Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant feeding stray cats

Options
  • 30-11-2015 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I have a tenant who wont stop feeding stay cats i have ask her to stop on several occasions her mental state is not great as she starts shouting and crying when confronted but now has taken to feeding them at night when nobody is around they are a real nuisance there numbers are increasing.
    Any ideas I think i may have to issue a written warning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tenant in a property or tenant who lives with you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

is there anything in the lease about feeding cats or having pets?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

no lease part 4 tenancy in a multi unit house garden full of cat **** always 7/8 cats hanging out side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

rossmores wrote: »
    no lease part 4 tenancy in a multi unit house

What does this mean?

Do you live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

rossmores wrote: »
    no lease part 4 tenancy in a multi unit house garden full of cat **** always 7/8 cats hanging out side

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Battery-Operated-Cat-Repeller/dp/B004SGC75S

Why is it always cats. I almost think sometimes that liking cats should be acceptable grounds to reject tenants. It needs to be made very clear to the tenant that if this continues you will have the ispca called to put the cats down. Also install one or two of the above devices discreetly. Don't say anything as they will probably remove them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What does this mean?

Do you live there?

It's obvious enough the op is renting the house to this person don't see what the difficulty in seeing that is.

Op tell the person to stop this immediately, they are either breaking a rule about pets or attracting unwanted pests around the house either could be grounds for you to issue her a warning and if that's ignores begin an eviction process. Cat s*it is a serious health hazard and the tenant needs to be told they are going to have to stop attracting them by feeding them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The strays are most likely going to stay calling even if you get rid of the tenant. If you get rid of the strays more will fill the gap in the market. Suggest that the tenant contact a sanctuary or vet about trap and release. If the strays are neutered they won't reproduce and others won't come around. They'll eventually die off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

ken wrote: »
    ........ Suggest that the tenant contact a sanctuary or vet about trap and release.........

They probably won't do that though - they'll feed them and feed them but won't bring them to a vet for even a bit of a check up

ken wrote: »
    The strays are most likely going to stay calling even if you get rid of the tenant. If you get rid of the strays more will fill the gap in the market. Suggest that the tenant contact a sanctuary or vet about trap and release. If the strays are neutered they won't reproduce and others won't come around. They'll eventually die off.

hence the ultrasonic cat scarers. the cats will cop on pretty quick and be afraid to hear the noise, after a week, food or no food you won't have any cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

You should get in touch with the local SPCA. If they're tame enough to approach a house to be fed, the SPCA will have procedure in place to trap, neuter and rehome. It may not happen immediately but they'll do it. Let them know that a tenant is feeding the animals but not prepared or able to look after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I would be wary of using those ultrasonic devices. It might sound crazy but they give me awful migraine, I can't even visit one of my aunts anymore because she has them for rodents.

I would suggest contacting the DSPCA, they'll trap and neuter the cats. If they aren't feral then they'll be rehomes, if they are then they'll be re-released. You need to tell the tenant that the garden area has become a health hazard and it's her responsibility to clean it up.

I would be wary of using those ultrasonic devices. It might sound crazy but they give me awful migraine, I can't even visit one of my aunts anymore because she has them for rodents.

I would suggest contacting the DSPCA, they'll trap and neuter the cats. If they aren't feral then they'll be rehomes, if they are then they'll be re-released. You need to tell the tenant that the garden area has become a health hazard and it's her responsibility to clean it up.

the specific ones i linked to have a motion sensor and are directional. I can hear them too and wouldn't recommend a constant one, but those are very good at removing cats without causing house occupants any disturbance.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

+1 They also will cause problems for children in neighbouring houses. Our neighbor installed one to scare away rats. We couldn't open any windows to the back of the house and the kids wouldn't go into the back garden because the noise hurt their ears and gave them headaches. I couldn't hear it. Took us a month to track down what was causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

aunt aggie wrote: »
    You should get in touch with the local SPCA. If they're tame enough to approach a house to be fed, the SPCA will have procedure in place to trap, neuter and rehome.
    Only a short-term fix, as the tenant seems the sort that will continue to put out food that will either attract more cats, or rats, etc.

The OP says it's their tenant, then check their contract regarding pets. If it's licensee, give them a week, and evict. Screaming and shouting means one of two things; they always get their way when they do it, or is mentally unhinged. Either way, you run a business, and need to get rid of this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Id be evicting the tenant too regardless of this being solved or not.

I wonder what the PRTB would think of it, though.

My lease says "no pets" but it doesn't say anything about not interacting with other animals in the neighbourhood.

My lease says "no pets" but it doesn't say anything about not interacting with other animals in the neighbourhood.

Id count this in the same remit as dumping rubbish outside. Its clearly causing excrement and possibly vermin to be present around the building. The tenant is the direct cause of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Id count this in the same remit as dumping rubbish outside. Its clearly causing excrement and possibly vermin to be present around the building. The tenant is the direct cause of this.

Try that in the PRTB. I would put it under "anti Social Behaviour". Letters will have to be written to the tenant with a request that the behaviour ceases. Video evidence will be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

Cats don't cause vermin, they deter vermin.
    Trap, Neuter and Release is the best way to go with this. The ISPCA or Blue Cross/ Cats Aid could help out and let his woman know that it's best for the cats too.
    If a cat colony has been established there, they won't just suddenly disperse if the tenant is forced to leave- which I can't imagine to be legal.
    As Mrs O'Bumble pointed out, she is not keeping pets, just interacting with local animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Exactly, there'd be less vermin than if the cats weren't there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Exactly, there'd be less vermin than if the cats weren't there!

But there's a case for the cats being classed as "vermin". Cats can be real pests and even ferrel ones won't think twice about climbing in Windows and spreading various germs/diseases.
    There's also the fact they make loud noises while mating/fighting. They raid bins, defecate around the house and if they see the property as some sort of safe haven may bring dead rats/mice/birds there to eat and store.
    I definitely wouldn't be taking this lightly, it's a very serious issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

Thank all for the helpful feed back,
    The tenant in question has being in the house for a long time and has always been co operative up to about 2 year
    they have come to my attention a couple of times since I had previously ignored the cat feeding.
    I have since had a compliant from 2 other tenants about a lot of cats around more than before so when i asked the feeding tenant to stop she flipped big time the feeding has now gone underground the bowls have being removed from the back garden but in a tenant communal storage area usually tenants put items such as suitcases etc i have seen cat food and new bowls there is a determination to continue.

My plan is to confront her ask if she is still feeding and have the food & bowls removed from the area.
    I will inform all tenant by sms there should be no stray cat feeding with a notice about same on the rear door to garden.

There is about 10 cats around constantly and lot of excrement in the garden as a result
    when the door opens they run to the door can be a bit scary

thanks again for all comments will update later.

vagazzled wrote: »

A lot of people would consider stray cats as vermin and cat s*it is a serious health hazard. I would not stand for someone drawing stray cats around a property of mine by feeding them (or having pets of any kind in the house either).
    As Mrs O'Bumble pointed out, she is not keeping pets, just interacting with local animals.

A person regularly feeding cats I would consider to have taken them on as pets. The ultra sound and possibly sprinklers etc along with stopping feeding them will drive them away eventually but the first step is stopping them being fed as they will have to go elsewhere looking for food if they don't get it there and if no one around feeds them they will have to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Cats can be real pests and even ferrel ones won't think twice about climbing in Windows and spreading various germs/diseases.

For humans, the only real risk is Toxoplasmosis and the risk for that is tiny, as it's only pregnant women who have never been around cats, not all pregnant women. And people with suppressed immune systems.

As for rummaging through bins. Anyone putting rubbish outside should have it in a wheelie bin and if they do, there'll be no problem. Putting just binliners of rubbish outside - terrible idea, and not just because of stray cats.

I don't really see much issue with the odd dead mouse or bird being around. I'm pretty impervious to that though, having had a rural upbringing. Maybe it would bother others more, I don't know?

Excrement - yes, this can be an issue.

And as said, it would be difficult to evict someone on these grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if she lived alone out in the country I think it would be hard to evict or stop her.

this situation has other tenants and im assuming is in a town or city
    ask them what they think, then get a written complaint from them. surely you have a duty of care towards them.

I would put up those ultra sonic devices somewhere she cant disconnect

she is probably an animal lover so should agree to nuttering them to stop them breading. when they are taken to the vets don't bring them back. get them rehomed etc.
    what can she do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I found burning some rubber in the area puts off cats. Burn a few old rubber boots or tyres and the cats will vamoose.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

Nothing more disgusting then strays around a place bringing diseases with them spraying their filthy urine around where it could blind a child. If shes crying and getting upset over it then its clear that she isnt right in the head, kick her out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

You can't just "kick them out" though. She has a part 4 tenancy agreement. The only way around it is to do as someone said previously and contact the relevant authorities in relation to RSPCA or whoever it is over here.

Having someone evicted is a long and costly process.

Bear in mind that after the tenant has lived there for 4 years, part 4 tenancy will effectively end and "further part 4" will kick in, meaning within 6 months at this point you can issue warnings and an eviction notice. This must be done correctly though.

Putting bowls in a communal area like a luggage store is just sick. If your tenant is responsible Id be evicting them as quick as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It appears to be more than interacting with neighbourhood animals though and by feeding them she is looking after them and taking responsibility for them as if she owned them.
    Trap, Neuter and Release is the best way to go with this. The ISPCA or Blue Cross/ Cats Aid could help out and let his woman know that it's best for the cats too.
    If a cat colony has been established there, they won't just suddenly disperse if the tenant is forced to leave- which I can't imagine to be legal.
    In cases like this the cats are the vermin. they are usually feral and because the human involved is not the full shilling the cats are not looked after or even fed properly, As for the dspca or blue cross or bringing the cats to some vets, who is supposed to pay for this as neutering 10+ cats is not a service provided freely by anyone!
    You can't just "kick them out" though. She has a part 4 tenancy agreement. The only way around it is to do as someone said previously and contact the relevant authorities in relation to RSPCA or whoever it is over here.

Having someone evicted is a long and costly process.

Bear in mind that after the tenant has lived there for 4 years, part 4 tenancy will effectively end and "further part 4" will kick in, meaning within 6 months at this point you can issue warnings and an eviction notice. This must be done correctly though.
    She can be turfed out as soon as the 4 years is up as long as notice is properly issued 112days before the 4 years.

As for evicting her OP, Write a letter addressed to all tenants and post to every flat you own, in it state that feeding of animals is prohibited.

Make out a lease agrement for this tenant and get her to sign it, have a clause in the lease about bird/cat feeding and also throwing food waste into the garden. If she then persists she is in breach of a lease and you can start the eviction process. Start gathering evidence of her feeding the cats such as pictures of the bowls and food.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement