Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant feeding stray cats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Can the cats be destroyed or something? It's very hard to contain stray cats and it will be more and more hassle to deal with them. Because people who get a present of kitten litter will start dropping them to the cat lady instead of getting rid of them.

Oh and before there is uproar, I like cats, but my mum fed couple of them and I know how it ended. Even if you neuter them 'nice' people keep sending over new additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    For humans, the only real risk is Toxoplasmosis and the risk for that is tiny, as it's only pregnant women who have never been around cats, not all pregnant women. And people with suppressed immune systems.

As for rummaging through bins. Anyone putting rubbish outside should have it in a wheelie bin and if they do, there'll be no problem. Putting just binliners of rubbish outside - terrible idea, and not just because of stray cats.

I don't really see much issue with the odd dead mouse or bird being around. I'm pretty impervious to that though, having had a rural upbringing. Maybe it would bother others more, I don't know?

Excrement - yes, this can be an issue.

And as said, it would be difficult to evict someone on these grounds.

So a cat eating various forms of vermin only carries Toxoplasmosis?
    Just from a quick Google search;
    "The main types of diseases which people can pick up from cats are toxoplasmosis, rabies, cat scratch disease, salmonella, campylobacter, giardia and cryptosporidium, roundworm and ringworm."

Of course someone should secure their bins but it's a real nuisances not being able to even leave a bin bag at your door while you go back in for a cable tie because it will ripped apart by cats.

The OP said there's 10+ cats. If each one of those bring a dead animal to the house even once a week that still alot more than the odd dead rodent!

I think eviction would be very possible. The Tennant has repeatedly refused to comply with the reasonable instructions of their landlord. There's a mess around the house from excrement which is directly related to the tenants actions and subsequent actions after their landlords instructions.
    I wouldn't like to see anyone evicted but if it continues I don't see any other option.
    If correct protocol is followed i.e verbal, written warnings, notice to quit I have heard of people being evicted for much less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Can we lay off the cat science please. Regardless of the pros and cons of having cats on the property the OP's issue is with the tenant effectively enticing them onto the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

meeeeh wrote: »
    Can the cats be destroyed or something? It's very hard to contain stray cats and it will be more and more hassle to deal with them. Because people who get a present of kitten litter will start dropping them to the cat lady instead of getting rid of them.

Oh and before there is uproar, I like cats, but my mum fed couple of them and I know how it ended. Even if you neuter them 'nice' people keep sending over new additions.

The thing is, if the current colony are destroyed a new one will move in to take its place. As someone above recommended, TNR is the way to go.

Kablamo! wrote: »
    The thing is, if the current colony are destroyed a new one will move in to take its place. As someone above recommended, TNR is the way to go.

If absolutely no one feeds or leaves out food and some deterrents are put in place the absolute worst you might get are one or two cats passing through nothing like 10 cats hanging around all the time looking for food. That many cats don't be around a house unless they are being fed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I think eviction would be very possible. The Tennant has repeatedly refused to comply with the reasonable instructions of their landlord.
    The Residential does not say that a tenant has to follow reasonable instructions of their landlord. The tenant can only be evicted for breaking a condition in their lease or anti social behavior. In this case the tenant is not in breach of a condition in her lease. In any event it would take quite some time to go through the PRTB to get her out. Meantime the o/ps house ist stinking of cat's piss etc

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Please contact cats aid, there are volunteers out there who do Trap and neutering for feral cats rather than them being killed.
    http://www.catsaid.ie/about-us/what-we-do/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maybe increase the rent to get rid of her?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Please contact cats aid, there are volunteers out there who do Trap and neutering for feral cats rather than them being killed.
    http://www.catsaid.ie/about-us/what-we-do/

do they also remove and attempt to rehome the cats ? I don't think the op wants them neutered and returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

do they also remove and attempt to rehome the cats ? I don't think the op wants them neutered and returned.

They might be re-homed if they are socialized but if they are feral, TNR is the best solution. The OP is within his rights to request the tenant not cause a nuisance by enticing the animals onto the property but he is not within his rights to dictate what can or cannot live within a specific area surrounding his property ;)

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Maybe increase the rent to get rid of her?

Constructive eviction?

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    They might be re-homed if they are socialized but if they are feral, TNR is the best solution.

Personally I would say getting rid of them completely is the best solution. What's the point of releasing them to continue being pests and a danger to health.
    but he is not within his rights to dictate what can or cannot live within a specific area surrounding his property ;)

If that area includes his garden then he is well within his rights to specify what can't live there. If he lived there himself he could have measures stop unwanted animals being around so why not when he is the LL?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

today I asked her if she is still feeding she refused to answer so i have removed her feeding bowls sent an sms to all tenants and have placed a camera over the area, when i get a shot of her feeding i will give her a written warning as to her continued tenancy where pets are not allowed.

even the owners cars on an adjacent lane way are used as a spring board to the "feeding center" last time i ask her to stop about 1 year previously she went mad over the phone shouting the tenants and me are cat haters.

I would love to drag her out by the scruff of the neck and put her face into the **** they have left behind but i could not do that to a woman.

The other tenants are all working and abide by any rules in-place it ironic that its the one who is on SS attracts the unwelcome attention.

Oh and before anyone should come to her defense this lass is getting everything from the state and owns her own apartment in Rome "fact"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Battery-Operated-Cat-Repeller/dp/B004SGC75S

Why is it always cats. I almost think sometimes that liking cats should be acceptable grounds to reject tenants. It needs to be made very clear to the tenant that if this continues you will have the ispca called to put the cats down. Also install one or two of the above devices discreetly. Don't say anything as they will probably remove them.

Jesus no wonder landlords get a bad name. Have you any idea what ultrasound does to other animals?

rossmores wrote: »
    today I asked her if she is still feeding she refused to answer so i have removed her feeding bowls sent an sms to all tenants and have placed a camera over the area, when i get a shot of her feeding i will give her a written warning as to her continued tenancy where pets are not allowed.

even the owners cars on an adjacent lane way are used as a spring board to the "feeding center" last time i ask her to stop about 1 year previously she went mad over the phone shouting the tenants and me are cat haters.

I would love to drag her out by the scruff of the neck and put her face into the **** they have left behind but i could not do that to a woman.

The other tenants are all working and abide by any rules in-place it ironic that its the one who is on SS attracts the unwelcome attention.

Oh and before anyone should come to her defense this lass is getting everything from the state and owns her own apartment in Rome "fact"

Charming

I would be wary of using those ultrasonic devices. It might sound crazy but they give me awful migraine, I can't even visit one of my aunts anymore because she has them for rodents.

I would suggest contacting the DSPCA, they'll trap and neuter the cats. If they aren't feral then they'll be rehomes, if they are then they'll be re-released. You need to tell the tenant that the garden area has become a health hazard and it's her responsibility to clean it up.

Not crazy at all. Ultrasound has well documented effects on humans.

Is the tenant breaking te lease? I can't imagine not "following orders" is breaking the lease.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Is the tenant breaking te lease? I can't imagine not "following orders" is breaking the lease.

She is basically keeping pets, allowing them to destroy the garden (which is a health hazard), damaging cars which they are jumping on, carrying disease etc etc. If it was rats people would have a totally different tune and feral cats are vermin too (though obviously not as bad as rats) I don't know why some people cant see that.

An odd feral cat passing through every now and again is not a problem (once its not being fed) and isn't a big deal but when you have them in double figures its a different ball game and its just cant be allowed to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

rossmores wrote: »
    owns her own apartment in Rome "fact"

Would you do it to a male tenant?

How do you know she owns her own apartment in Rome?

She is basically keeping pets, allowing them to destroy the garden (which is a health hazard), damaging cars which they are jumping on, carrying disease etc etc. If it was rats people would have a totally different tune and feral cats are vermin too (though obviously not as bad as rats) I don't know why some people cant see that.

An odd feral cat passing through every now and again is not a problem (once its not being fed) and isn't a big deal but when you have them in double figures its a different ball game and its just cant be allowed to continue.

You're making them sound like super-powered zombie cats ffs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Terrible situation, the humane response is TNR.

I am appalled by some of the posts on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

How boring, this thread has turned into a cat-haters vs. cat-lovers thread instead of dealing with the issue regardless of what animals are fed or kept.

FYI there is no difference between a feral cat and a domestic cat. Feral cats are simply homeless (strayed from home or born outdoors). I'm disgusted by some of the inhumane attitudes here, especially from the landlord, not just toward cats but toward other human beings too! Cats are not vermin. They actually bury their waste, unlike dogs. There is an organisation called Feral Cats Ireland who will trap and neuter these cats. They may rehome them too, but as other posters have tried to tell you more homeless cats will replace them.

Indeed. Suggested violence towards cats is one thing, but towards another human being (who is clearly not in her right mind no matter how well meaning she might be), is something else entirely. There is so much hatred here, and the irony is that strays and ferals exist because of people's failure to fix their own cats, leaving them behind, dumping kittens etc. TNR aims to tackle the problem by reducing numbers. Short of nuking the place, it will never be cat free. Neutering will cut down on territorial aggression, spraying, fighting etc, though by the sounds of it, these are highly-charged, joyriding, anti-social zombie cats so perhaps this may not work! :P

Dr Strange wrote: »
    How boring, this thread has turned into a cat-haters vs. cat-lovers thread instead of dealing with the issue regardless of what animals are fed or kept.

Humane suggestions were put to OP and met with suggestions of violence towards both cats and tenant. What do you expect?

TNR aims to tackle the problem by reducing numbers.

And by leaving a stable, non reproducing colony in place to prevent new cats moving in. Usually best achieved with the co-operation of a caretaker who will feed the cats and keep an eye on them for injury/disease - plus arrange TNR for any new ones that do happen to appear. This lady would probably be well willing to perform such a role.

Please give your meaning of vermin? There's no accepted scientific meaning.

They're nor pets. I feed foxes in my back garden but they're certainly not pets.

And by leaving a stable, non reproducing colony in place to prevent new cats moving in. Usually best achieved with the co-operation of a caretaker who will feed the cats and keep an eye on them for injury/disease - plus arrange TNR for any new ones that do happen to appear. This lady would probably be well willing to perform such a role.

The op nor the other tenants want any cats around the place, covering place in s*hit, possibly damaging cars and creating a health hazard and a nuisance.

If people aren't feeding them more cats (or certainly only an odd one passing though) won't move in to replace as they have no reason to be around if they aren't getting food.

Feeding stray cats is a sure way to keep them hanging around and draw more.
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Please give your meaning of vermin? There's no accepted scientific meaning.

They're nor pets. I feed foxes in my back garden but they're certainly not pets.

A lot of people would consider foxes vermin also certainly farmers etc and I wouldn't be feeding them either drawing them around the house they carry diseases and are a danger to anyone with small animals or hens etc along with new born lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Who knew people were so delicate and were so susceptible to the ravages of diseases carried through our towns and cities.
    Maybe the foxes and feral cats will band together into a joyriding, anti-social zombie apocalypse foretelling coterie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

op you could be a little more helpful towards this tenant.
    in truth, what harm is she doing. if she has mental health issues, maybe feeding the cats is a pleasdure for her.
    speaking about what you'd like to do to her is unfair and unnecessary.
    have you tried speaking to her? you're willing to take her rent. what would it cost to be humane?

• Advertisement

The op nor the other tenants want any cats around the place, covering place in s*hit, possibly damaging cars and creating a health hazard and a nuisance.

If people aren't feeding them more cats (or certainly only an odd one passing though) won't move in to replace as they have no reason to be around if they aren't getting food.

Feeding stray cats is a sure way to keep them hanging around and draw more.

Clearly you have little understanding of feral cat colonies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement