Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geographic addresses vs Postal addresses

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Ukoda you are so entrenched in your mindset that you cannot envisage another view point at all.

Please remember that I am not opposed to Eircodes, and have no objection to using An Post original postal address.

My entire conundrum arose when Eircode crystallized an issue : up until the introduction of Eircodes, I was able to receive post to my geographical address, with the addition of Via Postal town. (And without the Via too, but let's let this go).
    That's what my postal address used to be.
    Since the introduction of Eircodes, some An Post workers (it's inconsistent, so not all) are requiring me to amend the county, to match the postal town.

This was not an issue before this summer. I take it that people in Athlone know where my postal town is located (they have admirably demonstrated so for 12 years) so the fact that my geographical county is on the address is not an issue.

Or was not, until ... this summer.

The post issue is only one inconvenience for me, and not a big one really, or should not be, since I am very willing to use the Eircode. The issue here is more with An Post's perplexing delay in officially adopting it. If for operational reasons it is more economical to use the complete postal address, then it stands to reason that after a calibrating of sorting machines, Eircodes would save even more.

Incidentally I received a number of parcels with my geographical county, the Via town, and Eircode with no delays over the last week, today's came all the way from Japan.

The major issue I have is a more cultural/historical one, where a broader adoption of Eircodes will lead, imo, to a broader use of postal addresses, in turn paving the way for a redefinition of county borders. In time. Because I think it unlikely that governmental and private agencies happily juggle indefinitely between customers geographical, and postal addresses. Especially when counties differ (not just spellings).

France are in the process of amalgamation as regards regions, and even departements. However, while criticism is ripe on the process, this was a publicized initiative, not something that was let happen quietly over time without the opportunity for people to intervene. It has been part of the political debate at national, and local levels. Now that the new law has been passed, the new debate will take place, after regional elections, on renaming of new regions.

Perhaps there would be less objections to new projects were Irish people to be included in the debate.

Sharp criticism is normal and will happen, but progress will too, with adjustments.

If it is more economical for Ireland to review and redefine counties then let the discussions start.

At the moment it seems that wide adoption of Eircodes is expected to effect the change in a haphazard and undeclared manner.

I'm entrenched in my mindset?! I think you need to have a read back over our conversations. I don't have a mindset. I have a set of facts I put forward.

You also seem to fail to acknowledge that I actually agree with you about the use of geographical addresses. Like I say, what are you actually arguing with me about? Seriously? Because I agree with your concerns, I said that about 3 times now. What mindset am I entrenched in??

The only thing I've done is put forwarded facts and corrected factually inaccurate statements you've made. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

ukoda wrote: »
    I'm entrenched in my mindset?! I think you need to have a read back over our conversations. I don't have a mindset. I have a set of facts I put forward.

You also seem to fail to acknowledge that I actually agree with you about the use of geographical addresses. Like I say, what are you actually arguing with me about? Seriously? Because I agree with your concerns, I said that about 3 times now. What mindset am I entrenched in??

The only thing I've done is put forwarded facts and corrected factually inaccurate statements you've made. That is all.

a) I have 2 addresses. Eircode uses one address only, postal. At some stage recently, when postal addresses were transferred to Eircode, the county in my postal address has been amended to the postal town county. My address has changed as a result to a Via Town + new county address. I reckon Eircode has effected a change of address for me, you reckon it hasn't, because there is a shadow database with my original county kept somewhere.

b) postal services started sporadically delaying my post because of "wrong address" shortly after introduction of Eircode. I make the link, and it's obvious to me that the development is due to Eircodes new address for me (antecedent : 12 years botherless service). You think this is coincidental and An Post workers had planned for years to amend practice, just came round to it this summer.

a) I have 2 addresses. Eircode uses one address only, postal. At some stage recently, when postal addresses were transferred to Eircode, the county in my postal address has been amended to the postal town county. My address has changed as a result to a Via Town + new county address. I reckon Eircode has effected a change of address for me, you reckon it hasn't, because there is a shadow database with my original county kept somewhere.

b) postal services started sporadically delaying my post because of "wrong address" shortly after introduction of Eircode. I make the link, and it's obvious to me that the development is due to Eircodes new address for me (antecedent : 12 years botherless service). You think this is coincidental and An Post workers had planned for years to amend practice, just came round to it this summer.

A) you've admitted yourself that it's only some an post workers and not others, yet you still claim it's some conspiracy

B) I've proven to you by way of evidence from a high court ruling, that An Post started imposing their version of addresses on people since 2011.

A) you've admitted yourself that it's only some an post workers and not others, yet you still claim it's some conspiracy

No, actual postal address online record used to be via town + my county, it is now via town + town's county. Separately from actual routing issues.
    B) I've proven to you by way of evidence from a high court ruling, that An Post started imposing their version of addresses on people since 2011.
    [/QUOTE]

Must not be very intensive for them to take 4 years to reach me. Simultaneous to Eircodes being rolled out.

This high court ruling was not that clear cut by the way. It just so happens that this particular judge thought it was a small inconvenience rather than the culturally/historically significant change ComReg thought it was.

Like I said the debate should be out in the open, and such discussions should be pre-empted, rather than waiting and leaving it all to the justice system to decide.

The judge decided that commercial interests supersede cultural/historical ones. I don't think it's right that this should be left to a judge to decide.

I think this illustrates the manner in which a significant geopolitical change is forced on people, with no input from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

This high court ruling was not that clear cut by the way. It just so happens that this particular judge thought it was a small inconvenience rather than the culturally/historically significant change ComReg thought it was.

The ruling was very clear. An Post may continue to use postal addresse. The judge's decision has legal authority. ComReg's opinion has none.
    Like I said the debate should be out in the open, and such discussions should be pre-empted, rather than waiting and leaving it all to the justice system to decide.

A bit late now, since the courts have already decided the issue, in public and in accordance with law.
    The judge decided that commercial interests supersede cultural/historical ones. I don't think it's right that this should be left to a judge to decide.

As the judge pointed out, historically the system of postal addresses being used by the postal service was in place long before the foundation of the state. You don't think it's right to let a judge decide disputes over law? Would you prefer to have a national referendum to decide the outcome every time Johnny sues Mickey because his toast was burnt?
    I think this illustrates the manner in which a significant geopolitical change is forced on people, with no input from the public.

There's no force involved at all. You can use whatever form of address you like and An Post will still deliver mail sent through their system or through the International Postal Union system. It may take slightly longer to deliver from time to time. If you're so attached to a system of counties imposed by the English on Ireland centuries ago, you can continue to use your geographical county name in your address and, from time to time, some of your mail will take a little longer to deliver than it would otherwise. If you're genuinely committed to what you perceive as your cultural/historical heritage then why make a big fuss over some slightly delayed mail? Isn't it a price worth paying? :confused:

<snip> Do not attack the poster. It does not improve your post. :Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,628 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

The ruling was very clear. An Post may continue to use postal addresse. The judge's decision has legal authority. ComReg's opinion has none.

[...]

Does that mean An Post are allowed to enforce people to use so-called postal addresses? Not the ones people's houses are located at (in terms of geographical location)? Genuine question.

Personally I don't care what An Post (and other couriers) are going to use as long as I don't have to keep a number of addresses for them. Happily had no problems with An Post yet. Nor other couriers.

I live in remote area (in the middle of nowhere I'd say). Let's say An Post are annoying me (through their "wrong address" sticker) to amend my so-called postal address to go "via Sometown". Second address to remember (real, geographic address being the first one). Let's say other couriers would start doing the same thing - reality is, I buy alot of stuff online, all delivered by An Post or others. And reality is, couriers depots are nowhere near each other.

Pure facts: one courier has "my" local depot in Sligo (third address). One in Athlone (fourth address). One in Roscommon (fifth address) and one in Galway (sixth address). If I omitted any of couriers delivering stuff for me, please accept my apologies. :o

I know, it'd rather never happen to go so bad, but that's how entire thing would escalate. And now, you have to know what courier would other end of supply chain use, and (if foreign courier with no Irish branch) what courier here delivers on their behalf - all that to know which postal (pff...) address should be provided to have successful delivery.

Eircode, maybe, will sort that out one day, but not in a foreseeable future IMO (I hope I'm wrong). I spoke a lot to lads delivering stuff for me, and only ONE of them used eircode to locate me. And it was his own initiative - he used his private mobile + eircode finder + his own sat nav phone app to locate me.

A bit late now, since the courts have already decided the issue, in public and in accordance with law.

As the judge pointed out, historically the system of postal addresses being used by the postal service was in place long before the foundation of the state. You don't think it's right to let a judge decide disputes over law? Would you prefer to have a national referendum to decide the outcome every time Johnny sues Mickey because his toast was burnt?

There's no force involved at all. You can use whatever form of address you like and An Post will still deliver mail sent through their system or through the International Postal Union system. It may take slightly longer to deliver from time to time. If you're so attached to a system of counties imposed by the English on Ireland centuries ago, you can continue to use your geographical county name in your address and, from time to time, some of your mail will take a little longer to deliver than it would otherwise. If you're genuinely committed to what you perceive as your cultural/historical heritage then why make a big fuss over some slightly delayed mail? Isn't it a price worth paying? :confused:

<snip> Do not attack the poster. It does not improve your post. :Mod

It's great that I didn't see the personal attack. Thanks mod.

Marmurr I find this entire post appalling. It is great that not everybody thinks like you.
    It means issues can be and are discussed, and the public can have their say in matters that concern them.
    Thank goodness (or I should say, thank democracy) the judiciary system does not indeed govern or dictate the country, and most of these changes become political issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

joujoujou wrote: »
    couriers delivering stuff for me
    Couriers do not have the same delivery offices infrastructure so the postal/geographic address debate is not as relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

It's great that I didn't see the personal attack. Thanks mod.

Marmurr I find this entire post appalling. It is great that not everybody thinks like you.
    It means issues can be and are discussed, and the public can have their say in matters that concern them.
    Thank goodness (or I should say, thank democracy) the judiciary system does not indeed govern or dictate the country, and most of these changes become political issues.

So when should we have the referendum? :D

Judicial rulings are an essential part of our democracy.

Without them, contraception would not have been legalised in Ireland, gay men would have had continued fear of persecution and segregation in the USA would have carried on.

There is nothing wrong per se with making decisions through the courts.

As I pointed out, you can use any form of address you please and as long as you add an Eircode, your individual address can be identified by An Post.

This may on some occasions lead to some delay in the delivery of mail handled by An Post. Isn't that minor inconvenience a price paying for your loyalty to geographic counties?

IMO, you're making out of a molehill - use whatever address you like. If it means a few minor delays now and again so be it. Is it really that big a deal?

If it is, I'll leave you to it.

Political issue does not equate referendum.

Right now in France there are regional elections, where people have been voting for representatives who proposed solutions and arrangements related to the reshaping and renaming of regions and departements. This is phase 2, implementation; debate about the amalgamation of regions has been ongoing for the past 2 years or so I think.

I don't see the point in arguing any longer, some time in the future the issue of postal addresses, geographical boundaries will more than likely arise again.

Maybe I am making a mountain of a molehill, or maybe I just look a little further than the immediate future.

It's great for you that you don't care.

Note : Of course writing the wrong county is not a massive issue. Of course there would no need for me to do so, if only Eircodes were used by the one obvious agency Eircode developers should have got on board from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,679 ✭✭✭✭L1011

An Post say they arent using eircode but the example addresses on the Christmas stamp booklet uses them. Bit odd

L1011 wrote: »
    An Post say they arent using eircode but the example addresses on the Christmas stamp booklet uses them. Bit odd

Sorry when did An Post say they weren't using them? Because both the CEO and head of operations for An Post have publicly stated they fully support eircode and are integrating it into all of their systems / processes.

People need to get a grip on reality too, just because eircode doesn't appear in every single aspect of everything An Post do from day one, does not mean they aren't using it, things take time, they aren't going to change everything overnight

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Sorry when did An Post say they weren't using them? Because both the CEO and head of operations for An Post have publicly stated they fully support eircode and are integrating it into all of their systems / processes.

People need to get a grip on reality too, just because eircode doesn't appear in every single aspect of everything An Post do from day one, does not mean they aren't using it, things take time, they aren't going to change everything overnight

Eircode was designed for An Post, who for many years said that they did not need it, did not want it, and would not use it. They got it anyway.

Given that they were involved from the start in the design and had a significant influence on the design, is it not strange that they were not in the vanguard in its implementation?

Any posties that I have asked about say the know nothing about it at all. Maybe it is in train to implement it, but not just yet.

Eircode was designed for An Post, who for many years said that they did not need it, did not want it, and would not use it. They got it anyway.

Given that they were involved from the start in the design and had a significant influence on the design, is it not strange that they were not in the vanguard in its implementation?

Any posties that I have asked about say the know nothing about it at all. Maybe it is in train to implement it, but not just yet.

Yeah they didn't have much to do with implementing it. it's not like they delivered all 2.2 million eircodes to properties or anything.

And you're right, it's going to take time for it to become common place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

This whole thread is derailed. quell Surprise

Lets say some of the posters who live at non-unique postal/geographic address
    like say Mountainsandh, for example, lived next door to some tourist attraction like a
    national monument
    or forest park,
    Or their neighbour was about to develop the land.
    How does the owner of the land next door to Mountainsandh tell someone, where the place is?
    (this is my understanding of a geographic address)

Advertisement