Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Minds 3Arena 29th Nov 2015

Options
  • 30-11-2015 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Just in case anyone was there & is interested, here's the finisher from last nights gig in the 3Arena in Dublin..

(Including the little dance from Jim & Charlie right at the end..;-))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I was there.
    The weirdest thing for me: I was upfront, Jim's vocals sounded completely muffled, at points he was almost inaudible.
    When I moved further back (near the exits), he sounded perfect!!

Great fun as usual. His voice is not as strong as it used to be, he seemed to seek any opportunity for a breather, allowing the fans to sing. I think nowadays they are more suited to smaller venues, I think the 2 previous times at the Olympia were absolute class!
    But what a band: Charlie is still a great guitarist and Mel immense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Here's the opener..

Waterfront

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I was there.
    The weirdest thing for me: I was upfront, Jim's vocals sounded completely muffled, at points he was almost inaudible.
    When I moved further back (near the exits), he sounded perfect!!

Great fun as usual. His voice is not as strong as it used to be, he seemed to seek any opportunity for a breather, allowing the fans to sing. I think nowadays they are more suited to smaller venues, I think the 2 previous times at the Olympia were absolute class!
    But what a band: Charlie is still a great guitarist and Mel immense!!

Totally agree on this. His vocals were so 'understated' at times, it was really noticeable. He still has great stage presence although the skinny jeans look ridiculous. They really have a great back catalogue to pick from. They were good but I definitely preferred the last Olympia gig!

I caught the Stranglers earlier and I'm really glad I did...they were fcuking immense! They just had such a great, raw energy about them and I wasn't surprised to see them get such a fantastic ovation at the end. Great to hear 'Peaches' and 'No More Heroes' live.

Up On The Catwalk..

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

a fantastic show indeed!

I was very let down after their 2009 gig in the O2, but last night more than made up for that.

The guest vocalist kind of took the wind out of the show at times, I guess Jim is feeling it after all these years, after a big tune he'd disappear off for a new shirt and a breather, however when he was onstage he was as ever the showman and preformed terrifically.

I would have preferred some more obscure songs from their back catalogue, but this was exactly as it was labelled, Big Music + Greatest Hits.

Hopefully they come back soon!
    I reckon it'd be something special in the Olympia.

Does anybody know what was shouted from the crowd about U2, which made Jim say "We don't give a f**k about that, they are our friends"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Plus one for the Stranglers

I was surprised by the Stranglers, first time seeing them, very raw and very impressive!

It was surprising to see a few people leave after them.

I'd love to see them again in a smaller venue. Very solid show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Was there and loved it but..

I absolutely hated the performance of Don't You. I get that they must be a little jaded by the success of the song but they (Jim really tbh) have to remember that the concert goers are not. You could tell the most of the crowd were not best pleased either as they backed off singing the chorus at times as I feel they, as I, just wanted him to sing the damn song and stfu with the high jinks about how the chorus sounds the same no matter what language it's sung in. Funny once perhaps but he bloody went on a bit too long and killed the song on the night for me.

Surprised there was no Belfast Child also, not sure if they play it anymore though.

Sanctify Yourself, Alive and Kicking and Waterfront were the high points for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I really enjoyed the New Gold Dream section of songs. The crescendo to NGD was the highlight for me. It would have been a fitting way to end the gig.

My first ever concert was the RDS show in 1989 and I've finally seen Simple Minds again 26 years later!

I was also impressed with The Stranglers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just seeing there now that they play some acoustic shows at the Olympia on Wednesday and Thursday night coming.... no idea how I managed to miss announcement of these dates. Seems pretty much sold out now also, bar restricted view and maybe upper circle which I hate at the Olympia (so Toutless it'll have to be).

Any reviews on these stripped down shows?

• Advertisement

Just seeing there now that they play some acoustic shows at the Olympia on Wednesday and Thursday night coming.... no idea how I managed to miss announcement of these dates. Seems pretty much sold out now also, bar restricted view and maybe upper circle which I hate at the Olympia (so Toutless it'll have to be).

Any reviews on these stripped down shows?

Very much looking forward to tomorrow nights show!

I haven't been to any of the acoustic shows before but I've heard all good things. The American was immense last time in the 3Arena.

Anybody know the stage times?

A very impressive night of music from Simple Minds once again.
    Jeeze Charlie is one gifted guitar player, incredible stuff.

Looking forward to them returning electrified!

A very impressive night of music from Simple Minds once again.
    Jeeze Charlie is one gifted guitar player, incredible stuff.

Looking forward to them returning electrified!

Yep - great show.

Here's the opener from Night 1 - New Gold Dream - Wed June 7th 2017

Hope you might enjoy..

Cheers

Another small momento of a great night .....

Hope any Minds' fans might enjoy this.

Cheers

Advertisement