Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the nVidia equivalent of the ATI Radeon HD 5670??

Options
  • 30-11-2015 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hi All.
    What is the nVidia equivalent of the ATI Radeon HD 5670??

I am looking to upgrade the Graphics card on a Dell Vostro 200 running an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.167GHz CPU & 4GB RAM.
    The PSU is the standard Dell Power Supply rated at ~180W. I am not looking to upgrade the PSU at this time.
    Currently there is an Asus ATi Radeon 5450 card in the system. It's passive / silent.

I am considering a passively cooled ATI Radeon HD 5670 as the best card to put in this system for low-end gaming without exceeding the PSU limits.

Is there an equivalent NVidia card that people would recommend?

Thanks,
    MtM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Something like a GTX 750 should work. No additional power requirements as it draws its power from the slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

I should have added that my budget is around €50.

MtM

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Also the PC is way too old to benefit from most newer cards, a GTX750 would be a total waste.

Anything that works satisfactorily on an E8500 should be perfectly OK on a HD7730, HD7750 type card which should be around the €50 mark. Realistically the CPU would still hold you back in most games.

Thanks TerrorFirmer. Very helpful and knowledgeable on all things GFX related as always :-)

The HD 5450 card that I have in the PC is PCIe 2.1.

The HD 5670 I am proposing is PCIe 2.1

The cards you mentioned (HD7730, HD7750) are PCIe 3.0.
    Would that cause any problem?

MtM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Thanks TerrorFirmer. Very helpful and knowledgeable on all things GFX related as always :-)

The HD 5450 card that I have in the PC is PCIe 2.1.

The HD 5670 I am proposing is PCIe 2.1

The cards you mentioned (HD7730, HD7750) are PCIe 3.0.
    Would that cause any problem?

MtM

No they will be grand. It will be difficult to find passively cooled versions of them if that is what you are looking for, but the fan versions shouldnt make much noise at all during media playback etc.

Folks,

I'm finding it hard to source a silent ATi Radeon HD 5670.

What is the nVidia equivalent? 9800 GT?

MtM

anyone?

Does it definitely need to be passive? The only time i hear the fan on the graphics card is when gaming. You will still have case fans going the whole time.

I would also recommend looking at some of the newer cards as opposed to the 5670, a lot with have more process power fr the same or less power draw, whihc will be easier to cool and quieter than older cards.

What are you planning to play, and what is the resolution of your screen?

Edit: from the picture on this advert it looks like its a passively cooled 5670

http://www.adverts.ie/other-computers/radeon-hd5670/8815107

If you go for it, keep an eye on temps at the start to make sure there is enough airflow in the case to cool the card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Lu gave some good advice.

As for your question me finks a GT 440 would be the equivalent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I got a cheap gt 730 on ebay for a similar old passive build. Try to get a ddr5 version though. Unfortunately my budget build was hampered by a dodgy pcie slot stuck at 1x speed.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Does it definitely need to be passive? The only time i hear the fan on the graphics card is when gaming. You will still have case fans going the whole time.

I would prefer passive, as the PC is on an upstairs wooden floor.
    My previous experience of video card fans is that they are much louder than the stock Dell PSU and system case fans.
    I would also recommend looking at some of the newer cards as opposed to the 5670, a lot with have more process power fr the same or less power draw, whihc will be easier to cool and quieter than older cards.

Will do, thanks. Hopefully, the Dell PSU can handle it.
    What are you planning to play, and what is the resolution of your screen?

Far Cry 2 - screen resolution is 1600x1200
    Edit: from the picture on this advert it looks like its a passively cooled 5670
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-computers/radeon-hd5670/8815107
    If you go for it, keep an eye on temps at the start to make sure there is enough airflow in the case to cool the card

That one might work - thanks.

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

If you have not already maybe something makeshift like these for under your case.Can reduce vibration and helps airflow not having case withdirect contact on surface.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000SAJK1M/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1452078172&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=pc+case+stands&dpPl=1&dpID=410wYWLjoCL&ref=plSrch#

Passive limits you hugely in the 2nd hand market, and most video cards would be no louder than the dell stock fan either!

Something like this would be perfect and is E40 delivered.

Would play Far Cry 2 at 1600x900 at highest settings fine.

Havent tried it, but possibly you could get a slightly higher card (HD7770 maybe) and underclock it and set up a low fan profile in afterburner. A bit of tinkering should reduce the fan noise below the other components in the case, and you have the potential to up the speed (sacrificing silence) if its really struggling with games in the future.

Havent tried it, but possibly you could get a slightly higher card (HD7770 maybe) and underclock it and set up a low fan profile in afterburner. A bit of tinkering should reduce the fan noise below the other components in the case, and you have the potential to up the speed (sacrificing silence) if its really struggling with games in the future.

Requires six pin power connection, which he's not going to have, and probably doesn't have enough free connectors for an adaptor....even if he did, a 7770 would be pushing a 180w power supply.

Advertisement