Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your handwriting like?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

When I was a yung un I used to write the number 3 backwards, like it was the way lefties were supposed to write it!?

Well some little un's did the same with ticks and never stopped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I'm a leftie and I also smudge when I'm writing and it is very annoying, I avoid gel pens and shiny paper like the plague! When I was small I sometimes ticked boxes backwards too or like Dr. Robotnik, I wrote my threes and sometimes 'C' backwards too, but I grew out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I'm a leftie and I also smudge when I'm writing and it is very annoying, I avoid gel pens and shiny paper like the plague! When I was small I sometimes ticked boxes backwards too or like Dr. Robotnik, I wrote my threes and sometimes 'C' backwards too, but I grew out of it.

Yeah, I am a leftie too. And from a family of doctors/pharmacists...
    Thats my excuse for bad handwriting and I am sticking to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I break into a mild panic at the thought of writing by hand. Going away cards are my nemesis.

As above it's a mixture of cursive and badly written block capitals. Have been told my cursive is more readable, which is saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I have my own font.

"Bloody Awful, Size 10"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's OK I guess but certainly not anything I'd be proud of. Having used computers extensively for the last 20 years or so in daily use the quality had dropped off quite badly. I made the decision a few months ago that I wanted to improve it and so bought myself some decent pens from jetpens.com and good quality inexpensive notepads from eBay. The intention is to practice a little during the week and work on it gradually. It's amazing the difference a decent pen makes.
    Style wise it's a little unusual as I write everything in block capitals..... I just liked how it looked and stuck doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm ready to be accused of being a sociopath/bed-wetter/genius by any graphologists who may be around...

Badly Writing Boy.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I did learn cursive but somehow my writing is just very straight and wide, which gives it a child-like appearance.

Does that make you feel precious?* :pac:

* Powerfully uncool 'Friends' reference alert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

When I started school (mid 1970's) we were beaten for writing with our left hand by an auld battle axe of a teacher.
    As a result my writing has always been terrible, I hate to have to write stuff that people see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

_Brian wrote: »
    When I started school (mid 1970's) we were beaten for writing with our left hand by an auld battle axe of a teacher.
    As a result my writing has always been terrible, I hate to have to write stuff that people see.

Jesus, I thought that practice stopped in the 50s!

Learning to write with a fountain pen was my biggest leftie trauma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Mine's not very pretty, but I think it's quite clear and legible, when I take my time at it. For study notes and exams etc, I always need to use four pens (black, blue, red and green) and I have my own little system for what colour I use for different headings etc. :o

My signature is usually an illegible scrawl though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Mine was brutal, then when I went to college I just had to start writing in block capitals, it's the only way I write now, anything else and I can't even read it so no hope for anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

starts out good and legible but deteriorates during the day. it is legible to everyone though so I guess thats a good thing. I'm a leftie, write up straight, don't smudge, can't understand how some lefties write hooked arm style. tick boxes randomly either the right or the left way depending on the mood. it is much easier the leftie way though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I write like a teenager - quite big and clear, but not very tidy. It's gotten a lot worse since I was younger too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Xaracatz wrote: »

My signature is missing about half the letters in my name though. With a random dot somewhere above where the "i" should be.
    My signature (or autograph as I like to call it :pac: ) only has 8 letters, yet as the years progress, the 'n' in my surname is slowly disappearing into oblivion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

My signature (or autograph as I like to call it :pac: ) only has 8 letters, yet as the years progress, the 'n' in my surname is slowly disappearing into oblivion...

I have mine down to two letters, a forgers delight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Mines not good at all since leaving school 4 years ago.
    I mostly do everything on the computer, or take down notes on my phone -shopping/to do lists.
    And I normally fill out forms on the pc and then print it.
    I rarely write down anything anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mine is essentially just joined-up block capitals, except the letter 'e' which is sometimes upper-case, sometimes lower-case, depending on a range of factors I haven't quite been able to establish yet.

When I was in primary school (maybe secondary school.. whenever it would have been taught, I can't remember) and we were learning how to do joined writing, I was actually told by my teacher at the time to stop, because it was so illegible.

So, that sort of sums up how my handwriting is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Dyspraxia dictates that mine is awful.

• Advertisement

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Dyspraxia dictates that mine is awful.

Ah when the Dysgraphia kicks in. Wonderful, huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Ah when the Dysgraphia kicks in. Wonderful, huh?

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Very neat the majority of the time.

My signature still looks like someone in primary school did it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

My handwriting wishes it looked like chicken scratch. Dyspraxia's a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cadea

My surname ends in *ton so one of my old teachers called me Scribbleton.

Tbh that was him being kind to my handwriting, it's really bad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Like the missing link between Sanskrit and Hieroglyphics and just as legible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if you saw my handwriting you'd swear it was from a 10 yr old kid with learning difficulties ....its mortifying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The funny thing is, if I'm really careful and take time to write correctly, it still looks like crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

mine seems to change every time I write....Some days I get very creative with big loops and sharp angles.....wouldn't be out of place spray painted onto to the side of a New York subway train

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

Mine started out quite good in primary, went downhill from there, quickly.
    Used to be ambidextrous for a number of years as a child, identical with both hands. (also I began school in '89 the first two years, was berated by the teacher for using my left hand...)

Was taught cursive but it's terrible due to rushing it. When I started secondary,(using pen) that's when I had learn the lefties trick(long since it became dominant) so I wasn't smudging the fcuk outta everything.

My writing is atrocious now but my signature is bloody nice imo, perfectly legible and very consistent. But that took a lot of practice.

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

Citogs are awesome (obviously, there's loads of us here on boards it seems)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

can't understand how some lefties write hooked arm style.

I'm not a leftie myself but that does look extremely awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

I used to have decent enough writing then I learned to type. I type 60+ words per minute and could type all day but I can't write as fast as I type and that frustrates me :D My writing is pure muck, my hand is exhausted after 4 sentences and can't read it either :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

My handwriting looks like a hundred spiders took a thousand sh1ts all over the page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

At it's worst, my handwriting can look like lines on a life support machine.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

It's grand until I start writing fast, which is often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Meh, not doctor bad but considering I've been an English teacher for ages, it could be way more legible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I have very neat handwriting apparently, it's one of my many amazing attributes!:pac::pac:

Just kidding, only my writing is good.

:(:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement