Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant feeding stray cats

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The op nor the other tenants want any cats around the place, covering place in s*hit, possibly damaging cars and creating a health hazard and a nuisance.

If people aren't feeding them more cats (or certainly only an odd one passing though) won't move in to replace as they have no reason to be around if they aren't getting food.

Feeding stray cats is a sure way to keep them hanging around and draw more.

A lot of people would consider foxes vermin also certainly farmers etc and I wouldn't be feeding them either drawing them around the house they carry diseases and are a danger to anyone with small animals or hens etc along with new born lambs.

Name an animal that doesn't carry pathogens? I live near London currently. Farmers use of the phrase vermin does not make it more legitimate unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

op you could be a little more helpful towards this tenant.
    in truth, what harm is she doing. if she has mental health issues, maybe feeding the cats is a pleasdure for her.
    speaking about what you'd like to do to her is unfair and unnecessary.
    have you tried speaking to her? you're willing to take her rent. what would it cost to be humane?

If there are other people in the building they might not be prepared to rent in the middle of cat colony. I'm sure OP wouldn't be complaining if she rented a cottage in the middle of nowhere.

I do wonder how many of people advocating humane approach here are prepared to adopt a cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

meeeeh wrote: »
    If there are other people in the building they might not be prepared to rent in the middle of cat colony. I'm sure OP wouldn't be complaining if she rented a cottage in the middle of nowhere.

I do wonder how many of people advocating humane approach here are prepared to adopt a cat?

Ive already taken 2 in off the street myself and rehomed a number of kittens. Theyre great!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ive already taken 2 in off the street myself and rehomed a number of kittens. Theyre great!

Well only 6 more and then you will catch up with the number OP has to deal with.

And btw I when living with my parents we always took in stray cats and took care of them (more than two I might add). We can't at the moment because our dog kills them but seven or eight cats around apartment building is completely different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Humane suggestions were put to OP and met with suggestions of violence towards both cats and tenant. What do you expect?

I probably expect more from a sensible discussion than some people.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Well only 6 more and then you will catch up with the number OP has to deal with.

And btw I when living with my parents we always took in stray cats and took care of them (more than two I might add). We can't at the moment because our dog kills them but seven or eight cats around apartment building is completely different issue.

Ive rehomed way more than 6 kittens ;)

But how many cats I have rehomed is irrelevant. People can have an opinion regardless of how many animals they themselves have rescued.

The humane solution here is TNR, it doesnt matter whether I have rehomed cats or not - I am still entitled to assert that. TNR does not involve adopting the cats. It means Trap Neuter Release.

There is a lot of scaremongering and nonsense being suggested on this thread. Youd swear the cats were vicious mountain lions the way some are going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I dont see anyone in this thread hating cats. The OP is well within his rights to discourage cats from being on his property and not wanting tennants to feed cats.

People suggesting its a good thing to have a cat colony really need to understand that not everyone loves cats that much and its not a good thing.

This woman obviously is mentally ill but id be getting those cats trapped and removed permanently or put down for both their sake and yours op.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

op you could be a little more helpful towards this tenant.
    in truth, what harm is she doing.
    Cat poo everywhere, and cats are damaging the cars.
    if she has mental health issues, maybe feeding the cats is a pleasdure for her.
    The landlord is not her friend, and thus doesn't need to care about her mental issues. He's running a business.
    have you tried speaking to her?
    As per the first post, if the they talk to her, she screams;
    rossmores wrote: »
    i have ask her to stop on several occasions her mental state is not great as she starts shouting and crying when confronted

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the_syco wrote: »
    The landlord is not her friend, and thus doesn't need to care about her mental issues. He's running a business.

Discrimination on the basis of mental disability is illegal, AFAIK. Treading carefully is recommended. An unhinged tenant can do a lot of damage to a property, especially if s/he feels victimized by the landlord.

I dont see anyone in this thread hating cats. The OP is well within his rights to discourage cats from being on his property and not wanting tennants to feed cats.

People suggesting its a good thing to have a cat colony really need to understand that not everyone loves cats that much and its not a good thing.

This woman obviously is mentally ill but id be getting those cats trapped and removed permanently or put down for both their sake and yours op.

No one is saying a cat colony is a good thing but the fact is, it exists, it's not going to go away by evicting the tenant or threatening her to stop feeding them. TNR will prevent further breeding so that will resolve the problem over time.

There is no service to trap and permanently remove cats and even if there was, cat colonies do not exist in isolation so there would be a new one there in no time.

The suggestion that someone is mentally ill because they feed cats is laughable. All that can be deduced is that the person is an animal lover.

The OP feels ok to criticise the tenant for choosing to help animals, to criticise her life style, where she gets her money, to cast aspersions on her property ownership elsewhere, to claim he would commit violence towards her if she weren't female, if the tenant found this thread her solicitor would have a field day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As some posters seem incapable of following moderator requests this thread is now being closed. Sorry OP. If you want to add an update please pm me or one of the other forum mods
    athtrasna wrote: »
    Mod note

Can we lay off the cat science please. Regardless of the pros and cons of having cats on the property the OP's issue is with the tenant effectively enticing them onto the property.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement