Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to ask ....

Options
  • 30-11-2015 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Planning on getting a wireless monitored alarm system installed in my house and was looking for some advice on what I should be asking the installers that are quoting me.

Want to make sure to get usual details of warranty / maintenance costs involved in each system.

Any recommendation of systems / features would be great - seen ones that use shock / inertia sensors, others are motion sensors and more are curtain motion sensors. TBH not sure which is best

Also, reading bout jammers etc should the wireless system I get have any features to combat this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Hi guys,

Planning on getting a wireless monitored alarm system installed in my house and was looking for some advice on what I should be asking the installers that are quoting me.

Want to make sure to get usual details of warranty / maintenance costs involved in each system.

Any recommendation of systems / features would be great - seen ones that use shock / inertia sensors, others are motion sensors and more are curtain motion sensors. TBH not sure which is best

Also, reading bout jammers etc should the wireless system I get have any features to combat this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

First off ensure that who ever you decide to do the install is licensed by the Private Security Authority. That ticks all the boxes with regard to the law, appropriate standards and the installers insurance and basically that hopefully they are a reputable company.
    The best designed system is one which uses inertia shock sensors and contacts to all of your vulnerable windows and doors. These should then be backed up by at least 2 passive infrared detectors.
    A system just comprised of passive infrared beams, or beams with cameras in them are not the best as they only activate and notify you after the intruder is actually in your home.
    Hoodies which are a very common item of clothing and which burglars are known to wear are great at covering up their faces, so no amount of sales talk usually by those who have little knowledge or care will change that fact.
    There are plenty of different manufacturers on the market, the vast majority of them can be installed by any company. Just be careful that you don't find yourself with a system that can be only serviced and monitored by one company.

Now don't get confused with wireless and jammers. Wireless in our lingo means that the detectors are not wired back to the panel, but use a recognised frequency as per EN50131 for connecting with their respective control panel.
    Where Jammers come into the equation is, some systems out there use GSM units as their primary way of transmitting activation's to monitoring stations. Jammers are designed to block the GSM signal in that particular area so the GSM cannot communicate.
    There are plenty of other ways in which an alarm can be connected to a monitoring station, speak to your potential installer about these, for example there is traditional telephone lines, radio communicators, IP, Polling etc.
    I will leave it there and let other installers give you the advantages of one manufacturer over another.
    I hope that helps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

All of the above.
    Insist on a callout and a full system design proposal in writing before you agree to anything.
    Also check whats included in maintenance & monitoring charges. Some limit the number of calls & the labour time etc.
    Also if looking at IP systems check the charges for apps & their use. Most are free but some charge for both apps & their usage with monthly charges & subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Thanks for that lads - will take those points on board

Advertisement