Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby to dad

• 30-11-2015 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya. I'm looking for ideas for a gift from our 1year old to his dad. Last year he got him a book called "I love my daddy" which his dad can read to him. So I'd like something along the same lines, you know from the baby but they can use it together. I'm totally stumped, so far I've come up with a football :o. Budget is small because I already have a gift for him, this is just a little token.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

Are you looking for books or toys? Or something interactive in general? The Early Learning Centre / Mothercare and Tesco would have a range of different types of toys aimed for infants and toddlers.

Bath toys and rubber ducks could be fun as well as bath books!

There's at least 2 different books called "I Love My Daddy". One is by Sebastien Braun (published 2004 http://www.amazon.com/Love-My-Daddy-Sebastien-Braun/dp/0060543116 ) and the other is by Giles Andreae (published in 2011 http://www.amazon.com/Love-My-Daddy-Board-Book/dp/1423199707/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1449020745&sr=1-1&keywords=I+love+my+daddy ). Both seem to be highly rated, which one do you have, or another by the same name, as there are several others I found of the same title. I know my nephew has the Sebastien Braun book, I remember seeing it on a recent visit and thought it was a lovely book. The Giles Andreae book is a board book.

On amazon you can preview pages of the book,
    funnily enough for both books there is someone either reviewing or reading the books (separate videos should come up as top result for a google result on each book) but it gives you an idea of what they are like.

I think either really would be lovely gifts and something that they can both enjoy reading together.

There is a book I know from my youngest nephew who has got into thanks to one of his other aunts a series of books called Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney http://www.guesshowmuchiloveyou.com/

I was watching a couple of the episodes on dvd (with my nephew and folks, so no, not just me biggrin.png ) and thought it was really really sweet, as I'd never seen it before, or read the books and was inferred that they are father and son, although I was reading there on wiki how it's not really stated as such in the original book series.

Others I'd suggest maybe older if you're stuck for ideas would be The Gruffalo and the related books from The Gruffalo such as The Gruffalo's Child and Stick Man, all by Julia Donaldson, as well as Tales From Acorn Wood (again Julia Donaldson) lift the flap book. There's a good few games, floor jigsaws and stuff that goes with the Gruffalo (e.g. the egg cup and spoon) if you wanted to build around the book and an interest in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

I was given a dogleg with their name on the front & DOB on the back. Have one for each & wear them always.

Also received a "Diary" of sorts, called "What it's like being your dad", I'm supposed to fill in random thoughts, it's a 20 year project, where you write in your thoughts at key points in their lives & then hopefully be around to give it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

6 pack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Lovely book called My Dad by Anthony Browne. Got loads of mileage in this house when my two were small.
    The My Mom version wasn't as dog eared much to my dismay!
    Football excellent idea as after 12m
    I notice they are into passing it or trying to so that should get used between them.
    Any favourite chocolate/sweets that you could add to the package.
    Or a framed photo or photo montage, you could make yourself of the two of them together over the past year. There are lots of photo apps out there. My dd made a lovely one for her Dad for his birthday. I'll find out what app was used in the morning if you intetested. Printed it off on photo paper and into nice frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

orthsquel wrote: »
    Are you looking for books or toys? Or something interactive in general? The Early Learning Centre / Mothercare and Tesco ......

The OP said from baby to Dad. I don't think Dad will be too much interested in stuff from the ELC.

OP, your partner will know its from you, not the 1 year old. Give him something he will like, even just something small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

syklops wrote: »
    The OP said from baby to Dad. I don't think Dad will be too much interested in stuff from the ELC.

OP, your partner will know its from you, not the 1 year old. Give him something he will like, even just something small.

haha sorry I was thinking on an interactive level, something that they can both play with :o although I did see a nice nursery rhyme board book in Tesco earlier today that was nice, including Incy Wincy Spider and This Little Piggy where potentially he could do the actions when reading too!

If there was an activity they both like e.g colouring you could get those egg shaped crayons for babies and toddlers for the child and proper child sized ones for the adult, or something like coloured chalk for drawing outside in the yard or pavement of a park, or a small frisbee, although they might be a bit young for all that.

Skylops is right though, get him something he will enjoy overall, even if it's something small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get something the dad can use, like maybe some clothes, multitool, and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks guys. Yep I know he will know it's from me. I know parents think their kids are amazing but he won't fall for it :p

However it's a gesture and a sentimental thing and so I will get him something from the baby to him. I like the idea of a small few things. I'll include a six pack. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

Could get them a nice embroidery tshirt or something like this...Matching Tees.. I know a lady on facebook who would do something if you like she is based in Portlaoise or Hairy Baby you could get funny matching tees or bull shirt is quite good

Advertisement