or not, providing it's been declared.

But Rosemary, youre whole point is that people are getting things for free and not disclosing them. I didn't see you disclose it once that you stayed their for free. Surely people had a right to know. Especially when everyone here is giving out mainly the fact bloggers get stuff for free and don't disclose. Pot, Kettle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I don't normally post here just mostly observe but one thing I find funny is how it's just bloggers getting a hard time for non declaration of payment or free product. Are people completely oblivious to the blatant advertising of a hotel a certain soon to be ex magazine editor about to turn freelancer has been doing on snapchat the last 24hours? Where was her declaration she stayed in the hotel for free? Or did you all buy that she posted and posted and posted about all the great features (including a fireplace) and the posting of a chess board saying she wants one even though she doesn't play. But of course had to say the name of the hotel at every opportunity. She has mentioned this hotel on all her social channels, where was the declaration of her free stay there? Everyone is getting caught up on the blogger hate that their blinded by the 'snapchat Stars' that are the ACTUAL ones getting paid for their posts, they're just more discreet about it because people assume just because they're non bloggers that everything they post doesn't have an ulterior motive. Personally I follow very few bloggers and I'm looking forward to the regulations that come in to be used, I see some bloggers do declare on their posts to be fair & they do always mention if they got something for free. I don't believe in reviews after one use or being rude to followers, that was uncalled for. Xpose and those that feature on it get paid to feature products and no question about it, someone on snapchat just because they're rude and 'honest' about certain things can fly under the radar when it comes to paid endorsements yet makes no declaration, and then guys that are 'funny' on snapchat also fly under the radar when they show products that are 'amazing'. Open your eyes to the online influencers and not just the full time bloggers (who yes some have lost the run of themselves particularly one that shot to success this year & has done some less than tasteful things) but by a certain soon to be freelancer that brought light to this post did so because she has been seen in a positive light here when realistically she is the one that will rake in all the paid endorsements once she poisons everyone's minds against bloggers because it shines the light away from her. I'm genuinely surprised no one has pointed this out in this post, clearly she's very clever. At least with bloggers you know they more than likely at least got free product & they have a website where they can post a declaration / disclaimer. These non bloggers / journalists / online influencers don't, and seems to have everyone here fooled.

Unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭onthemitch

But Rosemary, youre whole point is that people are getting things for free and not disclosing them. I didn't see you disclose it once that you stayed their for free. Surely people had a right to know. Especially when everyone here is giving out mainly the fact bloggers get stuff for free and don't disclose. Pot, Kettle.

I'm not sure what you mean by my "whole point" – I haven't been involved in this thread until now (although clearly mad lurky), and when I spoke on Snapchat about it I was highlighting the fact that money is exchanging hands – people are paid to endorse products on Snapchat, often into four figures – and that this should be fully disclosed to viewers. I couldn't give a toss whether or not people are disclosing their freebies tbh – although I do wish they'd stop opening them up on camera, because I think it's vulgar.

Actually I think, maybe I'm wrong, people don't really care about free stuff. It's direct payment to say something specific about product/service/goods etc.
    Now that Rosemary has responded I can assume that's who you were talking about but I wasn't sure.
    But I don't really think people have an issue with freebies, they come with certain jobs, mine certainly does. You can't pay rent with a night in a hotel though.

I 100% agree they should declare when they're receiving any funds, 4 figures or even less, but if you read this post people also have issue with getting free hotel stays, free food in restaurants, free laser hair removal and free products, not just money exchange. And are painting you and a few others in a positive light because you 'don't get stuff for free' when you all very much so do.

They want people to declare all, not just payment. And you amongst others can get away with not declaring anything because the spotlight isn't on you its on them.

Anyways this wasn't a targeted post at you, but all 'online influencers' that seem to be getting away Scott free from all this negative attention.

I 100% agree they should declare when they're receiving any funds, 4 figures or even less, but if you read this post people also have issue with getting free hotel stays, free food in restaurants, free laser hair removal and free products, not just money exchange. And are painting you and a few others in a positive light because you 'don't get stuff for free' when you all very much so do.

They want people to declare all, not just payment. And you amongst others can get away with not declaring anything because the spotlight isn't on you its on them.

Anyways this wasn't a targeted post at you, but all 'online influencers' that seem to be getting away Scott free from all this negative attention.

If you think the "higher ups" are promoting laser treatment because they are getting it for free you are sadly mistaken. They are paid to promote it. I think there's a huge difference between getting things for free and getting paid to say you like something. I think that's what get most peoples backs up. Getting things for free are the perks of some jobs but getting paid to get laser hair removal, clear braces, and a buggy and then declaring your love for them is deceiving.

• Advertisement

ameliams wrote: »
    Actually I think, maybe I'm wrong, people don't really care about free stuff. It's direct payment to say something specific about product/service/goods etc.
    Now that Rosemary has responded I can assume that's who you were talking about but I wasn't sure.
    But I don't really think people have an issue with freebies, they come with certain jobs, mine certainly does. You can't pay rent with a night in a hotel though.

Well that's a convenient turn around of opinion, there's very few bloggers that I can see making any money from blogging so really then this whole thread is about a handful of full time bloggers and not the smaller/part time bloggers that only seem to get a free lipstick or something. Yet they all seem to be getting a bad name.

My point of this post is to highlight that it's not just these handful of Full time bloggers that get paid to endorse, there's plenty more that don't have a blog. And some that get plenty more for free than just a lipstick!

If you think the "higher ups" are promoting laser treatment because they are getting it for free you are sadly mistaken. They are paid to promote it. I think there's a huge difference between getting things for free and getting paid to say you like something.

How do you know they are getting paid? Isn't the treatment worth around €1k? I know for a fact at least one of them is certainly not getting any payment. I believe they are getting a treatment worth a pretty penny for a few mentions from each. Which has been pretty affective to be fair because it's all anyone is going on about!

How do you know they are getting paid? Isn't the treatment worth around €1k? I know for a fact at least one of them is certainly not getting any payment. I believe they are getting a treatment worth a pretty penny for a few mentions from each. Which has been pretty affective to be fair because it's all anyone is going on about!

You know for a fact one of them isn't getting paid? Well they are being screwed over because I know for a fact one of them got a fairly high payout for getting something done to their teeth.

I've a feeling you could be one of these bloggers. It's very odd that you'd join up just to bash Rosemary. Maybe you're the blogger that this thing blew up over.

You know for a fact one of them isn't getting paid? Well they are being screwed over because I know for a fact one of them got a fairly high payout for getting something done to their teeth.

How is laser hair removal the same as a payout for teeth? I was nosey and asked one of the bloggers on snapchat about the hair removal and she told me that she was getting free treatment for a set amount of mentions and that's it. I can't comment on whoever is being paid for the teeth thing as I didn't ask.

I don't believe in anyone endorsing something for payment if they wouldn't endorse it for free otherwise, be issue that's decieving. But do what I do and unfollow those you believe to be like that, why follow someone you don't trust? I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Actually if you read the guidelines she doesn't need to disclose freebies, at least I understand that nondisclosure of free samples extends to services.

Anyway I am pretty sure anyone with three brain cells understands that journalists do get stuff for free, either to keep or to test. Travel journalism would be otherwise unsustainable for example. And are you suggesting that motor journalists should buy a car to test.

That being said I don't know what makes a fashion journo an expert on hotels.

I've a feeling you could be one of these bloggers. It's very odd that you'd join up just to bash Rosemary. Maybe you're the blogger that this thing blew up over.

Just because I post an independent comment on both bloggers and online influencers (where I actually negatively posted about a few bloggers without naming names) means I'm said blogger? I also didn't bash anyone, I merely pointed out that there's more than bloggers that are fooling us with paid endorsements and free products. So to wake up & spend less time on the blogger bashing.

I follow a handful of bloggers and only the ones I trust that are genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I'm going to pop up with my two cents now. I follow (and have unfollowed!) a good few bloggers on snapchat at this stage and can identify nearly all of them from your comments. I think it can be quite obvious when things are paid once youre clued in.

This whole thread blew up after a mention of a face cream that a blogger had only used once - totally agree this is not credible and blatant advertising for that company.

However, bringing Rosemarys hotel stay into it is something very different. I just assumed she didnt pay as she was down in Cork for an event - they would have paid. She did snapchat though - and rather than gush about the Kingsley, she showed the room, the food, the lobby etc. To my mind, the videos and pics gave enough information to the follower for them to make up their own mind on whether it is a place worth staying in and THAT in my opinion is where the line is. Rosemary didnt cross it... however the girl with the cream did.

Im not one to rant like this usually so hope the above makes sense!

But surely people deserved to know she stayed there for free the same way people want to know if a product that's gushed about is free or not? A blogger posts a pic of her food and her menu and didn't force her opinion on the restaurant at all yet she's the one deemed dishonest because she didn't disclose that she got the food for free. And hers was only 3 snaps versus the entire hotel tour and all its brilliance we got elsewhere. It seems one rule for one and one for the rest. It's absolutely madness. All should be treated equal. Bloggers & Online influencers alike. Anyways I'm done giving my own 2 cents. I just find this entire post unfortunate, & was just trying to open your eyes to the online world around you. Trust your gut when it comes to them all, and realise that some are much sneakier than others just because they don't have the title of a blogger. I've unfollowed most bloggers over the course of the last 6 months, and lately have only opened my eyes to the online influencers. I'll continue to follow the few that a believe to be trustworthy, and as soon as I suspect otherwise then I'll stop following & move on. Simple. Night folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Jbosssie1

But surely people deserved to know she stayed there for free the same way people want to know if a product that's gushed about is free or not? A blogger posts a pic of her food and her menu and didn't force her opinion on the restaurant at all yet she's the one deemed dishonest because she didn't disclose that she got the food for free. And hers was only 3 snaps versus the entire hotel tour and all its brilliance we got elsewhere. It seems one rule for one and one for the rest. It's absolutely madness. All should be treated equal. Bloggers & Online influencers alike. Anyways I'm done giving my own 2 cents. I just find this entire post unfortunate, & was just trying to open your eyes to the online world around you. Trust your gut when it comes to them all, and realise that some are much sneakier than others just because they don't have the title of a blogger. I've unfollowed most bloggers over the course of the last 6 months, and lately have only opened my eyes to the online influencers. I'll continue to follow the few that a believe to be trustworthy, and as soon as I suspect otherwise then I'll stop following & move on. Simple. Night folks.
    One of the top bloggers who gets invited to these nice restaurants and puts the odd pic up for the menu doesn't just get a free meal for her and her fiancé she gets paid also for those snapchat pics and there's where the problem lies not the freebie the payment when money is exchanged then its promotion only the viewer is oblivious and the majority of people think it's the opinion of the blogger and take their word as honesty I use the term blogger loosely as these particular girls don't update there blogs half as much as the smaller bloggers who work hard on their blogs and give honest reviews which is why they don't get recognised as much they would rather have integrity than say everything is great for a payment

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Since the arrival of snapchat blogs and YouTube content have taken a big hit. Bloggers like Rosie and Pippa had kind of toyed with YouTube for a bit but totally abandoned it the minute snapchat came along. I actually liked Pippa's YouTube videos. I'm sure it's way handier for them to make money through snapchat, 10 second video, no editing, no light fixtures or sound equipment needed.. Just pop your mention up for ten seconds and after 24 hrs it's gone into oblivion. It's crazy really.

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    Since the arrival of snapchat blogs and YouTube content have taken a big hit. Bloggers like Rosie and Pippa had kind of toyed with YouTube for a bit but totally abandoned it the minute snapchat came along. I actually liked Pippa's YouTube videos. I'm sure it's way handier for them to make money through snapchat, 10 second video, no editing, no light fixtures or sound equipment needed.. Just pop your mention up for ten seconds and after 24 hrs it's gone into oblivion. It's crazy really.

And make an absolute fortune in the process money in integrity out

Dont even get me started on bloggers that don't even update their blog! Especially full time ones, it's absolutely crazy!! I saw one and all she did for almost a year was update about her weight loss & gain, it was basically the same post over and over. No decent content at all. But as I said I just unfollow these and opt for a handful of trustworthy ones.

I genuinely don't believe that said blogger got paid to eat there and don't think you should make that assumption. Paid for posts should be declared, as should free product. But it's funny how people didn't for a second think one person got a hotel stay for free but as soon as someone eats at a restaurant it's a paid for placement just because she has a blogger title. I can't even recall he name of the restaurant so clearly she didn't do her job properly, but I won't be forgetting the name of that hotel as it was drilled into me!

Again my point is, it's not just bloggers and eyes need to be opened to the rising of the online influencer. In a years time there will be a similar boards thread slating those no doubt once everyone realises.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Dont even get me started on bloggers that don't even update their blog! Especially full time ones, it's absolutely crazy!! I saw one and all she did for almost a year was update about her weight loss & gain, it was basically the same post over and over. No decent content at all. But as I said I just unfollow these and opt for a handful of trustworthy ones.

I genuinely don't believe that said blogger got paid to eat there and don't think you should make that assumption. Paid for posts should be declared, as should free product. But it's funny how people didn't for a second think one person got a hotel stay for free but as soon as someone eats at a restaurant it's a paid for placement just because she has a blogger title. I can't even recall he name of the restaurant so clearly she didn't do her job properly, but I won't be forgetting the name of that hotel as it was drilled into me!

Again my point is, it's not just bloggers and eyes need to be opened to the rising of the online influencer. In a years time there will be a similar boards thread slating those no doubt once everyone realises.

Yes it's annoying when they don't update their blogs especially those who do it full time. One girl in question only updates once a month and her updates are always ads, last week it was pampers, month before that the car seat, before that acne treatment, before that image skincare. Not one mention of them being ads though. She has no personal touch to her blog whatsoever, just blatant advertisement that she never actually discloses.

Which is why I don't follow that blog, any blog I follow has declarations & disclaimers, but online influencers can escape that as they've no 'blog' which is why they seem to be falling under the radar here, yet getting just as much if not more product placement & paid endorsements, & the smaller honest bloggers who seem to work hard getting none of the above because bloggers in general are the only ones getting slated

You shouldn't really make assumptions on what we're all thinking. Just because no one mentioned the hotel doesn't mean people thought it wasn't free. But as someone already said if it was for an event as a speaker the assumption is that they would pay.
    And it was one person who mentioned the restaurant directly. Not groups of people.
    You've said yourself you don't follow what you don't like so why are you following this "online influencer"

Most of your posts are just attacking us as posters suggesting people here are thick. Your opinion on who is genuine and who isn't doesn't make it law. Everyone has levels of who they feel is worth watching and not.

And no one is talking about just bloggers. The word blogger encapsulates more than that and yes people do have they eyes open to that.

Your continuous bashing of Rosemary is very tiring. We get it. You don't like her. None of us are stupid here. Most of us thought the hotel was paid for because of her speaking at UCC and she has confirmed that. Nobody begrudges people freebies. It gets peoples backs up when people are paid to say "Oh look I'm staying in this hotel" which Rosemary was not.

I can tell you now that payment from the restaurant is not an assumption that's fact when invited she has no problem telling them
    How much she charges for certain things ect snapchat or a mini review or a post on the blog ect everyone is talking about her and a couple of others that do it constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Locking this thread pending mod review. It's starting to turn bitchy (and we were doing so well until a few days ago).

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement