Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time build.

Options
  • 30-11-2015 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Sister wants to get nephew gaming pic for Christmas. Her budget is around 600 (with some presents such as keyboard/mice,speakers). Ideally will need to play most games and I need everything (monitor, windows, case, components). ]ideally if there's a good bargain today I'll buy straight away so any advice on where to start?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74542374

This is the fundamental stating point for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

Thanks, i was looking for that template!

1. What is your budget? [€600] (Small degree of flexibility as some smaller components will be gif
    ted by relatives)
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games) Gaming mostly, nephew is into his FPS via console at the moment and wants to move to pc gaming.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility) Not really, have an old pc there but nothing worth re-using.

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.] [ideally 22/24 but as far as budget willla allow]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] PC will be for nephew so his parents may not be comfortable with it.

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] Any

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days] asap for prechristmas delivery/building (i'll be building the machine for nephew)

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.] Based in Dublin, work in IT so should be ok to build but may need advice on some finer points.

edit: he has access to hdtv with extra hdmi ports if that would suffice as a suitable monitor?

So a quick trawl of similarly priced threads and i've come up with this:

http://www.hardwareversand.de/pcconfigurator.jsp?pcConfigurator.asid=1361203&pcConfigurator.gpOnly=0

HV20I417DE Intel Core i3-4170 3,7GHz LGA1150 3MB Cache Boxed CPU 119,99 €
    HV1148UFDE ASUS H81-Plus, Sockel 1150, ATX 60,99 €
    HV20MI48DE 8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 40,99 €
    HV203AXCDE Aerocool GT-A Midi-Tower - weiß Window 71,99 €
    HVR630L8DE be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM 630 Watt 84,99 €
    HV0758768601DE Sale: Sapphire Radeon R9 285 ITX Compact OC, 2GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort, lite retail 203,21 €
    HV13SB71DE Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s 49,99 €
    HV12SE82DE Samsung SSD 850 EVO SATA 6Gb/s 250 GB 79,99 €
    HVZPCDE Rechner - Zusammenbau 14,99 €

Total value: 727,13 €

bit out of budget but the graphics card is on sale today down from 300 to 200, what do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Change the power supply for something cheaper yet reliable.

something like this would be fine.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/600+-+700+Watts/150977/Corsair+VS+Serie+V650%2C+Non-Modular%2C+80%2B.article

But you would even get away with a 500-550 one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Lower case to one around 50 ish.

Like royal said. Change psu

Why you getting the itx card? Can get a 380 4gb for same ish price.

• Advertisement

Have lowered the psu to the one suggested,

Graphics cards wouldn't be my area of specialiality but spotted the itx card so have swapped it out for a msi geforce gtx960 bringing it to a total of 714 which the sister is happy to stretch to.

Maybe swap the psu to be quiet 7 500whttp://www.hardwareversand.de/resource?articleId=74174&size=5

Has 8 pin power cables with detachable 2 pin.which might help you in the future.

which model psu is that?

which model psu is that?

Be quiet system 7 500w. Its a lesser watt. But has the connections that would be needed for a bigger GPU down the road.

Have a look at the nanoxia deep silence 3 case 69. Good all rounder case.

sounds good, i see on various threads people say it can be gotten for €20 from reddit, are they legit copies?

• Advertisement
Advertisement