Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article in Independent today

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

What a pointless and ridiculous article. I guess you can't really expect much more from the indo.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

"the street is deserted but for teenagers looking to buy ecstasy"

"It can get hairy at times, but it's all down to drink"

At least he's not blaming the drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

Pointless is right, you could substitute pretty much any city into the title of that article. Drunk people talking rubbish, fighting and urinating in the street outside nightclubs in the early hours of the morning. That's up there with the news that 'the world is round'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Predictable gutter journalism. If the writer really thinks this only goes on in one city or town then they really do live a very sheltered life.

No real surprise it's found it's way into Indo though, it's what they do best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Not from Limerick but what he sees is.

1) 19 years olds looking for yokes. Which could be anything. Marijuana more likely.
    2) a guy peeing.
    3) a taxi driver with a story.
    4) man gets kicked out of night club and shouts.

I'd honestly walk past that kind of thing on a Friday and not even notice. Wayne is a precious flower.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

yokes is yokes, is yips, is pills, is disco biscuits, is eccies, is e is ecstasy

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

There's a thread on the Galway forum discussing a spate of unprovoked assaults in that city.An assault in Cork city centre yesterday evening yet the Independent decide to print a non story to portray Limerick in a negative slant yet again.I suppose the thinking in the head office was that we can't be having people thinking that bad things happen in Galway and other places.We better write up some sort of botch job article on Limerick again sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Has anyone seen the article in the paper. Supposedly it's a tiny write up in corner of the page? Seems worse as a stand alone article online.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most people with half a brain can see right through these rubbish articles. Not only does it describe every city in Ireland it describes pretty much every city in the world.

I have pretty much given up on reading papers, be that online or in physical form. Mainly online as now it's just thousands of click bait articles about rubbish. It's so hard to find good articles these days it's not even worth bothering. Have also unliked dozens of pages on Facebook and Twitter that continually feed my news feeds with pure muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

The Waterford Whispers seems to have taken their own slant on it http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/11/30/these-pubs-all-closed-at-2-30am-what-happened-next-will-amaze-you/

People walking around at 1am are drunk, story of the century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Ironically this other story was linked on the same page.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/streets-of-chaos-no-one-paid-any-heed-as-brawl-lasted-15-minutes-34244927.html

Makes Limerick look sort of boring by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

It feels like the article is a blog post as opposed to an news piece? Strange journalism.

From the comments of the blog post "Good journalism promotes debate and here we are". I don't think it is counted as debate when people are questioning the actual purpose of the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

My reply to the author would be 'cool story bro'

Advertisement